Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
I'd get it. I'm getting bored of iPhones so every little new feature will be appreciated. I use a case anyways, so if I start to hate the color after a few months, I'll just use a non-transparent case.

sanook997

macrumors regular
May 29, 2012
Bangkok
Living here in Asia for the past six years I can add to the idea that this color is primarily for the Asian Market. The Champaign or Gold-ish colors are hugely popular over here as Asians are fashion (think status) crazy about most everything that signifies wealth.

Black or white for me but hey....everyone has different tastes.

hendot

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2006
Just on the names for a minute: iPhone 5S and 5C. iPad, iPad2, iPad mini.
It's about time things were made less confusing I think.

iPhone
iPhone pro

iPad
iPad pro
iPad mini

That would be more in line with mac naming, and in line with apple removing the unnecessary stuff.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Call it champagne... call it yellow... it's still gold!

If there's a whole spectrum of colors, I can expect some I hate (as with many of the iPods). If there's just ONE new color and this is it, well... to each their own. No thank you.

Good points made about different areas/cultures, though. My American eyes find the idea tacky, but that's subjective.

So just keep it away from my eyes and we're good! Deal?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
this go great with my gold teeth, gold necklace, gold rings, and uzis my homie g's.... :rolleyes:

ziggie216

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Just on the names for a minute: iPhone 5S and 5C. iPad, iPad2, iPad mini.
It's about time things were made less confusing I think.

iPhone
iPhone pro

iPad
iPad pro
iPad mini

That would be more in line with mac naming, and in line with apple removing the unnecessary stuff.

What happen to the whole cut down Apple's product line to only a few products... oh yea.. Jobs isn't around anymore

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
A gold option could also become very popular in the middle east. I mean in, say, Abu Dhabi, they even have ATMs where you can withdraw mini gold bars and gold coins instead of money.
Culturally, people from the middle east seem to love gold in general.

any-key

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
They are so off the trail.

I think so too. Gold color and cheap iPhone to sell more? That sounds like a salesman decision trying to up the stock value, not like the decision of a visionary company. :confused:

I really hope Apple gets back on track. Really seems they are loosing focus in some areas..

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well this is just plain stupid

When "news" about all things Apple is the color of a phone, well, this is just plain stupid.
What happened to the good old days when innovative products and added functionality were truely newsworthy?

----------------
iPhone 5, MBP, Apple TV, 27" iMac.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Living here in Asia for the past six years I can add to the idea that this color is primarily for the Asian Market. The Champaign or Gold-ish colors are hugely popular over here as Asians are fashion (think status) crazy about most everything that signifies wealth.

Black or white for me but hey....everyone has different tastes.

Wow, so refreshing to hear someones actual experience of where this color will be popular in. Thank you. People keeping saying it will not be for the North America/Europe market (at least not expected to do well there), it will be expected to do well in China/India though. But people keep crying "no way, Apple would never do it!". We'll find out soon.

SaxSmith

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Look good.
I think they will give some new metallic color ie. Gold or Silver to 5S to differentiate it from solid color of 5C.
Black and white should still available for someone who don't like metallic color.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
A gold option could also become very popular in the middle east. I mean in, say, Abu Dhabi, they even have ATMs where you can withdraw mini gold bars and gold coins instead of money.
Culturally, people from the middle east seem to love gold in general.

Bingo! Add Middle East to the expected markets that will like this (China, India). Remember people, in those areas (I think) their market share is very small. These are areas they want future growth in. Business, nothing personal guys. Take it easy.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Reminds me of this hot mess:

MOTOROLA_V3I_D_&G_GOLD_3.jpg

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Reminds me of this hot mess:

Yea except that's straight up Gold/Yellow. The champagne color in the rendering from this story actually looks okay. I wouldn't buy one, but I can appreciate not all markets in the world want black and white EVERY year. Those bright 5C's might not be that popular with the 40+ year old crowds.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
What happen to the whole cut down Apple's product line to only a few products... oh yea.. Jobs isn't around anymore

Considering the importance of the iPhone and the iPad, even with an expanded product line I think this is very much 'keeping it down to only a few products'.

Let's take a look at the #1 competitor (screenshot from today):

Attachments

• samsung_2013-08-13_166phones.jpg
    samsung_2013-08-13_166phones.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 153

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I'm all for this color, but why would this even matter when 99% of iPhone users use a case or skin or combination of both to protect it?

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Since Champagne is a trademark, either this iPhone will have to be produced in Champagne region (France) or AAPL will have to pay some kind of patent rights.

mcdspncr

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
I think we all have ideas as to the demographic that a champagne/gold iPhone would appeal to, and based on these maps (http://www.theatlanticcities.com/jo...s-any-city-and-you-know-where-rich-live/5961/) it seems like a few of these demographics aren't yet using many iPhones. I guess the real question is will the shiny new cosmetics be enough to encourage some of these traditional android users to drop some serious $$ on Apple. If it works this could draw new customers rather than just retaining current iPhone users. Combine that with the 5C and Apple might have positioned themselves to start gaining market share again. I just hope they still cater too their regular customers as well. Fortunately I think they could release a champagne iPhone without hurting regular 5S silver/slate offerings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.