Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
The iPad Air is an amazing product. Amazing.

Can an amazing product withstand a bunch of really good Android tablets that cost way less?

Those tablets do not exist. The tablets are either as or more expensive, or are not as good.

But don't take my word for it....

Attachments

• CR Rating.JPG
    CR Rating.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Near San Francisco. In my area the local stores do not have the 128GB ATT version. I ordered this and it will be available for in store pickup 11/4.

I dropped by the Burlingame store this morning. They had plenty of stock of smaller sizes. 128GB available with Sprint today.

I was thinking of staying with the 64GB but then I checked my usage and found it was almost full.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Ordered a 32 GB through AT&T last night with overnight delivery. Its being prepared for shipment now, so there is the slightest chance it will ship tonight and arrive tomorrow on saturday. :eek:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Those tablets do not exist. The tablets are either as or more expensive, or are not as good.

But don't my word for it....

Heh, that chart kind of undermines your point and corroborates what 512ke said. He didn't say "as good," he said "really good," and anything with a top overall satisfaction score should qualify for that description.

----------

Near San Francisco. In my area the local stores do not have the 128GB ATT version. I ordered this and it will be available for in store pickup 11/4.

That's the model I reserved this morning for pick-up at the SF store. I got the email that it's ready and waiting, so I should have it today.

otakuon

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I think most ipad Air models will remain in plentiful supplies. The screen is the exact same one as used in previous models and the rest of the components should not cause major bottlenecks. Plus, for whatever reason, most people these days seem to prefer a 7" screen (i actually think that 10in is best for productivity, but that is besides the point) so many are most likely holding out for the new mini...which as we know WILL have major supply issues because of low yields with the new display.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
i don't know why people buy high capacity ipads.... What do they fill it up with? And these things are meant to be upgraded every 2 years or so since apple gimp their old hardware every few os release.

16gb for me!

OK, I'll bite...

1) People fill up their iPads with whatever they need to make it a useful & enjoyable device for them. Congrats, all you need is 16GB. Some people like to load up videos (esp for the kids), or keep photos on it as a digital photo book, music, magazines, books, apps (100-200mb apps are not uncommon these days).

2) What does the position that iPads are meant to be upgraded every 2 years have to do with what storage size one buys today? I don't see the connection there especially since Apple has kept the storage size and price points the same since the original iPad.

3) Your suggestion that Apple's gimps old hardware makes zero sense. The iPad 2 that you could buy today is the exact same one available two years ago. Apple didn't lessen RAM or change out the processor. Now, Apple does build new OSes to compliment the newest hardware, yes, but that is how you make technological progress rather than designing for the least common denominator.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Ordered a 32gb space gray wifi for in store pickup... Won't be able to get it until tomorrow though.

My ipad3 and iPhone 4S were both 32gb, but I filled up space much more quickly on the iphone due to video recording.... So 32gb is fine on the ipad but I went with 64gb on my iphone 5s. :D

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
OK, I'll bite...
Your suggestion that Apple's gimps old hardware makes zero sense. The iPad 2 that you could buy today is the exact same one available two years ago. Apple didn't lessen RAM or change out the processor. Now, Apple does build new OSes to compliment the newest hardware, yes, but that is how you make technological progress rather than designing for the least common denominator.
The Hardware is gimped by the Software revisions or by compatible apps for older OS's disappearing from the app store. Apple ended the possibility of an OS update for a first gen iPad less than 500 days after you could still purchase a new one.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Just a heads up for you guys, got mine at Target today and saved about $40. It was $479 instead of $499, and then I saved an extra 5% with the standard target card discount.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A

But don't take my word for it....

Amazing how things are dynamic and not static. If it were a year ago, I would agree. But there are quite a few compelling offerings out there in the Android-verse, for $129-$199. I wouldn't have believed it either if I hadn't purchased one myself. I'm not giving my son a $500+ piece of tech to drop, lose, smash, forget, etc... So I went with an inexpensive android tablet for $129 and the things is really nice. Solid build, great battery life, apps he wants, ACTIVE OS updates from the manufacturer, etc...

The days of moderately inexpensive Android tablets being total junk are beginning to come to an end. Don't get me wrong, pretty much everything $99 and below is garbage, and you can find LOTS of junk in the sub $199 as well. But if you do your homework, you can score a real winner.

----------

OK, I'll bite...

3) Your suggestion that Apple's gimps old hardware makes zero sense. The iPad 2 that you could buy today is the exact same one available two years ago. Apple didn't lessen RAM or change out the processor. Now, Apple does build new OSes to compliment the newest hardware, yes, but that is how you make technological progress rather than designing for the least common denominator.
The iPad2 is the exception, not the rule. The limiting factor in many iDevices, is the RAM.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The Hardware is gimped by the Software revisions or by compatible apps for older OS's disappearing from the app store. Apple ended the possibility of an OS update for a first gen iPad less than 500 days after you could still purchase a new one.

