Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Ok now you're just going into details. Columns or lines does not make a email/calendar function ''real''. You said the features were not present in the KRZR and I proved you wrong. Just admit that you were wrong and move on.

Ask him how well the original iPhone handled MMS messages, or what quality its video camera was, or how well its 3G worked, or optional GPS navigation... all available common capabilities that the KRZR had... and the original iPhone did not.

The vast bulk of Android phones seems to be made up of the free/cheap low-end models. Therefore, it is entirely possible for the free/cheap low-end models to be solely responsible for the high market share attributed to the Android group,

Free phones don't amount to much. They're mostly only available in the US, and people in the US statistically go after more expensive phones.

In much of the rest of the world, inexpensive phones do far better, due to both lack of subsidization and because they're a nice deal for the money.

So yes, probably about 2/3 of all Android sales are made up of low or mid range priced phones... which still have some pretty nice capabilities (many beyond the original iPhone's).

while high-end Android phones (the nice ones) still sell, but not in numbers high enough to give them notable market share.

In 2Q12 about 100 million Android phones were sold. Half of those were Samsungs, and 40% of those were SGS3s and Notes. Thus 20% of all Android sales are high end Samsung devices.

Throw in all the top phones from every manufacturer and I suspect high end is at least 1/3 of total Android sales. But let's say it's just 25%.

Because of the huge number of total Android sales, it works out that high end Android phones likely numerically sell as much or more than all types of iPhones sold each quarter. That seems notable.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Ask him how well the original iPhone handled MMS messages, or what quality its video camera was, or how well its 3G worked, or optional GPS navigation... all available common capabilities that the KRZR had... and the original iPhone did not.

He will probably end up saying how the KRZR does handle MMS the real way, video camera is useless when crappy, 3G is unecessary on a dumbphone and GPS navigation is not handled the real way because it is not voice controlled.

----------

In 2Q12 about 100 million Android phones were sold. Half of those were Samsungs, and 40% of those were SGS3s and Notes. Thus 20% of all Android sales are high end Samsung devices.

Throw in all the top phones from every manufacturer and I suspect high end is at least 1/3 of total Android sales. But let's say it's just 25%.

Because of the huge number of total Android sales, it works out that high end Android phones likely numerically sell as much or more than all types of iPhones sold each quarter. That seems notable.

I was going to mention that but got too lazy to search for the right numbers

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
How is it too small? I remember people bitching it was too big in 2007. It's a phone, get a tablet if you want a big screen IMO.

That was 2007...

Feel Apple should go to 4.2 to 4.5 inches. 5.5 is just way to big 3.5 was way to small. 4-inches is still on the small side.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Lol they lowered the price on a couple carriers because its almost a year old, a shame how the iphone is always playing catchup to the galaxy

In what way?

----------

It'd be interesting to see, but I honestly doubt it. Microsoft has *repeatedly* over-promised and *vastly* under-delivered with their cell-phone OSs over the years. It'll take something *spectacular*, not just 'almost as good as the other guys' to convince most people to take a chance with them *again*. They've flubbed it twice since the original release of the iPhone, and that's still recent-enough history for people to remember.

do you have a Windows Phone? You might be surprised if you get a chance to actually use one.

realindoor

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Research firm Kantar Worldpanel shares its latest data on U.S. smartphone sales, calculating that a strong debut from the iPhone 5 has enabled Apple to retake the lead from Android in the race for the top platform. The report pegs Apple's share of the market during the August-October period at 48.1%, compared to 46.7% for Android.
Apple has, however, found stiffer competition from Android internationally, with Android holding 60-80% share in most other markets tracked by Kantar Worldpanel. Notable areas of weakness for Apple include Brazil (0.4%) and Spain (4.0%), but the company continues to perform fairly well in countries such as the the United Kingdom (32.7%) and Australia (29.4%).

The firm's surveys of U.S. iPhone customers finds a healthy 60/40 balance between upgrade buyers and new users, suggesting that Apple is continuing to see loyal customers while also attracting new users with the iPhone 5. According to the report, 92% of current Apple users indicate that they will purchase an iPhone as their next phone.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Retakes U.S. Smartphone Sales Lead from Android on iPhone 5 Strength

this is a bunch of bulls%!t..

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
ORLY?

Could you please elaborate on the great MMS support by the first gen iPhone?

I still remember the times when I was SO FN' EMBARASSED that my 600bucks iPhone directed mne to a webbrowser page...

...because it couldn't do MMS.

The Apple apologist at that time posted "Who needs MMS when you can use eMail?"

Could it be that you just forgot about how bad some implementations on the EDGE(!) iPhone were?

I didn't say anything about MMS I said 3rd party apps were added.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Apple will never increase the physical size of the iPhone. And iPhone Mini should be coming out soon.

You may be right. Steve himself decided that the iPhone 4 was the perfect phone, so why mess with a winning formula?

