Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1651
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryonapple View Post
maybe yours was a brand new unit, that would explain why there are no upgrades.
No really. I got mine like a month or more ago and it was a refurb. It came in a plain white box and everything was up to spec. No extras. But I am glad that the unit was in fine condition and couldn't tell it was a refurb.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:51 PM   #1652
locksmack
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I ordered a refurb 21.5" base model (2.5ghz) on Thursday night and received it on Monday morning. I am from Australia.

Aside from the white box, it looks and feels 100% like a new machine. I am very happy that I went the refurb route. Unfortunately I didn't win the refurb lottery - got exactly what I paid for.

I plan on adding 16gb ram (20gb total) aswell as an SSD if I ever work up the courage to open this baby up.
locksmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1653
tWoSour
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
got my 21.5" 2.8ghz i7 refurb last night (after a Sandy shipping delay)....and it came with 8gb of RAM! Was hoping for a 2tb hdd, but I'll take the extra ram. And its 2 4gb sticks, so I still have 2 slots free.
__________________
Red Sox Nation
"Songs were long and grass was cheap, no cellphones and the water was free" - The Wreckers
tWoSour is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:53 AM   #1654
danish.
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
how do you know it was new vs used refurb? i was under the impression even new refurbs came in the white box and had a new serial number applied?
I guess it could be a refurb, but I bought it from a physical store and it wasn't branded as a refurb. Incidentally, Apple don't do refurbs on their Danish website, and they don't have any physical stores here either, so I got my iMac from an authorised reseller. Pretty sure it's new
__________________
2013 MacBook Air 13" - 2011 iMac 21.5" - iPhone 5 - iPad Air - ATV2 - 16GB iPod Nano 5G - 80GB iPod Classic
danish. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1655
Nygiantsfan760
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
27 inch i5 refurb

Hey guys.

I just ordered a 27 inch i5 refurb from the store this evening. I will keep everyone posted on the additional goodies if they are included.

Very excited, this is my first Mac since my 1980s IIGS!
Nygiantsfan760 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:54 AM   #1656
KeenanKoso
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Got a call from the apple store today. They ended up replacing my entire LED screen.

Last edited by KeenanKoso; Nov 9, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
KeenanKoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1657
precV
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I ordered a refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 on November 1st (last Thursday) and it was delivered today.

I couldn't be happier...mine came with the full set of upgrades! Everything was doubled. 8GB of RAM, 2TB hard drive, and 2GB video RAM. Awesome.

That was just icing on the cake as obviously it would have been a joy to use even as ordered, but it sure made my day.
precV is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1658
hamkor04
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
2012 base or 2011 top?

Hi guys
I was waiting for iMac since last April, but finally "out" but not much interested as before, but recently when I went through new iMacs specs, pretty disappointed, as base models still have 5400HDD and + non user upgradable RAM. So we don't know how Apple price "additional" 4GB ram. What we know, it's pretty annoying who got little budget(£1100) as myself., that too much for memory and better storage.
I sold my MBP 17 2010. and will be without mac in 2 days So there is no way to wait till December for 27 (even I have enough cash for it)
But can you share your thoughts, what is best solution? Is that 2011 iMac 27 base model or high end models have better performance than 2012 21 base models? I mean, If i can get one of the 2011 27 (Refubs) for that money.
There are things what Im gonna do.
I know there is no USB3 in 2011

-Need SSD
-Parallels + W7 (Visual Studio and other not big things)
-Auto CAD 2013
- and post power hungry, Video processing (volunteered somewhere, don;t think i am gonna do Hollywood quality processing)
I never done this video process before(Well, did i guess), So don't know how much power I will need

Any ideas will be appreciated
Thanks
__________________
“All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.”

Last edited by hamkor04; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
hamkor04 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1659
MsDalfo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by precV View Post
I ordered a refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 on November 1st (last Thursday) and it was delivered today.

I couldn't be happier...mine came with the full set of upgrades! Everything was doubled. 8GB of RAM, 2TB hard drive, and 2GB video RAM. Awesome.

That was just icing on the cake as obviously it would have been a joy to use even as ordered, but it sure made my day.
This is what I was aiming for while checking the refurb store these past couple of weeks, but I was happy to get an i5 27" as well for my uses (I think I decided it wasn't worth the extra money, and finally, the store made the decision for me. Don't expect to regret it...? Heh).

I forgot you could even get a iMac with 2GB VRAM! I'm so jealous! Why don't they post that info in the refurb store... that's what I want (really, I just want to get lucky like you did ).

Just ordered a 27" i5, 1GB GPU, 4GB RAM 2011 iMac a couple of minutes ago! Finally made the plunge after months of deliberating. I will be upgrading the RAM, unless I get that bump that some people are talking about!