No, that is not what gimped means. If something is gimped it is modified to do less than maximum potential. What you are talking about is Apple designing an OS that is more robust than older hardware can handle. There is a significant difference between those two situations. No way around abandoning weaker hardware unless you really don't care for any tech advancement or a deep app catalog.

----------

[/COLOR]The iPad2 is the exception, not the rule.

How so? All the iPhones stayed the same too when they went from flagship to budget model. What iOS device did Apple "gimp" when it left flagship status?

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Well I hope my 128gb coming from AT&T isn't getting bumped, ordered this morning at 6 am

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
How so? All the iPhones stayed the same too when they went from flagship to budget model. What iOS device did Apple "gimp" when it left flagship status?
iPod touch 4 - In less than a year it went from flagship to retirement.

I should have expanded my statement to MORE than iOS devices. Folks with iPad 1s will tell you that the limiting factor is BY FAR the low amount of RAM.

Apple has gimped the Mac Mini for YEARS. Even when it did have a dGPU, they purposely gave it half the amount of VRAM, so as not to take sales away from their more expensive lines. As soon as the dGPU could be removed, to further differentiate, it was removed from the mini.

Sticking with 1gig of RAM in the 32->64 transition is disheartening to anyone who is looking to keep the tablet for a LONG time(hand me downs). Because RAM will be the limiting factor, and it is PURPOSELY Gimped this way to encourage more sales of the next iteration, which will have 2Gigs of RAM.

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
No, that is not what gimped means. If something is gimped it is modified to do less than maximum potential. What you are talking about is Apple designing an OS that is more robust than older hardware can handle. There is a significant difference between those two situations. No way around abandoning weaker hardware unless you really don't care for any tech advancement or a deep app catalog.

So. If I had said crippled instead of gimped by OS updates that would have been OK?

One perfect example of software "crippling" hardware was iOS 6 which could be installed on a 3GS iPhone but not a first gen iPad. A device one year newer and with more processor power.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
These new iPads truly are revolutionary. How can it be possible to pack so much cutting-edge technology into such a slim, light, gorgeous device? Only Apple can do this. And that's why iPad Air is already selling out around the world in just a few hours.

Thanks Tim Cook

----------

I bought the 128GB AT&T...however I am having buyers remorse. It's the best value (only $100 more and you get an additional 64GB). However, I am replacing a 64GB iPad 3 which still has 20GB (although, I haven't downloaded all of my music on it). Should I take it back and get the 64GB or just keep it. I have 100GB dropbox, 55GB iCloud, iPhone 5S with 64GB and iPad Mini with 32GB.

its only $100 difference but that money could be used for Retina Mini...

Thoughts?!?

especially if you play games they are getting fairly large

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Sticking with 1gig of RAM in the 32->64 transition is disheartening to anyone who is looking to keep the tablet for a LONG time(hand me downs). Because RAM will be the limiting factor, and it is PURPOSELY Gimped this way to encourage more sales of the next iteration, which will have 2Gigs of RAM.

heh heh, why not ask for 4G of memory, display resolution that double today standard? May be Apple should put technology that is not even invented yet into Ipad air to ensure that we don't have to buy another tablet in our life time :cool:)

What you are asking is a tablet that is build beyond what we need today. But are you ready to pay for the extra hardware? Of course not, Apple is already making too much money. Bank also has too much money, may be we should ask them to share with the rest of us too :cool:..

If you feel strongly that it is a easy proposition, you should start a crowd funding project. I will be the first one to buy one from you. But my criteria is going to be the same as your, it will be the only tablet that I will buy for the next 10 years and I only want to pay 499 and no more. Let see what you can come up with :cool:)

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
Heh, that chart kind of undermines your point and corroborates what 512ke said. He didn't say "as good," he said "really good," and anything with a top overall satisfaction score should qualify for that description.

----------

That's the model I reserved this morning for pick-up at the SF store. I got the email that it's ready and waiting, so I should have it today.

No, it actually makes my point quite clearly. The only other tablet with a top satisfaction are the Galaxies, and they cost almost as much as the iPads. So there is only one other "really good" tablet, and it is far from costing "way less".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
iPod touch 4 - In less than a year it went from flagship to retirement.

I should have expanded my statement to MORE than iOS devices. Folks with iPad 1s will tell you that the limiting factor is BY FAR the low amount of RAM.

1) Touch 4 was EOL'd not gimped. It's still supported. Off topic.

2) No you shouldn't have expanded the discussion because OP's point was that Apple gimps iOS devices, and my argument was on that point alone. Apple has a clear history of gimping current Mac hardware to sell the next model up. But that was not the topic.

3) Whether the original iPad was designed with insufficient RAM is also moot. OP's point, again, was that Apple, as a sales strategy, gimps old hardware to force people to update. There is zero evidence of this. None.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So. If I had said crippled instead of gimped by OS updates that would have been OK?

One perfect example of software "crippling" hardware was iOS 6 which could be installed on a 3GS iPhone but not a first gen iPad. A device one year newer and with more processor power.

Yes, but you did not say software. You said hardware. That is what I responded too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.