Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
Does anyone have any experience with a dock similar to this.

It claims the following;

• Built in lightning to 30-pin adapter. you can use your 30-pin usb cable with this dock to charge or SYNC data.
    Unique Design for apple iPhone 5, small and light, easy to take away, Audio line out for you to connect the dock to speaker
    Elegant and compact designed white docking cradle, Perfect for your iPhone 5.
    you can connect the dock to your computer with the cable then place your iPhone 5 in the Dock to sync and charge the battery.
    Connect the dock to an electrical outlet using an Apple USB Power Adapter then place your iPhone 5 in the dock to charge the battery.

I couldn't imagine it would be much good for £11, but maybe worth a punt!

Attachments

• 41IY-21FMLL._SL500_.jpg
    41IY-21FMLL._SL500_.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 41Pkzk+b3tL.jpg
    41Pkzk+b3tL.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 94

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
It's not. I have the heavier version without audio. Which actually works ok but doesn't inspire confidence. The connector is cheap and the dock is light.

I can't dock casually because I'm afraid any side to side action could split the crappy connector. Whereas the original apple dock was very easy. This is time consuming. Probably about the same as just plugging in

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359250428.570527.jpg

S.L.

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2012
USA
Got my Braeburn Acoustics dock the other day. Has some weight to it, but still requires two hands to comfortably undock your phone. Your lightning cable can be adjusted to fit most cases, have my Draco case and it docks perfectly on the Braeburn. Dock is sturdy and phone is very secure. Sure, the added security of a back support would be nice, but I'm glad I finally bought the Braeburn. Should have gotten it months ago, but better late than never. :)

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
It's not. I have the heavier version without audio. Which actually works ok but doesn't inspire confidence. The connector is cheap and the dock is light.

I can't dock casually because I'm afraid any side to side action could split the crappy connector. Whereas the original apple dock was very easy. This is time consuming. Probably about the same as just plugging in

Thanks, I am always a slightly dubious about a dock that appears to offer the "sun, moon and the stars" with non branded and probably untested connectors.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Finally, something close to what I've been looking for!

It looks like Belkin updated their Lightning dock with a built-in connector!

It's $40 on Apple's site. I have no idea if it's in stores or not, but be careful. The one on Belkin's website is the older version that requires a Lightning cable.

Just got this: very nice build quality (weight, balance, fit/finish, rubberized bottom and areas which might touch back of phone) BUT will only work with a naked iPhone or case that leaves the bottom exposed. I have a Power Support Air Jacket and it won't plug in enough to charge. My wife's Candy Shell was 't even close. Great dock but very limited compatibility.

BDoggPrelude

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado
Just got this: very nice build quality (weight, balance, fit/finish, rubberized bottom and areas which might touch back of phone) BUT will only work with a naked iPhone or case that leaves the bottom exposed. I have a Power Support Air Jacket and it won't plug in enough to charge. My wife's Candy Shell was 't even close. Great dock but very limited compatibility.

That sucks. It even says on the website that it is "Compatible with most cases". If it's not even close to compatible with a Speck Candyshell it won't be compatible with most cases. The Candyshell is pretty average in terms of bulk if you ask me.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Anyone got The Lightning Dock? My birthday's in March so thinking of asking for a dock, but not sure which one! There still don't seem to be any reliable ones that just look like the old Apple docks.

Having said that, I like the idea of a metal one like TLD.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
That sucks. It even says on the website that it is "Compatible with most cases". If it's not even close to compatible with a Speck Candyshell it won't be compatible with most cases. The Candyshell is pretty average in terms of bulk if you ask me.

I agree - I can't believe they didn't even allow for a 1 mm difference (thickness of my Air Jacket) for docking. Very disappointing, as the dock is otherwise top-notch

El Jefe

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Dallas, Texas

I got this in today. Exactly what I was looking for and I echo your comments. I have an Elago Outfit case on it while charging with zero issues. One note, you do need to supply the USB wall adapter dongle. Kinda sucks, but I had several extra.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
Just got this today: http://www.usa.philips.com/c/audio-system/iphone-5-ipod-nano-7g-ipod-touch-5g-ds1155_37/prd/en/

Cool design, nice sound for size, solid build, but like the Belkin also only accepts cases that leave the bottom naked.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
There's a company that has specifically products for Apple iPad, iPhone etc. Their stands are integrated built in charger stands. http://cool-invent.com No cords or fumbling with cables. Sturdy granite base - won't tip over. I have one of these for each of my iPad/iPad mini and iPhone.

You do? At $189 for the iPad and $159 for the iPhone? You must work for them. :rolleyes: If you're going to be pimping these all over the forums, you may want to mention their price.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
You do? At $189 for the iPad and $159 for the iPhone? You must work for them. :rolleyes: If you're going to be pimping these all over the forums, you may want to mention their price.

Not only that, he may get banned for pimping his products. The vendor needs to read the rules. I reported him anyway.

Katieg-fm

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Alberta
There's a company that has specifically products for Apple iPad, iPhone etc. Their stands are integrated built in charger stands. http://cool-invent.com No cords or fumbling with cables. Sturdy granite base - won't tip over. I have one of these for each of my iPad/iPad mini and iPhone.

$259 for the dual stand? Jeez, think u need to lower your price

Too bad, I been looking for something like that. But for about $80.....

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
So has anyone found a white dock that is more similar to the ones Apple had for previous iPhones (ones that are just wide enough or the iPhone)

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Can anyone recommend a case that works with The Lightning Dock when using the dock's back support option? I'm especially looking for a case that covers the iPhone's front bottom edge and front top edge rather than leaving those exposed as many iPhone 5 cases seem to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.