Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the shift from OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion to OS X 10.9, Apple opted to switch from naming its desktop operating system updates after big cats to naming them after distinct California landmarks or "places that inspire us," as Craig Federighi explained during the 2013 Worldwide Developers Conference.

Mavericks, a popular surf spot, was the company's first choice, and as we approach the initial preview of OS X 10.10, there's a lot of speculation about which landmark Apple will choose next. Back in April, several possible naming choices were discovered in the form of trademarks that Apple applied for on California-related terms including Yosemite, Redwood, and Mammoth.

osxyosemitefall.jpg
An OS X 10.10 mockup image​
MacRumors has now discovered an additional set of names that appear to be linked to Apple, which trademarks were filed for on March 11, 2014 in Trinidad and Tobago, a favorite early filing spot for the company. The terms, all of which could be slated for future OS X releases, include OS X Sequoia, OS X Mojave, OS X Sonoma, and OS X Ventura, as well as the individual names Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma, and Ventura.

While Sonoma and Ventura are major California cities known for vineyards and beaches, respectively, Mojave refers to the state's Mojave Desert while Sequoia likely refers to the Sequoia National Park famous for its giant sequoia trees. All of the names represent well-known California landmarks and are suitable for Apple's new OS X naming scheme.

At this point, the full list of known trademarks Apple has registered for includes Yosemite, Redwood, Mammoth, California, Big Sur, Pacific, Diablo, Miramar, Rincon, El Cap, Redtail, Condor, Grizzly, Farallon, Tiburon, Monterey, Skyline, Shasta, Sierra, Mojave, Sequoia, Ventura, and Sonoma.

It is unknown which name Apple is leaning towards for OS X 10.10, but an iOS 8 banner currently hanging at the Moscone Center ahead of WWDC featured an underwater theme, which may hint at the company's OS X plans.

Along with the trademarks for several OS X terms it filed for on March 11, Apple also appears to have applied for trademarks on the terms "Apple Watch" and "Watch," continuing its long trademarking spree of iWatch-related terms, which included several new filings under shell company Brightflash back in April.

OS X 10.10's official name will be unveiled this coming Monday, during the keynote presentation of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference. The event will take place at 10 AM Pacific Time.

Article Link: Future OS X Names Could Include Sequoia, Mojave, Sonoma and Ventura

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
"Mammoth" would be a nice choice if they want to follow up Mavericks in the tradition of making people confused about what it is named after.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"While Sonoma and Ventura are major California cities, the latter being known for its vineyards and the former for its beaches,"

Oops. It's Sonoma, the former, known for its vineyards. While Ventura its beaches.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
No offense intended, but that font (Helvetica) on the "banner" looks a bit ugly! I hope that, if Helvetica is the new system font in 10.10, Apple will at least mix Helvetica and Helvetica Light/Neue, depending on the situation/dialog/sizing, because Helvetica looks weird spaced in some areas. I guess we'll find out Monday!

The fact that the iOS 8 banner is using Myriad, however, makes me pause and think about the 10.10 system font... maybe it'll be a thinner version of Myriad?

dbernie41

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Ohio
I think the most interesting thing about this are the trade names "Apple Watch" and "Watch". Are they ditching the 'i' ?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I wonder if we won't see OS XI Monday, because there aren't any signs for 10.10 at WWDC like we see for iOS 8 and like we saw last year for 10.9.

Edit. There's a new X banner now. I wonder if they won't just start calling it Mac OS X [Name] because 10.10 sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Sequoia seems a bit hard to pronounce if u think globally. never heard of Sonoma. sounds almost african tho xD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.