Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achy

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Took me about 20 min, and had to talk to a supervisor, but success! I recently had my 64GB 4S stolen, and got ATT to credit my account $200 for it (had to get an iPhone 5 for them to do so), so that caused some confusion.
Sammy was a little slow.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Samantha Hernandez'

Samantha Hernandez: Good Evening Mr., Thank you for chatting in with AT&T. I can definitely assist you today with questions about upgrade fees.\ Please allow me 2-3 minutes to pull up your account.

Me: Hello there Sammy; you don't mind me calling you Sammy, do you? Please take your time.

Samantha Hernandez: How can I help you?

Me: I recently signed a 2 year contract extension and upgraded to a new phone. I was hoping I could have my upgrade fee waived or credited to my account as a one time courtesy.

Samantha Hernandez: I can certainly review your account and see what I can do for you.'

Me: Thank you Sammy.

Samantha Hernandez: I do see that your account was already credited $200 today for the upgrade.

Me: That was due to my phone being stolen; it has nothing to do with the upgrade fee.

Me: I understand that Sammy. I also did everything at the Apple Store. I would like the fee removed. I've been a loyal customer and always pay my bill on time. You can check that.

Samantha Hernandez: May I ask what date your phone was stolen?

Me: 12/10/12

Samantha Hernandez: The fee was already waived Mr.

Samantha Hernandez: There are no other upgrade fees.

Me: My upgrade fee- the $36- was not.

Me: Was it?

Samantha Hernandez: Yes, I also had my manager review your account and they said there are no other upgrade fees to be waived, it has already been waived.

Me: I'm looking at my statement for 12/08/12-01/07/13

Me: And there appears a one time charge (date 01/07) upgrade fee of $36

Me: Which I had to pay last month.

Samantha Hernandez: Yes, but you are not able to see credits and adjustments up to date.

Me: I was wondering if I could get that credited back.

Samantha Hernandez: Unfortunately you have already been credited and I am unable to credit something that has already been adjusted Mr.

Me: So you're telling me that my upgrade fee of $36 was credited to my account, yet my balance is $116 (after the $200 credit)?

Me: It should not be over $100 if I was credited that fee.

Samantha Hernandez: Your account was charged $200 and you were credited the $200 back.

Me: Which is not the upgrade fee..

Me: I paid an early upgrade fee of $250; I am not asking for that back.

Me: 01/07 One Time Charge for Upgrade Fee $36.00

Me: Is the one I'm asking to be waived as a one time courtesy.

Samantha Hernandez: Yes, but you have already been given that back.

Me: No I have not been.

Me: It still shows on my balance.

Samantha Hernandez: You were offered $200 and that was credited today 1/23.

Me: And that is still not the upgrade fee..

Me: 01/07 One Time Charge for Upgrade Fee $36.00

Samantha Hernandez: I have spoken with my manager to see about getting this adjusted for you and he said it has already been adjusted there is no upgrade fee to waive.

Me: Is there a number I can call to talk to your manager?

Me: I'd like to speak with him/her personally.

Samantha Hernandez: I can transfer you over to him if you like.

Me: Please do, Sammy.

Samantha Hernandez: Please hold one moment.

Please wait while I transfer the chat to 'Lonnie Payne'.

You are now chatting with 'Lonnie Payne'

Me: Hello there.

Lonnie Payne: HI Mr., thank you for chatting with AT&T. I am a billing supervisor and can help you today. I can read your previous chat with Samantha. Please allow me a moment to review this chat and access your account to determine the best resolution for your issue today.

Me: Thank you sir.

Lonnie Payne: I have reviewed your account and your need. I have issued the adjustment for 36.00 on 1/7. You will see an adjustment for this on your account within 24 hours and on your next billing invoice.

Lonnie Payne: Was that all you needed from me today Mr.?

Me: So you just waived that $36 upgrade fee?

Lonnie Payne: I have issued the adjustment for 38.88 which is the total after tax charge for the upgrade fee charged on your account 1/7/2013, correct.

Me: Thank you sir.

Me: Appreciate it.

Me: That would be it for today.

Lonnie Payne: Super dooper!

Lonnie Payne: It was my absolute great pleasure to help as your Trusted Advisor today. You can close this window to close your chat session. Thank you for choosing AT&T for your wireless provider.

Me: You have a wonderful evening.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Doh, I got one of the stubborn reps, who claims that their policy has changed recently. If I see any others posting success here after tonight I'll know it's BS:

Rep: Hello <my name>. Thank you for chatting with AT&T. I will be more than happy to help you with discussing a recent charge on your account.

