Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alisstar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Orlando, FL
Great move by Apple. They should have taken it one step further and opted not to by ads in print media, just to send a deeper message.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
So wasting aluminium (it has to be re-smelted at a guess) by milling blocks is green? Wouldn't that take more energy to produce than casting individual pieces en masse? Are they building solar farms for the factories in China?

Or is this just for the media, to make Apple look good in the U.S press, and to gain pats on the back from Greenpeace. Sure seems like it..

But good on Apple for announcing their green intentions, I doubt for one second that it is self serving..... Guffaw...

You might your answers in the link and video here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
High res

Here's the ad in all it's detail, feel free to re-use!

Earth%20day.png

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
You might your answers in the link and video here.

China, not Texas ;-)

I'm thinking more macbook-pro in China and the ridiculous amount of electricity involved in just creating a billet which has 90+ percent milled off, which has to be reused, meaning more energy used to make more billets.

But hey, as long as the appearance of being energy and ecologically friendly is good.....

Last edited:

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
You're right, Apple isn't working on anything, they're just complaining :rolleyes:

My point exactly. Back to the drawing board. Apple have not presented anything spectacular since the iPad gen 1. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming samsung, which is a Company that DO innovate.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Never said it was. Apple should stop bitching about that others do copy. Focus on your own company.

Exactly. If Apple gave people what they wanted in the first place Android and Samsung would not be as powerful as they are today. Signing that exclusive AT&T deal, not releasing large screen phones and allowing iOS to become stale are much bigger problems than Samsung copying some bouncy effect. Apple is looking for a bailout from the courts and is now using "copying" as an excuse.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
So wasting aluminium (it has to be re-smelted at a guess) by milling blocks is green? Wouldn't that take more energy to produce than casting individual pieces en masse? Are they building solar farms for the factories in China?

Or is this just for the media, to make Apple look good in the U.S press, and to gain pats on the back from Greenpeace. Sure seems like it..

But good on Apple for announcing their green intentions, I doubt for one second that it is self serving..... Guffaw...

What an incredible amount of hypocrisy and ignorance in your post.

This is about their energy generation for data centers. Have you investigated water and energy requirements for different production processes and compared these? Did you consider that Apple doesn't own the factories in China?

What is wrong with announcing that they use alternative energy for their data centers? Good on them if that increases their customer base. Why are you against that?

mattlister

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2013
Why? Newspapers are made from recycled materials and are recyclable themselves.

Around 78% recycled paper content for UK newspapers for example.

There's just the ink after the recycling, which goes to landfills (happens much less these days), is burned to create energy, or is used as fertiliser.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I'm thinking more macbook-pro in China and the ridiculous amount of electricity involved in just creating a billet which has 90+ percent milled off, which has to be reused, meaning more energy used to make more billets.

Most aluminium from Macbooks is recycled either at recycling plants or by Apple themselves (see previous article on the site), whereas plastics such as in other laptops often cannot be recycled.

In addition, you are working from the assumption that aluminium processing is more electricity intensive, whereas you have no idea of the amount of electricity and water needed to produce and mold plastic. If you want to make a well founded argument that Apple's production process is worse for the environment than say Lenovo, than please try harder and present us with some facts in stead of high school level knowledge of aluminium processing.

Fox Fisher

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2013
LoLl

Nice ad!

It's not just Samsung though. Korean companies like to clone stuff in general. Look at their cars, in some cases they are complete copy of a certain model but in other cases it's usually a mixture of 2-3 car models. I think thats some kinda cultural thing there in Korea.

Those environmental efforts are good but we need those efforts spread 100x worldwide in order to make an impact. 5-6 companies going environmental won't save the planet.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
China, not Texas ;-)

But hey, as long as the appearance of being energy and ecologically friendly is good.....

I don't know if how they assemble and mold the billets is the same in Texas as it is in China but this is coming from one of the comments in that same page I showed you:
Ray - Since they are starting with a near net shape from the impact extrusion, there's not as much material cut off as if it were a solid chunk of billet for example. But responsible and sustainable manufacturing in aluminum milling is done in other industries, and I'd imagine here as well. Take a look at this blurb from Chris King, regarding the recycling of aluminum shavings.

http://chrisking.com/company/sustainable_manufacturing

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is Apple trying to reinvent its persona into "smug hipster". I can only guess all this new Eco-advertising is being generated by Cook. I'm not anti-Eco but all this in your face feels similar to a chef admiring his own cooking or a driver with a 13.1/26.2 ovals.

Samsung has a sustainability program: http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/sustainability/environment/.
Apple doesn't own that market as these ads suggest. Good on them for doing what they can. Others are to. No need to berate or lampoon their efforts.

I await to see what great products Cook & co. have for us in June.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Have you investigated water and energy requirements for different production processes and compared these? Did you consider that Apple doesn't own the factories in China?

Thanks man ;-)

I don't see full Page ads from other companies with different processes (apple uses plastics no? Bonded screens no?) boasting of their green credentials.

Apple uses the factories in China, it doesn't matter whether they own them or not, if the process is dirty, it's kinda hypocritical to claim to be doing all you can for the environment no?

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Floating video player.

Multi-window laggy multi-tasking screen...

Are you serious?

What do you envision taking up all that extra space from a resolution and screen bump? Just more rows for icons?

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
My point exactly. Back to the drawing board. Apple have not presented anything spectacular since the iPad gen 1. Getting boring.... All they do is flaming samsung, which is a Company that DO innovate.

If innovating means whacking "Galaxy" on the end of everything and coming up with products like the Galaxy Gear, i'd rather they didn't tbh.

To make something truly innovative, truly inspiring and truly successful like they have with the iPhone, iPad, Macbook, iMac etc etc - it takes time.

They come out with a new innovation every couple of years and then whilst some teams are working on new products, others are refining what they already have to make it faster, better and in the process create new manufacturing techniques that are pushing technology forward.

The Samsung products I have used such as the galaxy and galaxy tab it was quite frankly, awkward and horrible.

With regards to them flaming Samsung, imagine you spent millions developing a new product, then all of a sudden, someone else makes something that blatantly rips the design. It's not really fair. I'll leave you with the following pic,

samsung-phones-apple.jpg

dol4n

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2012
If innovating means whacking "Galaxy" on the end of everything and coming up with products like the Galaxy Gear, i'd rather they didn't tbh.

To make something truly innovative, truly inspiring and truly successful like they have with the iPhone, iPad, Macbook, iMac etc etc - it takes time.

They come out with a new innovation every couple of years and then whilst some teams are working on new products, others are refining what they already have to make it faster, better and in the process create new manufacturing techniques that are pushing technology forward.

The Samsung products I have used such as the galaxy and galaxy tab it was quite frankly, awkward and horrible.

With regards to them flaming Samsung, imagine you spent millions developing a new product, then all of a sudden, someone else makes something that blatantly rips the design. It's not really fair. I'll leave you with the following pic,

Please.... get your facts straight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.