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Wake me up when ios can finally attach any file type and from any 3rd party storage like dropbox. Something that essential in email is not available. Dont tell me its cuz apple doesnt want you to access the filesystem. Thats just making excuses ... denial is not just a river in egypt.

karlwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008
I think that are 4 categories for Android and iOS:
1) Those who prefer iOS
2) Those who prefer Android
3) Those who despise iOS/Apple
4) Those who despise Android/Google

To each his own...

I'm in a fifth category. I despise iOS, but I prefer Apple hardware and love my iPhone 5 despite the stale and boring software.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
here in the middle east. galaxy s3 and galaxy note 2 are becoming the staples. a year ago everyone was sporting iphone. even HTC phones are becoming more popular.

not only that the cost of the cost of galaxy note 2 is surprisingly cheaper here than the iphone. unlike in the US.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
I have nothing against two strong contenders! Of course, they will overtake one another every now and then.

I think that are 4 categories for Android and iOS:
1) Those who prefer iOS
2) Those who prefer Android
3) Those who despise iOS/Apple
4) Those who despise Android/Google

To each his own... Although those in #3 and #4 should get a life...

At this point, RIM and MS should just be included in "others". On the other hand, I welcome them for trying.

im a 5th category. i hate ios i think it is restrictive. but i love the app store. i love android. lots of freedom. but not impressed with google play store.

Lahmy88

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
What doesn't kill the iPhone makes it stronger (better)!!!

I'm not an Apple investor, so why would I give a **** whether the iPhone has the most sales or not? You know what I'm interested in? The iPhone being the best phone with the best software! Why? Because I buy it, and will probably continue to buy it until it is clear there is a much better alternative. Strong competition will help keep Apple honest. The iPhone 5 is a work of engineering art! But.... iOS is stale. Apple maps was clearly a turn for the worst. Siri is something i never use.. anyone else? Dictation maybe. Here's to hoping iOS 7 is a return to awesomeness! Shouldn't have to wait for iOS 7 though. Give me iOS 6.1 with Google maps!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
im a 5th category. i hate ios i think it is restrictive. but i love the app store. i love android. lots of freedom. but not impressed with google play store.

How about people that like both and realize there are pluses and minuses to both OSes.

The problem with hyperbole (the poster you quoted) is ... it's hyperbole.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Pattern? It's happened exactly once. :D

I thought it had happened around both the 4s and 5 release (and was close to happening around the release of the 4), though I could be mistaken. That also seems to be around when the first high-end Android phones really started being competitive. (IMHO)

----------

This seems quite arbitrary and subjective, no?

Especially since the move from 3.5" to 4" didn't involve changing the size of the phone which matters most when holding it to talk on it. It's the width of the phone that matters most from the perspective of using it as a phone, and 1/2" of difference in that direction can be *huge* from the perspective of the phone being comfortable or even manageable. But that's also dependent upon a person's hand size, so it may make no difference whatsoever.

I've got slightly larger than average hands, and a work-phone (Thunderbolt) with a larger screen. The size of the phone itself isn't an issue for me, but that's because they went with the edge-to-edge screen, which results in parts of my hand or fingers regularly coming in contact with the touch screen unintentionally. That makes the phone a pain to use because suddenly it's not responding to my touch because some *other* part of the screen is registering a touch. I don't have that problem with my iPhone, because there's some distance between the corners of the screen and the corner of the phone itself.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I did not say "each file". Jailbreaking is too technical for regular user and will void your warranty.

Can you use your iPhone as USB storage?
Can you mount your iPhone as a drive on your Mac/PC?
Can you view your iPhone files and folders in the web browser over wi-fi?

Can you setup a backup of a certain iPhone file folder to an FTP site of your choice?

I've never had the need to do any of those things. Why would I use my iPhone as USB storage......I have tons of $10 thumb drives. What purpose would mounting the iPhone as a drive serve? Most people only have the 16 GB version - you can get 16 GB thumb drives/SD cards for $20. And if the backup works without me having to do anything, why would I care to backup one specific folder to some other site? What's the purpose of that if the inherent "backing up" purpose works seamlessly and in the background. I want my tech to work FOR me, not the other way around.

I'm cool with what the other poster said - adding iFile to the app store would be great for those who want it. But i disagree jailbreaking is too technical. The program does all the work, gives you instructions and count downs (in case you can't count to 5 on your own). And if you need to have a warranty fix - just restore it.

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
At the end of the day it's about personal preference. I think the iPhone 5 is a fantastic designed phone, but I personally find iOS too watered-down/limiting for my needs. My wife prefers iOS cause it's easier to use. I love apple's design and hardware but I think iOS needs a new haul ... it just feels kind of old.