Edit: I just called in and cancelled the order. I'm going to go ahead and wait until the new 27" generation is in stores in December; hopefully get another 50-100 bucks off.

Last edited by MsDalfo; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
MsDalfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:54 PM   #1660
Loudness
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tWoSour View Post
got my 21.5" 2.8ghz i7 refurb last night (after a Sandy shipping delay)....and it came with 8gb of RAM! Was hoping for a 2tb hdd, but I'll take the extra ram. And its 2 4gb sticks, so I still have 2 slots free.
This is exactly the same config I just bought.
Originally said it came with 4GB ram, but it has 8.
Loudness is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1661
precV
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDalfo View Post
This is what I was aiming for while checking the refurb store these past couple of weeks, but I was happy to get an i5 27" as well for my uses (I think I decided it wasn't worth the extra money, and finally, the store made the decision for me. Don't expect to regret it...? Heh).

I forgot you could even get a iMac with 2GB VRAM! I'm so jealous! Why don't they post that info in the refurb store... that's what I want (really, I just want to get lucky like you did ).

Just ordered a 27" i5, 1GB GPU, 4GB RAM 2011 iMac a couple of minutes ago! Finally made the plunge after months of deliberating. I will be upgrading the RAM, unless I get that bump that some people are talking about!

Edit: I just called in and cancelled the order. I'm going to go ahead and wait until the new 27" generation is in stores in December; hopefully get another 50-100 bucks off.
I'm sure you won't regret it. The new 27" looks great and if it weren't for the fact that I needed to replace a dying 24" 2008 iMac, I might have waited myself.
precV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:53 PM   #1662
MsDalfo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by precV View Post
I'm sure you won't regret it. The new 27" looks great and if it weren't for the fact that I needed to replace a dying 24" 2008 iMac, I might have waited myself.
Oh, I'm still getting a refurb. :3

I wish they still had 24" iMacs! That's the perfect size.
__________________
Refurb 2011 27" iMac, i5, 2TB HD, 8GB RAM, 1GB VRAM | 2007 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160GB HD
iPhone 4, 8GB | iPod Mini, "Newer" 6th Gen | iPod Video, 30GB
MsDalfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1663
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Discover card showed up today, making for 10% cashback until the end of December. Not waiting though, grabbed a 27" i7 tonight. Hoping for extra upgrades. I already have an SSD sitting on my desk, ready to be installed once it shows up. Was going to order RAM, but figure I should probably wait if mine happens to show up with freebies
__________________
2.93 quadcore hackintosh, Dell mini hackbook, 16GB 3Gs
amemoryoncelost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:00 AM   #1664
veryevilash
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by amemoryoncelost View Post
Discover card showed up today, making for 10% cashback until the end of December. Not waiting though, grabbed a 27" i7 tonight. Hoping for extra upgrades. I already have an SSD sitting on my desk, ready to be installed once it shows up. Was going to order RAM, but figure I should probably wait if mine happens to show up with freebies

Just ordered the same one. Figured I'd save a bunch of cash. I like the built in optic drive anyway. Got next day shipping but won't arrive til next Monday or Tuesday. First mac for me!
veryevilash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:12 PM   #1665
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryevilash View Post
Just ordered the same one. Figured I'd save a bunch of cash. I like the built in optic drive anyway. Got next day shipping but won't arrive til next Monday or Tuesday. First mac for me!
I almost paid more for shipping, but with the weekend in sight and not being able to get it at the earliest until Monday, figured I'd save the extra money and get it when I get it.
__________________
2.93 quadcore hackintosh, Dell mini hackbook, 16GB 3Gs
amemoryoncelost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:23 PM   #1666
veryevilash
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by amemoryoncelost View Post
I almost paid more for shipping, but with the weekend in sight and not being able to get it at the earliest until Monday, figured I'd save the extra money and get it when I get it.
Got an email today saying to expect it tomorrow already!
veryevilash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:25 PM   #1667
amemoryoncelost
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by veryevilash View Post
Got an email today saying to expect it tomorrow already!
Jealous! I'm out until Monday. Anxious to see if we get any freebies!
__________________
2.93 quadcore hackintosh, Dell mini hackbook, 16GB 3Gs
amemoryoncelost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:45 AM   #1668
mlh324
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
help me decide

Like most everyone who is looking/waiting on the new iMacs, I've been waffling over a refurb '11 vs. waiting it out for the '12/'13 model. Am I splitting hairs by trying to decide which is best for me? If I'm going to be using this for family photos, home movie making, and video/tv watching (going with 27") does it really matter which model I choose? One day I think it would be better to go refurb and put the $$$ I save into another goodie like TC. The next day I think I should wait, skip the TC and go BTO with a fusion drive. I'm stuck in over-analyzation mode right now.
mlh324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1669
Phx08
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh324 View Post
Like most everyone who is looking/waiting on the new iMacs, I've been waffling over a refurb '11 vs. waiting it out for the '12/'13 model. Am I splitting hairs by trying to decide which is best for me? If I'm going to be using this for family photos, home movie making, and video/tv watching (going with 27") does it really matter which model I choose? One day I think it would be better to go refurb and put the $$$ I save into another goodie like TC. The next day I think I should wait, skip the TC and go BTO with a fusion drive. I'm stuck in over-analyzation mode right now.

