Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
When I first heard about gold I thought it was a joke.

Now I can see heaps of people wanting it, not just China and India.
It is more a fashion accessory so a heap of females and I can't picture Donald Trump with anything less!

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
I am a male from UK and I am very tempted in the gold (assuming it is the champaign colour) so I wouldn't stereotype it as asian or female - I think this could have a much wider market. I think it could be very classy if done right (however it could look very tacky if done wrong - but I have good faith)

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
You're not the first one to mimic Apple's 'communication style', but yours is completely off and therefore not funny at all. Sorry bro.

Perfectly fine bro. Although some bro-to-bro advice, being a dick doesn't get you very far.

----------

A matching back and 'yellow' screen.....:D

This actually made me laugh.

After 3 4S's I was amazed when my first iPhone 5 didn't look like somebody had directly pissed into it.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
You see, the question i have is how well will it hold up? If you buy a gold one you're not exactly going to want to cover it with a case, so then its naked. And we probably all know how long a naked iphone paint cover lasts?!

Either that or you'll be throwing a cheap looking clear case over your expensive 128gb gold iphone!!

A second thought here, and i know this may annoy people, and it is coming from a very loyal apple consumer over many years: I find it slightly peaving that as loyal customers what we seem to be getting this year is the same i5 phone with a slight bump in spec (camera, CPU maybe) and on top of that a gold/Champagne coloured 128GB phone thats going to cost (Australia) almost $1000AU! Yes, you can look at Samsung, and their stuff is "meh" (and i've used the S3 as my main phone), but you look at the likes of the Moto X, and they're really doing something diffferent with the X8 processor, the screen that lights up just the notifications, the battery life, etc, to make a very nice, decently fast day to day usable phone. When you look at the forward movement of the tech design from others i can't help looking at my iphone 5, and the rumours and arguments over the new gold phone and wondering what is going on in Apple land.

Last edited:

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
You see, the question i have is how well will it hold up? If you buy a gold one you're not exactly going to want to cover it with a case, so then its naked. And we probably all know how long a naked iphone paint cover lasts?!

Either that or you'll be throwing a cheap looking clear case over your expensive 124gb gold iphone!!

A second thought here, and i know this may annoy people, and it is coming from a very loyal apple consumer over many years: I find it slightly peaving that as loyal customers what we seem to be getting this year is the same i5 phone with a slight bump in spec (camera, CPU maybe) and on top of that a gold/Champagne coloured 124GB phone thats going to cost (Australia) almost $1000AU! Yes, you can look at Samsung, and their stuff is "meh" (and i've used the S3 as my main phone), but you look at the likes of the Moto X, and they're really doing something diffferent with the X8 processor, the screen that lights up just the notifications, the battery life, etc, to make a very nice, decently fast day to day usable phone. When you look at the forward movement of the tech design from others i can't help looking at my iphone 5, and the rumours and arguments over the new gold phone and wondering what is going on in Apple land.

It's just a phone man.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Everyone in the west needs to stop thinking that from now on Apple is just making stuff to appeal to them. If this rumour is true it is a good move for Apple as this colour is very popular in Asian markets. I think over the next couple of years we are going to see a real push from Apple into these markets and that is starting with the brightly coloured 5C which are also very popular colours in Asian markets.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Coating?

In another forum someone mentioned that titanium nitride coating would also look "golden". Considering the scratch problems Apple had with the chamfers especially on black devices, they might now try another material - and had to match the backplate color accordingly.

Too simple an explanation to be true?! :)

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I hate the gold, I do like the look of the champagne one. And more options are always good.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
It's just a phone man.

Correct, it is just a phone. But were talking about Apple, who charge like a bull for their gear, and not only that its not the best phone out there! I think we're all used to every release just doing enough for another 12 months. This one will be the same.

Ironclaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sydney, Australia
It will do well in India for sure...

pimp_gold2.jpg

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
why do people still post if steve would or wouldnt approve, he's dead so get over it.

Because he transformed Apple from a dying company to one of the most successful companies in the world. I think that's a good enough reason to consider what he would do.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Just on the names for a minute: iPhone 5S and 5C. iPad, iPad2, iPad mini.
It's about time things were made less confusing I think.

iPhone
iPhone pro

iPad
iPad pro
iPad mini

That would be more in line with mac naming, and in line with apple removing the unnecessary stuff.

It's already been explained to death, but...... NO- that is a stupid & horrible idea. Listen: The Mac Pro is Pro because only professionals need that kind of power... super intensive computing. The MacBook Pro is Pro because similarly, normal consumers don't need that kind of expense/power... It is for making high end movies, etc.
To be clear- those products are custom made for PROFESSIONALS.. NOT CONSUMERS. Are you suggesting that there will ever be a version of an iPhone or iPad NOT intended for consumers? Lmao.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
To be honest it doesn't look as bad as I expected. Its matte, its not like its some shiny, tacky shade of gold, guys.

In the previous threads, I was surprised and astonished that people hear a rumour "Apple will make a gold coloured phone" and translate it into "Apple will make a trashy looking phone that will only appeal to low lives". They couldn't design something nice looking if their life depended on it, so they think Jony Ive couldn't either. Alternatively, they spend their life in tracksuits and the idea that Apple could sell something nice looking offends them.

absynth

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
white+champagne looks off to me.

No idea if champagne colored glass will look tacky, but till now there were two options based on the colour of the glass, not the metal. Would be weird to have just one black option and two white options.

Maybe they will also introduce a black/silver option alongside the white/champagne. Makes sense to me to also have another black option.

topper24hours

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
To be honest it doesn't look as bad as I expected. Its matte, its not like its some shiny, tacky shade of gold, guys.

Lol, so you approve of the user made mockup that has NOTHING to do with Apple whatsoever & simply came from a random MacRumors forum user's noggin?
Ummm... ok, good to know.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I really don't like it. Neither Jony or Steve would/should approve of this.

WOW!!! Only took 5 responses for some genius to tell us what Steve or Jony, two people they don't know OR have the first clue about, would or wouldn't do.

Get over it people, he is dead so it doesn't matter what he would or wouldn't of liked.... he is dead.... dead. Jony obviously WOULD/SHOULD approve of this as he works there and is making the decision and obviously approved of it as it's being produced. (IF the rumors are true)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.