Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hottnikkz

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
So... Gyrogate now?

Sounds delicious! :p

Mine says -3 on a flat surface as well. I understand some handsets are not affected but perhaps it isn't a hardware issue but more so where it was originally calibrated (factory built even)? Just a guess though as I'm not a sensor expert.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
Same problem. Mine is off by -4 and my wife's 5c is also off by -2. My return period ends tomorrow. Is it already goodbye time :(Image

swap f u can that will buy u another 2 weeks. what a hassle it takes the joy out of the "experience".

----------

The key is how it sits on its edge really vs how it sits flat on the table. My 0 degree replacement is not 0 degrees when sitting flat on its back. It reads -1 or -2 degrees depending on how it feels. :) But that's not representative of any real-world usage, so I wouldn't be too bothered by that (though, of course, it should read 0).

the girlf's 4s reads 0 flat not it's back. don't use table try on the floor.

ILOVEMYMBP2.2g

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
I dont know about y'all but I think that this is a HUGE DEAL because of the games and how much that Apple BRAGS about how awesome their motion stuff is! THEY NEED to FIX THIS STAT!!!!! Cant believe Apple. :mad:

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
I dont know about y'all but I think that this is a HUGE DEAL because of the games and how much that Apple BRAGS about how awesome their motion stuff is! THEY NEED to FIX THIS STAT!!!!! Cant believe Apple. :mad:

if it's a hardware problem it will not be fixed till next iPhone. like antenna gate was never fixed even on the white ip4 that was released months after.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
if it's a hardware problem it will not be fixed till next iPhone. like antenna gate was never fixed even on the white ip4 that was released months after.

I thought it was fixed afterwards. U can still buy an ip4. Antenna gate don't exist on those

purtypitcher

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2013
I opened a case and went through the support levels and finally reached a senior advisor. The lower level support people were still advising to do the 90 minute Do Not Disturb routine, and I told them it does not work. Another option the lower levels gave me was they would send me a new phone with a hold on my account until I sent mine back, and charge me $29 for shipping. I laughed.

Anyway, the senior advisor gave me his contact info, and also said he would contact me when the proper fix had been determined, and that I would not be paying a penny. They are definitely aware of, and are working on, the problem. He advised to not return the phone for replacement at this time, and did not have an answer yet as to whether it is a hardware or software issue. Since I opened my support case within the 14 day return window, I feel fairly confident that I will be taken care of. Assuming, of course, that they can figure out and correct the problem. 64 gig space gray from the AT&T store, C3 factory, and I forget the manufactured week, but that doesn't seem to matter anyway.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Great! Now that's two websites that have made mention of it! Gizmodo did a good job.

I'm really surprises Mac rumors hasn't spoken out on it.

They have... https://www.macrumors.com/2013/10/03/calibration-on-iphone-5s-compass-and-level-appears-incorrect/

iBighouse

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
whoever wrote the article didn't do very good research on their own website forums...they state

"The compass appears to be off by 8-10 degrees, while the inclinometer is consistently incorrect by 2 degrees on level services."

Yet the largest value is greater than 6 degrees and the 4 degrees, like mine has, has the highest reported occupancies in the poll.

(I really do wonder sometimes if Mac rumors isn't being funded by Apple!)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I don't know what it is about this issue I find so interesting. I tend to follow it on and off all day long when I have time. I wasn't this interested in attenuate on the 4 and that was more serious (maybe because I always use a case). I don't play games or level anything really but have always been interested in aviation, gyros, GPS, sensors etc. I also enjoy premium quality products as with Apple, so I would really like to see this fixed and cannot accept downgrades from previous models. I would not go back to the 5 even if they don't fix it just for the touchID alone. It has been rock solid for me. Just calibrate it and I will be happy. Anyone else with me on this?

S

syd430

whoever wrote the article didn't do very good research on their own website forums...they state

"The compass appears to be off by 8-10 degrees, while the inclinometer is consistently incorrect by 2 degrees on level services."

That's referring to the compass, not the level readings reported here. See the Gizmodo article for an explanation.

tttmac

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
so whats the current plan of attack?

1. wait and see for fix approach
2. head down to apple store and demand a replacement?
3. Wait a while before demanding replacement

my phone is affected too, I too, cannot accept sensors that are alll wrong.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
so whats the current plan of attack?

