Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
S

syd430

Ok my 14 day swap period is up tomorrow (it's 14 days not 30 days for iPhones here in Australia) and i've been consistently showing -5 on the back and -3 the side since launch day. I don't do much gaming but I don't want it to stuff around with panorama mode or orientation changes, and in general I don't want to sell someone else a dodgy phone down the track.

If I wait until after tomorrow to swap it out, it will mean a) I will have to book a Genius Bar appointment and have to argue with the Genius for 30 minutes about why he should swap it out, rather than just doing a no-questions-asked swap, and b) I will no longer be guaranteed to get a new phone rather than refurbished unit.

On the other hand, if I do swap it out tomorrow rather than a few months later, I know the chances of getting another one with the same problem is still high.

What do you guys think? Should I save myself the hassle of arguing with a Genius and swap it tomorrow while i'm still in the 14 day return period? or risk getting a refurb and having to justify the swap to the Genius if decide to swap it down the track as a warranty replacement?

mustu

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Hi I have sent this link to the Apple exe as well.

I spoke to him and he knows about the issue that is there and will forward the same to the team.

I hope too its not a hardware related problem.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
Ok my 14 day swap period is up tomorrow (it's 14 days not 30 days for iPhones here in Australia) and i've been consistently showing -5 on the back and -3 the side since launch day. I don't do much gaming but I don't want it to stuff around with panorama mode or orientation changes, and in general I don't want to sell someone else a dodgy phone down the track.

If I wait until after tomorrow to swap it out, it will mean a) I will have to book a Genius Bar appointment and have to argue with the Genius for 30 minutes about why he should swap it out, rather than just doing a no-questions-asked swap, and b) I will no longer be guaranteed to get a new phone rather than refurbished unit.

On the other hand, if I do swap it out tomorrow rather than a few months later, I know the chances of getting another one with the same problem is still high.

What do you guys think? Should I save myself the hassle of arguing with a Genius and swap it tomorrow while i'm still in the 14 day return period? or risk getting a refurb and having to justify the swap to the Genius if decide to swap it down the track as a warranty replacement?

In the same boat as you. Let know what happens.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

Hi I have sent this link to the Apple exe as well.

I spoke to him and he knows about the issue that is there and will forward the same to the team.

I hope too its not a hardware related problem.

I used to use a 3rd party level app a lot on previous phones. I installed it on the 5s it showed -1.7. The natve app shows -1 and somtimes showed -2. I calibrated the 3rd party app in 3 directions and seems to be fine when tested. Quit the app rebooted phone, all good. will monitor it for drift.

KSean

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Just replaced my 64GB model for a new retail 32GB model, and the level difference is now 1 degree instead of 4-5.

Nice Name: iPhone 5s
Family name:
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation:
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2013
Production week: 39 (October)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 32GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: C3 (China)

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Just replaced my 64GB model for a new retail 32GB model, and the level difference is now 1 degree instead of 4-5.

Nice Name: iPhone 5s
Family name:
Group1: iPhone
Group2:
Generation:
CPU speed: 1.3GHz
Screen size: 4 inch
Screen resolution: 1136x640 pixels
Colour: Space Gray
Production year: 2013
Production week: 39 (October)
Model introduced: 2013
Capacity: 32GB
Memory - flavour: xx
Factory: C3 (China)

1 degree is better than 4 - i might just get mine replaced then!

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
insert image isn't working for my dropbox link.

Anyway, got the 3 ip5s's yesterday, each color. set the three up past their sim card lock and calibrated compass. Here is the results. Gold iphone is center.

I may keep the black as the gyro is out the most, I have the best chance of getting that one replaced down the road. ha.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpdhl0lzjck8tal/2013-10-02%2022.52.48.jpg

the two cases are Magpul executives, foliage and orange.

Last edited:

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
I used to use a 3rd party level app a lot on previous phones. I installed it on the 5s it showed -1.7. The natve app shows -1 and somtimes showed -2. I calibrated the 3rd party app in 3 directions and seems to be fine when tested. Quit the app rebooted phone, all good. will monitor it for drift.

