Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RiccardoA2

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2013
An integration problem?

Hi Guys,

I wonder, if all this problem cause to a simple integration math problem.
The sensor, read acceleration, then, by math integration algorithm, find the velocity, then from velocity, another integration step find the position. In the integration process is needed the right initial value by simple math value. Therefore, the M7 could process a wrong integration math algorithm.

--------------
:apple: Apple //c 128KB RAM

Juanefny

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Spokane, WA
Sure you can. You can't get a false -5 degrees from a case. That's huge! If he were seeing -1 degree, then you could argue the case may be changing the results, but not -5...

I just tried with and without case and i'm getting the same reading.. 3 degrees off..

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
No Problems between my iPhone 5 and 5S

I have an iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 - both read the same level when placed on the same table; not one degree difference. I did read the Gizmodo 'sky is falling' article about it and they showed gross differences with their typical snarling & gnashing of teeth with regard to any Apple problem.

It would be very easy to generate a bad reading (intentionally or unintentionally) and of course one needs to use the calibration feature however to quote Apple's support site, "you shouldn't rely on it to determine precise locations, proximity, distance, or direction" and that it could even be affected by the iPhone earbuds.

Spetsnazos

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
I have an iPhone 5S and iPhone 5 - both read the same level when placed on the same table; not one degree difference. I did read the Gizmodo 'sky is falling' article about it and they showed gross differences with their typical snarling & gnashing of teeth with regard to any Apple problem.

It would be very easy to generate a bad reading (intentionally or unintentionally) and of course one needs to use the calibration feature however to quote Apple's support site, "you shouldn't rely on it to determine precise locations, proximity, distance, or direction" and that it could even be affected by the iPhone earbuds.

are you trollin? Look how many people in this thread reported their results.

We always seem to get some trolls in here who tell us nothing is wrong because they arent experiencing the problem or they're not intelligent enough to read some posts to diagnose if there is a problem or not.

We got the same deniers on the rMBP's with LG screens.

GTFO!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Just got my replacement 32GB 5s from Apple.

The new 5s is on the left, old one on the right… Both are week 35.

So what's going on here?

Mrfatboy

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2008
My verizon black iphone 5s 32g is 2 degrees off and the compass will not calibrate(The little red dot will not move when you tilt the phone). The compass locks and hangs at North.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Sure you can. You can't get a false -5 degrees from a case. That's huge! If he were seeing -1 degree, then you could argue the case may be changing the results, but not -5...

you still can't do a comparison w/ naked and 2 different cases, you can't;)

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57580932-37/a-last-echo-of-iphone-antennagate-$15-checks/ 5S owners canlive with the hope that a software fix will solve this problem, and then get a check for a few buckswhen it doesn't.....

I posted a few pages back that I saw footage of Jobs saying all smartphones loose bars when you hold them, and couldn't watch more than a few minutes of that BS. My wife and I drove from store to store two weeks ago, and finally found a 5S. I tried eight ways to Sunday to get the level and compass to work, and then I tried to tell myself it doesn't matter. My wife wanted to believe it didn't matter as well, but then decided defective is defective. We're just hoping the iPad 5 doesn't have any quirks like this.

gravage

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I was REALLY hoping mine was unaffected, but I just tested it against a Co-Worker's iPhone 4s.

I'm off by about 2-3 degrees on the level (flat and sideways) and my compass is almost 10 degrees off from hers.

This is alarming. I doubt exchanging will solve it because it seems that they measurements drift after a period of time, so of course a new one will read correctly. I'm tempted to just return my iPhone 5s and go back to one of my Android phones.

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
are you trollin? Look how many people in this thread reported their results.

We always seem to get some trolls in here who tell us nothing is wrong because they arent experiencing the problem or they're not intelligent enough to read some posts to diagnose if there is a problem or not.

We got the same deniers on the rMBP's with LG screens.

GTFO!

I guess it takes one to know one. My input of no problem is the same anecdotal evidence that everybody else is providing. If somebody is experiencing the kind of extreme errors that Gizmodo claimed to find, get a replacement. I guess I was 'lucky' and got a perfectly functioning device.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Anyone who's doing this test should note the reading in one direction, then rotate the phone 180* and average those two readings. Then, it doesn't matter if your table is exactly level, and doesn't require you to have a calibrated level. (Bet you can guess how they calibrate levels now.)

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
No wonder Apple feels like there is no need to resolve this with all the clueless people on here thinking it's no big deal. Wake up!

Wait till they try and play a game and its all screwed up. Or use there new fitness app that produces inaccurate results. Or god forbid try and find your way out of a forrest walk with your compass.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Anyone who's doing this test should note the reading in one direction, then rotate the phone 180* and average those two readings. Then, it doesn't matter if your table is exactly level, or your level is calibrated.
That's how a conventional level is checked for accuracy, but the iPhone's volume buttons would make this inaccurate. You can use ths very edge of a table, and move the buttons off the edge. I did this with mine, and got two different readings. I really did try to make it work.....

smitty97

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
And ain't no "free bumper" going to solve this.

It will if said bumper looks like this:
5s-bumper.jpg
:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.