Me: Hi there. I recently upgraded my phone and I just noticed a $36 upgrade fee on my bill. While I understand this is probably standard, I'm hoping you can credit me this charge. I have been a loyal AT&T customer for several years, and I pay my $150 bill on time every month. It would be much appreciated.

Rep: Yes I thank you very much for being a loyal customer. Congratulations on your new device! I see you recently upgraded for this there is a one time fee of $36.00. I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs.

Me: I understand. However in this case I didn't require any assistance - it was a simple upgrade to an iPhone 5, and took about 5 minutes in your store. I also have no intention of returning it, as I love the phone.

Rep: Yes I understand why you love it as well. I have one and I love mine too. I apologize I am unable to waive the upgrade fee today. Did you have anything else I can help you with regarding your AT&T account?

Me: It's actually not true that you're unable to waive the fee. I know several people who have had the fee waived as they are long-time customers in good standing.

Rep: I apologize about this inconvenience today. Our policies have changed recently. We are now not waiving any activation, upgrade and restoral fees. I truly apologize about the inconvenience but I am unable to waive this fee. Thank you very much for being a long time loyal customer.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Doh, I got one of the stubborn reps, who claims that their policy has changed recently. If I see any others posting success here after tonight I'll know it's BS:

Rep: Hello <my name>. Thank you for chatting with AT&T. I will be more than happy to help you with discussing a recent charge on your account.

Me: Hi there. I recently upgraded my phone and I just noticed a $36 upgrade fee on my bill. While I understand this is probably standard, I'm hoping you can credit me this charge. I have been a loyal AT&T customer for several years, and I pay my $150 bill on time every month. It would be much appreciated.

Rep: Yes I thank you very much for being a loyal customer. Congratulations on your new device! I see you recently upgraded for this there is a one time fee of $36.00. I can explain this fee to you. The upgrade fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs.

Me: I understand. However in this case I didn't require any assistance - it was a simple upgrade to an iPhone 5, and took about 5 minutes in your store. I also have no intention of returning it, as I love the phone.

Rep: Yes I understand why you love it as well. I have one and I love mine too. I apologize I am unable to waive the upgrade fee today. Did you have anything else I can help you with regarding your AT&T account?

Me: It's actually not true that you're unable to waive the fee. I know several people who have had the fee waived as they are long-time customers in good standing.

Rep: I apologize about this inconvenience today. Our policies have changed recently. We are now not waiving any activation, upgrade and restoral fees. I truly apologize about the inconvenience but I am unable to waive this fee. Thank you very much for being a long time loyal customer.

My rep didn't do it the first time either. Well she told me she would just so I would close the chat but my bill never changed. Then I tried a second time and she actually changed it and showed me my new balance. Saved $42.65, heck my bill this month with the upgrade was cheaper than my regular bill. Keep trying till you get it, I wouldn't believe that new policy until a dozen reps told me it.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009

I'm going to try for my line once my bill comes out. If they give me the same
Speech saying its for them helping me with upgrading I'm going to call out their BS as I upgraded at the Apple Store (which did not tell me about the upgrade fee anyways)

elemeffiness

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
no luck yet

tried today, but customer service rep wouldn't budge. i even threatened cancellation. she was basically like, "go ahead, then."

partly my fault; was told at best buy that i had 30 days to cancel service without penalty, when according to the customer service rep, i had only 14. i'm two days outside that now. could that be why some of us are having no luck?

elemeffiness

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Update: success!

Had no luck with live chat, so tried email. First email response denied me the waiver (i.e., parroted the same information about what the fee is used for, etc.):

"The fee is to allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts, providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 30 days. These specialized processes help us to ensure you are satisfied with your new equipment, and are ready to use it the day you receive it. The upgrade fee allows us to defray some of these additional service costs."

I replied:

"Thanks for your reply. Part of my issue is that the assistance you describe didn't seem to come into play at all for me. I selected my own equipment, paid for it online via Best Buy and picked it up in their store. Any assistance I received was from them, not from AT&T, and I set the phone up myself. I was already paying AT&T outside of my previous two-year contract, which had ended, so what did it really cost AT&T to continue my service on a new phone? I could have left with no penalty at any time. I chose to renew my plan with AT&T and continue to pay every month for two years. The upgrade fee is a penalty to me and, frankly, a joke. I know that AT&T will reward loyal customers by waiving or crediting this fee, and because I have never requested such a waiver as far as I know, I am requesting it now. My current term plan began billing on 1/26: per AT&T terms (which were, by the way, incorrectly stated to me when I renewed my plan), I may still cancel my service within 14 days of that date without penalty.