1. wait and see for fix approach
2. head down to apple store and demand a replacement?
3. Wait a while before demanding replacement

my phone is affected too, I too, cannot accept sensors that are alll wrong.

Since this is an Apple issue, and the iphone comes with a 1 year warranty, you should wait. And it you have AppleCare+ then you have 2 years.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Alright..... My wife's 5S is off a few degrees on the compass, and -1* on the level lengthwise. I downloaded Real Racing 3 onto my new HTC ONE and the 5S. The 5S takes twice as long to download this game, but I didn't notice any difference in steering between tne two phones. I do notice a big difference between the two phones when using the 5S's level, and the first level app I found for the HTC. The HTC appears very level, and the 5S doesn't to the naked eye. The HTC is deadon with a tested level, and the 5S is not. We still have until tomorrow to decide, and my wife keeps changing her mind. RR3 was the only real world test I could think of to see if the 5S's funky sensors are going to effect our lives (we're not even gamers...lol), and while it seems ok, still has an issue. It's ultimately going to come down to my wife's desire for her first iPhone. :rolleyes: We bought the phone at a Verizon store, and they only allow one return.....

gs28

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2013
Since this is an Apple issue, and the iphone comes with a 1 year warranty, you should wait.

So let's assume it's a hardware issue, will they give us refurb units in exchange?
If so, wouldn't be better to return the phone within the 14/30 days period, get a refund and wait for the new revisions to fix it?
I know it's all speculation right now, but it's killing me knowing I spent so much on a phone and it's broken...

S

syd430

No, the "inclinometer" is the level.

Sorry I misread your post as MR overstating the compass levels (8-10 degrees), not understating the inclinometer levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
I made a Genius Bar appt. tonight (in NorCal, 30 mins from Cupertino) to see if the tech had anything helpful. He never heard of this issue, blah, blah, blah. He then took about 5 mins reading some stuff at his terminal in front of me, then went into my phone and punched the SN. He then said "yeah, nothing reported yet.." Lame. Offered to replace it, I passed. For once it would be nice for a little bit of transparency rather than trying to save face. It's interesting how every support person says something different.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
After hearing eveyones comments and the lack of anything official from apple I'm considering returning my Gold 5S now. It's quite disapointing that we all have invested so much money for a product that is defective out the box. Just dont know what to do next :

1. Get a refund and wait for the issue to be fixed and buy it again sometime in Dec/Jan

2. Go back to a 5 or buy a 5C

3. Keep it and live with issue until iPhone 6 comes out although by then if the issue is still evident as it is it will affect the re-sale value!

Decisons,Decisions

Any help guys??

U4icLab

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
SoCal
After hearing eveyones comments and the lack of anything official from apple I'm considering returning my Gold 5S now. It's quite disapointing that we all have invested so much money for a product that is defective out the box. Just dont know what to do next :

1. Get a refund and wait for the issue to be fixed and buy it again sometime in Dec/Jan

2. Go back to a 5 or buy a 5C

3. Keep it and live with issue until iPhone 6 comes out although by then if the issue is still evident as it is it will affect the re-sale value!

Decisons,Decisions

Any help guys??

I agree, it's quite frustrating. After tonight's "Genius Bar" experience, I think I'm going to wait to see what that rumored 7.0.3 update brings next week. If still no resolution, I'll browse the forums to see if any of the white box replacements possess a fix. I'll give it a few weeks. I'll likely hold onto mine if nothing else, as I get a zero reading on the long side at least. Flat back is -3 like most. I wouldn't be too too concerned with resale value, as most users won't be aware or bothered by the issue.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
I thought I'd ask the top guys direct ;-)

Attachments

• SC20131004-072307.png
    SC20131004-072307.png
    63.8 KB · Views: 115

HRNess

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Just did a chat support, with diagnostics sent to apple. The tech asked me what version I was on (7.0.2), because the diagnostics were reporting 7.0

could this be causing the issue? why are the versions not reporting correct. He said "I dont want to argue so lets just try plugging the phone in for 90 minutes." As though he's never heard of diagnostics reporting wrong version before?:confused:

I have 5s with -5 off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.