Which app did you use?

KSean

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
1 degree is better than 4 - i might just get mine replaced then!

It's not conclusive that a replacement will actually help (I replaced mine primarily because I found 64GB of storage was excessive for me, not so much due to the gyroscope issue) - people have posted here saying that units they've received in the past few days have still had the issue. Some people also claim to have "drifting" issues whereby it's off by 0 or 1 initially, then the problem gets worse (I'll post here if mine drifts).

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Apple Support: The Apple Support Strikes Back

They wanted to replace the phone as I thought, which I declined because I'm not convinced the issue has been fixed in the factory/software.

Very amusingly though, the advisor said they had never heard of the issue right up until I mentioned I was looking at a forum page of many people having the same issue then I was put on hold for a while...

Afterwards they acknowledged that they both know about it and that it is most likely a hardware issue :( So I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to see if it gets acknowledged for a recall or if there is a miraculous software update for it.

Also I got this clarified for me, a rattling sleep/wake button is not, in any way, normal.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
They wanted to replace the phone as I thought, which I declined because I'm not convinced the issue has been fixed in the factory/software.

Very amusingly though, the advisor said they had never heard of the issue right up until I mentioned I was looking at a forum page of many people having the same issue then I was put on hold for a while...

Afterwards they acknowledged that they both know about it and that it is most likely a hardware issue :( So I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to see if it gets acknowledged for a recall or if there is a miraculous software update for it.

Also I got this clarified for me, a rattling sleep/wake button is not, in any way, normal.

Was the replacement offered a retail or a refurb unit?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania

My wife's 5s return period ends tomorrow (Friday) as well. She loves the phone, but when I demonstrated the level issue, she said she had paid too much to keep a defective product. She does 't play any games, but does use the panorama camera mode. I told her that I can't think ofanything else itwould effect, but who knows....? I did look up "antennagate" and found Steve Jobs' 30 minute presentation on You Tube. I couldn't watch much of it, as he turned it into a marketing event right after saying, "We're not perfect." I don't see Apple eagerly accepting warranty returns with 9 million sold on the first weekend, so we'll likely buy another brand. My wife loves her new Macbook Pro Retina and iPad, and she was thrilled to get the 5S, but not thrilled enough to accept "5 degrees of variation is acceptable" or Jobs saying, "Other phones loose bars when squeezed." Apple markets their products as the best, but excuses like these aren't good enough.

Last edited:

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
They don't have any refurbished units yet. It's too early. The might start showing up in November.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
My sleep button also rattles. Will get it replaced once I start to hear a good solution to the level issues

elemenop27

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013

Well hopefully if they ever did issue a recall, they will have fixed the sleep/power button issue with the gyroscope.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Anyone know if this issue affects turn by turn directions or apps like google maps/yelp etc..?
I am looking to replace my 4s since the 5s are finally available in certain apple stores. I do not play games nor use the lever app or compass app really but I do use google maps once in a while as a GPS.
Given this would it make sense to get a phone now since this would probably not affect me much and eventually if they recall it trade it in, or is it that bad that you cannot even use google maps/yelp/waze properly?

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
These apps are not affected. Its mainly games, levelers, and skymaps and some issue with the compass being off when standing still. When moving the direction is calculated via the GPS which works fine.

For the compass I recommend using the figure 8 pattern to calibrate it as that seems to help.

Anyone know if this issue affects turn by turn directions or apps like google maps/yelp etc..?
I am looking to replace my 4s since the 5s are finally available in certain apple stores. I do not play games nor use the lever app or compass app really but I do use google maps once in a while as a GPS.
Given this would it make sense to get a phone now since this would probably not affect me much and eventually if they recall it trade it in, or is it that bad that you cannot even use google maps/yelp/waze properly?

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
These apps are not affected. Its mainly games, levelers, and skymaps and some issue with the compass being off when standing still. When moving the direction is calculated via the GPS which works fine.

For the compass I recommend using the figure 8 pattern to calibrate it as that seems to help.

Thanks for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.