What will AT&T do to keep a loyal customer?"

Final verdict handed down from customer service:

"I can certainly understand your frustration over this fee and will be
happy to waive it for you. I would also like to apologize for the
misinformation you received regarding the amount of days you have to
return your device and terminate your service. You are correct in that
you have 14 days, not 30 days. I have adjusted the $36.00 Upgrade Fee you were charged for your recent upgrade. This resulted in a total credit of -$38.34 that was immediately debited from your account balance."

So, I guess the lesson here is that, if you can't afford the upgrade fee, be sure to contest it within the limits of your non-penalty cancellation period, and be sure to keep talking to folks until it gets resolved. I truly believe that the fee is a rip-off, and don't feel any trepidation about asking for 36 bucks from a multi-billion dollar corporation that will continue to get my money for at least the next two years.

brc1

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Colorado
They will absolutely not budge through the online chat for new customers activation fee no matter how badly they screw up except for "billing errors".

A phone rep may get half the activation fee waived or not, it all depends on what the manager says.

The Customer Retention department appears to be the only last ditch way to go, especially if you are a new customer who is only month-to-month and therefore not under contract. This may also now be the only way to go while under the 14-day cancellation window for those under contract to successfully get either activation or upgrade fees waived.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
It wasn't a dumb question. Did I use a trick? Did I threaten to cancel my account? Did I say something special to convince them?

Nope, just asked straight up.

I get the activation fee and upgrade fee waived every time, I have NEVER paid the $18 or $36, so it does work guys, just be nice, if they will not, call back get another customer support person and eventually you will get one that will.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
I get the activation fee and upgrade fee waived every time, I have NEVER paid the $18 or $36, so it does work guys, just be nice, if they will not, call back get another customer support person and eventually you will get one that will.

When was the last time you got it waived? Maybe that changed since you last did it. Seems like they are no longer doing it. This is another reason to not be "loyal". Be a new customer, you get treated so much better and get activation fees waived.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
When was the last time you got it waived? Maybe that changed since you last did it. Seems like they are no longer doing it. This is another reason to not be "loyal". Be a new customer, you get treated so much better and get activation fees waived.

In September when I got two new IP5's, they waived everything, did not pay for anything but the phones. My son just upgraded and they waived it all in January, so I highly doubt they just changed their policy.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
In September when I got two new IP5's, they waived everything, did not pay for anything but the phones. My son just upgraded and they waived it all in January, so I highly doubt they just changed their policy.
Seems like the simple way of doing it--where simply asking pretty much any agent for it will get it done--has in fact changed very recently. Will there still be a way for at least some to get it done either by sheer luck or by playing agent roulette (sometimes for a bit and other times for a while)...sure...but that doesn't really mean that it will still be even close to as simple and easy to do it as it was for long before, or that the vast majority will be able to get it done, as was also the case for a long time before.

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012
Seems like the simple way of doing it--where simply asking pretty much any agent for it will get it done--has in fact changed very recently. Will there still be a way for at least some to get it done either by sheer luck or by playing agent roulette (sometimes for a bit and other times for a while)...sure...but that doesn't really mean that it will still be even close to as simple and easy to do it as it was for long before, or that the vast majority will be able to get it done, as was also the case for a long time before.

Exactly. Your time to call and call and call would cost more then the $36. Either do it while you can drop them and see if they will waive it or just leave and go with another provider if you can while they have one of those specials with no activation fees. But if you must must must go with AT&T, then you will most likely need to pay it now. Threads like this is what alerts a company to maybe change their policy or enforce their policy.

T.Smith4

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
They just straight up won't credit the activation/upgrade fee. After about 25 minutes on the phone I was given a "courtesy credit" of $64 towards two upgrade fees. If you are even going to try to get them to give a credit towards them, you will have to have a really legitimate reason AND be very good at negotiating.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
If you think playing agent roulette works, they have a remark system to notate every time you call.

I'm not so sure. The first guy flat out refused to credit the activation, disconnected and got a different person and she instantly did the credit on the spot so I agree with it's all who you get.:D

----------

Agreed, I have 4 iphones on my family plan and have had every 36$ fee credited back, only once did I have to try multiple reps to get my credit.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
If you think playing agent roulette works, they have a remark system to notate every time you call.

Except for times when you ask them to note something in your account and then the next rep you speak with says they don't see a darn thing. :D

lookdad

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
I had to ask to speak to a manager after 10-15 minutes of talking to a rep, and the manager waived both of my upgrade fees after about 5 minutes of them simply looking over the chat.

