Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
I hope Samsung keeps up the ads about how poor Apple Maps is because it is so true and Apple needs to learn some manners.

Manners? I don't recall seeing any iPhones using the wrong fork at the table or anything. What a strange thing to desire from a company.

I hope Samsung keeps up the ads, too, though. That one showing the line and the ridiculous caricatures of Apple customers? That one is priceless. I love how they show the two guys sharing a playlist with a touch and people caring about it like it's a real feature that you'd ever use. Or... when the dude says "I can watch a video while sending an email..." what? Because that's something anyone's ever been concerned about? If those are the 'standout features' of a GS3 / Android...

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
I wonder how many people here would be cheering on Apple if the rolls were reversed and Apple attacked another company. :rolleyes:

strum

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
There are many Samsungs. The one we are talking about here is Samsung Electronics which is a publicly traded company (just like Apple) and has nothing to do with the missiles (or ships to that matter).

Samsung Electronics is a subsidiary of the Samsung Group. So the weapons manufacturer created a subsidiary to make phones and TVs...

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
My household has two iPhones running iOS 6 and as an Apple supporter, I hope Samsung puts these things all over the world. This isn't just an Australia problem (although the Australia issue is the latest to be highly publicized.)

While Tim Cook says they're putting the full force of the company behind fixing the Apple Maps problem, I'm not convinced that Apple really understands the massive scope of the problem. I think releasing this marketing material worldwide would be a good thing.

That way, when Apple employees are out shopping anywhere but an Apple Store, they will see this advertising and maybe begin to get a grip on how much the decision to release a half-baked product could hurt Apple's bottom line. I hope the entire Apple team gets that message loud and clear so we don't see another screw up like this for a very long time.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
The Apple ads are done intelligently and funny. Samsung is doing it like a scorned lover and are not funny.

Quite often what one person sees as funny depends on which side of the fence of the issue you sit on. Obviously this time you're the target so it's not funny TO YOU. Samsung didn't mention Apple in the ad, merely implied, whereas Apple in the past directly compares their superiority to PCs. It's all marketing, if we can dish it out, we should be able to take it too.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
When did Samsung do this ? As an Apple user, I don't feel mocked by any of their ads.

If you waited in lines for Apple product releases, I could see feeling mocked. I don't see this advertisement re: maps as mocking users, but going after Apple's Maps (without naming it).

Luckily, I don't believe anyone died or I would say it's in very bad taste. I don't have a real problem with them using this as a marketing opportunity. Will it work? I'm not sure if it will really convert anyone, although if an iPhone user had been misdirected enough times by Apple Maps, perhaps it would. Will those who convert have a perfect experience in Google Maps? No, none of them are perfect as the world is constantly changing.

eleven59

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Really never understood the issues around maps. Its unbelieveable in Copenhagen. Whole metropolitan area (not really met area but still) with even things as farms etc being perfectly done.

thats the thing, i know plenty of iphone users who have said they dont have a problem at all, so apparently it depends on where you are? in the past 1-2 months ive used google maps on the desktop and 3x it has given me wrong directions, once to a place that doesnt even exist there anymore

doesnt sound like map creating is easy at all, and im sure google had issues when it first rolled its own maps out, but people love to bash apple- especially those who have never used a modern mac/apple product

it's funny bc i had an lg optimus running android and it didnt have flash either

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Samsung Electronics is a subsidiary of the Samsung Group. So the weapons manufacturer created a subsidiary to make phones and TVs...

...then I suppose you shouldn't be watching anything by NBC, Syfy, or even watch The Weather Channel or any movie from Universal because they're all owned by GE therefore you're supporting weapons oh noes... :rolleyes:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
...then I suppose you shouldn't be watching anything by NBC, Syfy, or even watch The Weather Channel or any movie from Universal because they're all owned by GE therefore you're supporting weapons oh noes... :rolleyes:

I was actually hoping Strum isn't American, because damn that would be the MOST hypocritical statement he could make! How many billions did they spend on weapons this year?

----------

Read your comment again, and try to think about how intelligent it is...

A damn site MORE intelligent then being a complete nationalist verging on racist.

But no you carry on, I mean why shouldn't you just state who cares about an entire country and then stereotype it just because they found an Apple product to endanger lives...

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I was actually hoping Strum isn't American, because damn that would be the MOST hypocritical statement he could make! How many billions did they spend on weapons this year?

----------

A damn site MORE intelligent then being a complete nationalist verging on racist.

It's best to ignore some people rather than stoop to their level.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
It's discouraging to see that some people are willing to make racist remarks to protect a multi-billion dollar company.

Daniel1895

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Haven't u herd that apple is not the only one whit problems in Australia google is also having problem whit the maps in Australia just google it and **** Samsung

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Well it's also true that Samsung builds missiles that kill people. And despite it being true, you don't see Apple running bloody war torn advertisements that state the truth, that if you buy a Samsung phone, you are funding a company that builds weapons to kill women and children.

You mean to say that the U.S. military does not use any Apple products or technology to support the wars we are fighting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.