I couldn't agree more about preference. People have ths immature idea that for one platform to be successful, another has to fail. Though I somewhat disagree with the idea of iOS needing an overhaul. It's part of the preference. True, some changes need to be made, but if iOS is changed to be more like Android it'd just be Android. I prefer iOS for its straight forwardness. Tap here to get the info you seek, swipe there to open the app you want etc. Sure, there are plenty of features that make Android convenient for some, but some (like myself) just find those features unneccessary and cumbersome. It's like the difference between PC and console gaming. PC gaming offers great graphics (if you keep your computer hardware current), a plethora of mods and customizable control features, but some people just like to buy a disc and pop it in to play at their television without a complicated setup. Either way, I'm glad both options exist for people like myself who prefer a lifestyle device I can put in my pocket and forget about until I need it and for people who need the power and customization of a pocket computer.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow your statement. Are you saying that because phones are subsidized in the US - that's why there's more iPhone sales in the US?

I'm saying that in a situation where Android does not have a price or distribution advantage, the iPhone has a higher market share than Android. The obvious example being AT&T (the only major US carrier with a free iphone option over the last year) where Android has neither of these advantages.

Outside the US, Android's advantages in these two areas are much more pronounced.

I think these are much more significant factors than openness, customization, or supposed technological/feature advantages of Android devices.

I thought it had happened around both the 4s and 5 release (and was close to happening around the release of the 4), though I could be mistaken. That also seems to be around when the first high-end Android phones really started being competitive. (IMHO)

I don't remember it happening before. And keep in mind that it only reportedly happened in the US this time, not globally.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Just a few comments. I think the idea of being able to use your phone as (also) a portable drive goes with the notion - less devices to carry around the better. You can't (in my opinion) criticize the idea that it's easier/makes more sense to carry just your phone vs carrying a phone and thumb drive. Especially if you have your phone around anyway.

As for my tech just working for me - again - if the phone acts also as a portable drive when needed. That's the point.

My "biggest" gripe about not having control over the file structure is when it comes to sharing across apps. Because with Apple it's not intuitive unless apps use the same targeted location - which isn't always the case. Nor do developers make sharing across their apps possible (in some cases). That's tech not working for me. On the flip side - on Android (which I am not claiming is a better OS) - you can pretty much save in the default location and/or move files to where you need them or at least access them in other apps regardless of what the OS or developer has programmed.

Apple is making improvements on sharing docs, etc as well. But I do believe that Android has sharing down much better. Not only across apps - but to various online services.

I've never had the need to do any of those things. Why would I use my iPhone as USB storage......I have tons of $10 thumb drives. What purpose would mounting the iPhone as a drive serve? Most people only have the 16 GB version - you can get 16 GB thumb drives/SD cards for $20. And if the backup works without me having to do anything, why would I care to backup one specific folder to some other site? What's the purpose of that if the inherent "backing up" purpose works seamlessly and in the background. I want my tech to work FOR me, not the other way around.

I'm cool with what the other poster said - adding iFile to the app store would be great for those who want it. But i disagree jailbreaking is too technical. The program does all the work, gives you instructions and count downs (in case you can't count to 5 on your own). And if you need to have a warranty fix - just restore it.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
That was 2007...

Feel Apple should go to 4.2 to 4.5 inches. 5.5 is just way to big 3.5 was way to small. 4-inches is still on the small side.

It needs to be 4.5" at least with an iPhone mini for those with tight, skinny, latex pants or just forget about it. I've been preaching the "bigger screen" mantra since I first put my hands on the HTC EVO and that's only 4.3" and is now rather average compared to my wife's SGIII or any other current gen Android/Windows handset.

do you have a Windows Phone? You might be surprised if you get a chance to actually use one.

Anyone . . . . ANYONE that pokes fun at Windows Phone or Windows 8 just hasn't used it. I have NEVER been an iOS fanboy but a Mac OSX fanboy I will be forever . . . . or so I thought. Until that fateful day, when I used Windows Mobile, Windows RT, and Windows 8 and saw a consistent computing experience across platforms, that pulled info from Dropbox/Skydrive/Google Drive far more seamlessly than the iCloud/MacOSX/iOS ecosystem.

It seems the only company not innovating is Apple.

Wake me up when ios can finally attach any file type and from any 3rd party storage like dropbox. Something that essential in email is not available. Dont tell me its cuz apple doesnt want you to access the filesystem. Thats just making excuses ... denial is not just a river in egypt.

Just one of the myriad of reasons Apple needs to step it up. iOS is getting as old and stale as Palm OS . . . and we all know what happened to them . . . the once king of the mountain top in mobile computing.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

So you're saying its notable that 3 iPhones sell about as many units as, oh I dunno, how many Android manufacturers are there? Samsung (they have probably 4 phones that qualify as "high-end", the GS3, Note, Note II, Nexus), HTC (quite a few, One X, One S, One XL?), LG, Motorola....I think you get the point.

None of what I'm saying means anything other than this: the iPhone is the most successful smartphone line there is sales-wise. Sure Samsung sells more than Apple, Android sells more than iOS - but those comparisons are more apples to oranges.

I don't know why those with Android phones feel some innate need to justify their purchase/likes with "Well Samsung sells more than Apple" or "Android sells as many high-end smartphones as iOS". This entire pi$$ing match centers on preference and emotion....which is why it's so asinine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.