Thanks!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Took me over 2 hours on chat with the rep. She had to get a supervisor to do it but it was finally done. I can't believe I had the patience to sit there for 2 hours. But it is the principal that counts; the fee is ridiculous.

catandmouse

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
I guess we'll see how this goes....

K: Hi

Rep: Great day! Thanks for chatting with me K, I'm Rep. I can help you with your upgrade concern today. I am now opening line #######.

K: ok thanks

Rep: Not a problem.

K: I just finally upgraded my phone to an Iphone 5 and saw that you guys are charging me a $36 upgrade fee

K: I also just changed over from Time Warner to Uverse package of cable, phone and internet with AT&T

K: I've been a long time AT&T wireless customer and think this fee is crazy considering all the business I've given you

Rep: I can checked that for you.

K: ok thank you

Rep: You're welcome K,

Rep: Sorry for the delay, K.

Rep: Well basically that's correct, the upgrade fee is considered as a standard fee which will allow us to assist customers with recommending new equipment, offering special offers and discounts,providing assistance with the upgrade process if needed, and supporting the returns process within 14 days.

K: I don't need those services

K: can you just waive it please?

Rep: I know where your coming from, how much did you upgrade your iphone 5 K?

K: I'm paying $200 for the phone

K: I don't want to pay the $36 fee

Rep: I'm sorry we don't have a way to waive the $36 upgrade fee since it is a standard fee.

K: yes you do have a way and at this point, I can cancel my order it's not too late

Rep: As you can see with this $36 upgrade fee your able to get the iPHone 5 for only $200 instead of paying $699.

K: that is not true

K: I guess I'll cancel my order then
Rep: $649*

K: After what I've been through the last 48 hours with AT&T I see that they are not about customer service - so I'll take my business elsewhere

K: considering I've been with you for at least six years

Rep: We definitely value your business K,

K: you're losing a valued customer becuase you charge unnecessary fees for people

K: you charge exorbitant fees so that as you said, "you can provide discounts" lol - do you see how backwards that is? You basically just told me that discounts I get are paid by me in fees

K: so therefore, I get no discounts

Rep: As a valued customer, we did offer you a discounted equipment pricing or a discounted iphone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and a $36 upgrade fee for only $199.99. basically these iPhone will cost you $649 for a full amount and $449.99 as a normal upgrade K.

K: The reason you sell the phone at $200 instead of $649 is because you locked me in for 2 YEARS. That guarantees a rate of return

K: You are just trying to find yet another way to charge someone for something for no reason

K: and FYI, you did not offer that to me because I am a "valued customer" you offer that to anyone

K: customer or not

Rep: I can see your point about that K,

K: The $36 is paying for your salary for this pointless conversation, we could have all been more efficient if you just waived it five minutes ago

Rep: but here in AT&T you can choose to any of our affordable and flexible plans that will suit your budget.

K: ok now you're stretching for arguments. That charge is unnecessary and rude to your customers

K: can I speak with a manager please?

K: I can tell you don't have the authority to provide me with what I'm asking, so I'll just move on to the next person, thanks

Rep: I'm sorry about that,

Rep: however whenever you do an upgrade or activate a line, the one-time $36 charge would be considered valid and final since before upgrading since that allows us to provide you with discounts on equipment, offer you great packages and features.

K: you are repeating yourself and you are cutting and pasting from some script your boss gave you to defend the charge that no one agrees with you is valid

K: i want a manager

K: you can't just go around saying that this is what the money goes towards when we as customers don't have access to the actual costs you spend on the equipment.

K: the point of the matter is this. I have been a customer for over 6 yeas

K: years

Rep: I will go ahead and escalate your concern with our manager K, please give me 2 -3 minutes for this one.

K: thank you

K: You will be getting over $230 from me each month for the next two years guaranteed

K: $36 after I've given you this committment is a slap in the face

K: after I've given you this commitment 3 times, now four times in six years

K: do you want to lose a customer over a measly $36?

Rep: I definitely understand where you're coming from K,

Rep: Sorry for the delay, I was able to escalate you concern with our manager and you will be receiving a personal callback about the pending $36 upgrade fee on your account.

Rep: What will be the best number for us to reach you K?

K: ###-###-####

Rep: Thanks for the number, you will be receiving the call within an hour.

K: ok, thank you
:apple:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I would've said thank you for your time and went to the next rep immediately instead of wasting your time with this person.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.