Really depends on your financial situation IMO. If you can afford to go for th newer one, why not?
__________________
11' iMac | 27"|16 GB RAM | Ipad 2| Iphone 4 x 2
Phx08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1670
MsDalfo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Got my i5 27" just now!

Got a free upgrade to a 2TB HD and 8 GB RAM. The thing I was crossing my fingers on, the 2GB VRAM, didn't come through, but I won't be gaming much anyhow. Exciting!

Gonna go exchange this keyboard for the numpad one now.
__________________
Refurb 2011 27" iMac, i5, 2TB HD, 8GB RAM, 1GB VRAM | 2007 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160GB HD
iPhone 4, 8GB | iPod Mini, "Newer" 6th Gen | iPod Video, 30GB
MsDalfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:42 PM   #1671
jmah88
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDalfo View Post
Got my i5 27" just now!

Got a free upgrade to a 2TB HD and 8 GB RAM. The thing I was crossing my fingers on, the 2GB VRAM, didn't come through, but I won't be gaming much anyhow. Exciting!

Gonna go exchange this keyboard for the numpad one now.
Is it free to do the exchange? Also was your iMac 27" the base model? I'm super happy you got the upgrade. What are the chances of getting up
Grades people?

Thanks
jmah88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1672
MsDalfo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmah88 View Post
Is it free to do the exchange? Also was your iMac 27" the base model? I'm super happy you got the upgrade. What are the chances of getting up
Grades people?

Thanks
I called the Customer Service number before I clicked "buy," and they verified that they would exchange it at the store. I'm still weary, but I guess i'll find out when i take it in (typing with the plastic still on, lol).

The only upgrade I got on it was the 1GB VRAM. Everything else was base i believe (the 1.6k one that's currently stocked).

Edit: They took the keyboard back (in its refurbished packaging), gave me a brand new one, and actually gave me a credit! The numpad keyboard is about 20 dollars cheaper.
__________________
Refurb 2011 27" iMac, i5, 2TB HD, 8GB RAM, 1GB VRAM | 2007 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160GB HD
iPhone 4, 8GB | iPod Mini, "Newer" 6th Gen | iPod Video, 30GB

Last edited by MsDalfo; Nov 19, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
MsDalfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:26 AM   #1673
jmah88
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
21.5" bonuses?

Hey everyone - has anyone ordered a refurb 21" 500 gb HDD, and got any additional bonuses? I'm thinking of going to the base of the base model, however, the HDD is rather small. Rather save a bit of money instead of the 2012 new one that never comes out.

Thanks!

JM
jmah88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:34 AM   #1674
Soul2Squeeze
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Talking Got it! 27" / 3.4GHz i7 / 3TB HD / 32GB RAM

Just got my new 27" today!

I send lots of e-mails and like to surf the interwebs on occasion. Will this configuration be able to handle my usage?

27" iMac
3.4 GHz i7
3TB HDD
32 GB RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB
Thunderbolt

Soul2Squeeze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:27 AM   #1675
MsDalfo
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul2Squeeze View Post
Just got my new 27" today!

I send lots of e-mails and like to surf the interwebs on occasion. Will this configuration be able to handle my usage?

[specs]

I think you're def. gonna need to upgrade to 64 GB RAM.
__________________
Refurb 2011 27" iMac, i5, 2TB HD, 8GB RAM, 1GB VRAM | 2007 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160GB HD
iPhone 4, 8GB | iPod Mini, "Newer" 6th Gen | iPod Video, 30GB

Last edited by MsDalfo; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
MsDalfo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
imac 2011, thunderbolt

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "I just bought/ordered/got/shipped my new iPhone 5s/5c" thread, [Merged] karboN.6 iPhone 2770 Jul 25, 2014 03:58 PM
The "I just ordered / bought / got my new/refurb Mac Mini" threads, merged MacRansom Mac mini 336 Jul 20, 2014 08:03 PM
The "I just ordered/bought/got my new/refurb Mac Pro" thread [merged] Einz Mac Pro 2125 Jul 2, 2014 12:16 PM
The "I just ordered/bought/got my new Mac Pro" thread zarf2007 Mac Pro 2 Dec 22, 2013 06:12 AM
iPad: The "I just bought/ordered/got/shipped my new iPad Air" thread hallidc iPad 217 Nov 21, 2013 03:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC