Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
I'd love to see Apple Maps integration with Mac OS. I'm surprised they didn't do this before with Google Maps; it seems obvious.

Also, MacRumors should see a few 10.9.0 visits from this IP address ;)

----------

I want 10.9 to be named Lynx.
And some nice main color again, not that ugly new blue from 10.7/10.8. And actually intelligent features again like 10.6 brought. Throw away the useless Launchpad, throw away the oh-so-natural scrolling (it only feels natural when you do it on a touchscreen), throw away the crippled Exposé and Spaces (now Mission Control) and refine the 10.6 version of it. Give me some colors again for the mini-icons in the Finder sidebar. Color the QuickLook window neutral grey / transparent black again.

That's my wishlist.
An OS X useful for professionals and that doesn't suck like the last 2 releases.

I agree about the Finder stuff and QuickLook, but why throw away LaunchPad? It's useful for some, and you don't HAVE to use it. Same with the natural scrolling, but it should be off by default because it feels nowhere near natural for most of us, including me.

agmaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
They need to stop trying to make OS X into an iOS. Go back to how you were before 10.7 Apple! A fast and simple, yet full of features that make more sense for a computer user wanting to be productive. I'm still on 10.6.8 only because none of the "new" **copied from iOS, cough cough** features will make my Mac any more productive or easy to use than it already is. The only reason I can see Siri being useful is if it is integrated into iWork if I don't feel like typing which is a rare thing.. mostly cause I'm using a computer with an actual keyboard.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
And I'm still running 10.6 Snow Leopard. I am very satisfied by its looks and performance and don't see a need to upgrade. Well, I can't upgrade Aperture any more, the new version requires a Lion but I am pretty well off with its present features. All I gather is that the Lions require more memory which means upgrading will lead to more expenses. Will install one of these modern OSes when I upgrade my 2010 iMac to something more contemporary.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

Yes, there's nothing better than Apple's shameless and artificial limits for what software works on what hardware.

Unfortunately, when they now ramp up with more frequent releases on OS X, we'll see more of these limitations here as well. A selection of new features will only work on newly purchased Macs, and they will aggressively drop support for models more than 2 years old. Of course, when they sell computers or phones that are shamelessly low on RAM, and can't be upgraded, it's very easy for them to do this... All part of the plan.

There's no need to jump Apple's defense here, I am merely stating how their business model works... Just be ready with your $$$ if you want to be part it.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
OS X Thunder Cat
for 10.9
-this one will make your mac growl

OS X Hello Kitty 10.10 or OS X 11

-this one will make your mac purrr.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yep. Just what the world needs... people driving around with their 15" rMBP's perched on their dashboard.

I can see the stock price going through the roof again.

Nah, i can see it as more of an itinerary/route planning thing integrated with iCal.

Sync over iCloud to your phone / iPad for use when out of the office.

if they do that...

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'd love to see Apple Maps integration with Mac OS. I'm surprised they didn't do this before with Google Maps; it seems obvious.

I've seen people write this a few times, in fact someone wrote about having it on the Apple TV which for the life of me I cannot understand what you would use a map program on your Apple TV for.

But on your Mac, what would you use it for over the liteny of other mapping websites out there? Honest question, what advantage does it give?

The only advantage is if you could search POI's and plan a route on your Mac and send it to your iDevice for turn by turn guideance once out and about; but otherwise, I really see it as an extra app that gives nothing over what is already easily available and better. I would also say it should have all the map data downloaded for off line use on your Mac, otherwise it is useless without an internet connection and then you are looking at several gigs of space dedicated to this data set.

Tanguyvd

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
please add swagger! people need swagger, even BlackBerry is doing it

Mountain Swagger... has a nice ring to it. :rolleyes:

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
But on your Mac, what would you use it for over the liteny of other mapping websites out there? Honest question, what advantage does it give?

I've asked myself the same question and concluded that their is no advantage. The only reason Apple will introduce Maps to the Mac is to reduce people's dependency on Google Maps. Even Siri is an attack on Google Search.
OS X sounds like another part in Apple's war on Google and really wants to hit it's revenue.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
IBut on your Mac, what would you use it for over the liteny of other mapping websites out there? Honest question, what advantage does it give?

What's a liteny? No idea what that word means.

The advantage: Looking for places without Google knowing about it. And the maps should be quite good on a retina display.

What would be even better would be adding GPS to now MacBooks. They are portable computers, they can easily be taken into the car while driving and would give a nice, big display.

johanf

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
Sweden
We quit "up"-grading

Sorry Apple, but you forced us to halt at 10.6.8 by dropping Rosetta and we will not proceed paying you further.

In our company it is more important that all expensive and connected stuff are working and productive rather than getting iOS functions into our computers.

All our Apple computers work fine at 10.6.8. When they die, we will have to reconsider what to do. Then, unfortunately, the risk will be greater we will move away from the Apple system which we have used since 1984.

Continuity is important to us and many others. Todays compatibility nightmare with file type versions, application versions, OS versions and incompatible hardware versions will sooner or later cause our common society a lot of headache and trouble. A lot of information will be lost forever. :(

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
so, this is how its done via web logs...

Sneaky bastards :)

I doubt Maps would be part of anything anymore, let alone the need on OS X, because of the up-roar with Maps Apple had on IOS.

Apple seriously needs to "up-the-anti" on this first before committing Maps to anything else. Even though in areas, its ok, good on you, but there must be a stir somewhere.... millions of people can't be wrong....

Apple will fail at Maps, just like their failing at an Apple Television.....

Jumping head first into the deep end is not a smart move, unless you know how to swim first.

Siri on OS X would be ok, but i don't even use it on IOS.... Even so, it would be same limitations, not to mention server outages.....

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've seen people write this a few times, in fact someone wrote about having it on the Apple TV which for the life of me I cannot understand what you would use a map program on your Apple TV for.

Maps is more than an app.

it is an API that other apps can leverage to do stuff like integrate directions into your appointments for example, and help with travel time estimates between appointments.

Or suggest reminders for you to leave for a destination early due to live traffic conditions being worse than normal.

This is the sort of thing your current calandar does not do for example, which can catch you out when planning your day.

You're right, running the maps APP in a mac is a bit ... pointless. But other apps can use maps data, which is what I think the "maps integration" chatter is likely about.

edit:
maps data quality not withstanding... I believe the above is similar to what any "maps integration" on the mac will be for. more intelligent apps, rather than using your macbook as a portable map.

Last edited:

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
What's a liteny? No idea what that word means.

The advantage: Looking for places without Google knowing about it. And the maps should be quite good on a retina display.

What would be even better would be adding GPS to now MacBooks. They are portable computers, they can easily be taken into the car while driving and would give a nice, big display.

I made a spelling error; if you never have in your entire life then I bow to your greatness. Regular people make mistakes from time to time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.