Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think of the iPhone 6 leaks?

• Total voters

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I really wish they took a page out of the Moto X's book and used similar dimensions. this thing will be too big.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I really wish they took a page out of the Moto X's book and used similar dimensions. this thing will be too big.

Apple managed to make a phone with similar to larger overall dimensions compared to the competition yet with a smaller screen.....ggrreeaatt!

I think this size thing is being way overblown. Thinness and lightness plays into the overall feel of size more than most realize, and according to the leaks this thing is even thinner than the 5s (which is already 25% thinner than the Moto X for example) and will most likely be lighter than most phones with the same size screen.

I thought the same as you as first but the more I consider it, and look at the measurements, the less I worry.

Now just bring on the 5.5" version please. :D

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I think this size thing is being way overblown. Thinness and lightness plays into the overall feel of size more than most realize, and according to the leaks this thing is even thinner than the 5s (which is already 25% thinner than the Moto X for example) and will most likely be lighter than most phones with the same size screen.

I thought the same as you as first but the more I consider it, and look at the measurements, the less I worry.

I get what you're saying, but general surface area makes a huge impact. Manufacturers are ynderstandly concerned with thinness, but a a certain point this should stop coming at the expense of footprint. This thing is going in my pocket after all. I don't think they should have gone for thinness over tallness in this scenario. The bezel doesn't need to be that thick.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I get what you're saying, but general surface area makes a huge impact. Manufacturers are ynderstandly concerned with thinness, but a a certain point this should stop coming at the expense of footprint. This thing is going in my pocket after all. I don't think they should have gone for thinness over tallness in this scenario. The bezel doesn't need to be that thick.

Yeah, there's a point at which thinner at the expense of taller/wider becomes pointless for sure. I'm starting to get the feeling that Apple has it within acceptable parameters with the 4.7" though - but of course it may end up feeling unnecessarily big. We'll just have to see in a few months I guess.

When it comes to "phablet" size though, if thinner means also lighter then it is quite important, more so than with smaller phones. Because those phones are used in a different way for media consumption. I spent 2 hours+ with my Note 2 watching the WC game last night and I did find myself wanting for a lighter phone. But this would be more relevant to the 5.5" iPhone 6.

Noteworthy: I've noticed that these dummy units going around can be quite different in size, especially when it comes to the side bezel. In the video posted above it looks quite good IMO, I'd buy that. But in this one by Danny Winget the side bezel looks too thick, not at all as nice (still may be a good vid for getting a general size of the iPhone 6 vs a whole bunch of Android phones): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOE5Eg32qu8

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
For visual learners who find themselves more receptive to data presented in a pie/wedge format, the results are depicted below. This first graph made entirely of wood indicates the data as it stands:

Reaction to iPhone Leaks (uninterpreted)

However, if we account for double votes and combine redundant categories, we see in this colored, scribbly graph that the opinions of the photographed parts aren't as low as passionate comments would lead one to believe. But this isn't to say that the harsh criticism is from a vocal minority, for the critics almost balance out the appreciators:

Reaction to iPhone Leaks (interpreted)

Nice visualisation! This shows again how vocal the minority is :) People who hate something are more eager to express their opinion than someone who loves something.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

True. I'll have to hold it first. It's still not a deal breaker for me with how deep I'm in the Apple ecosystem and how much I enjoy the iPhone experience.

Thinness I could careless about with in reason. And actually taller, wider and thinner will make it easier for me to damage it however I use a beefy case so that shouldn't be an issue.

Apple products are getting so thin we will need to wear chainmail gloves when handling them to keep from chopping our hands off.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I think this size thing is being way overblown. Thinness and lightness plays into the overall feel of size more than most realize

Not when it comes to my pocket, though. The 5S already pokes me in the hip when I sit down. And thinness doesn't help single-hand use, either.

I'll be sad if there won't be a top-of-the-line 4 inch iPhone anymore. I still kinda hope they'll put an A8 into a 5S case, too. There would be no leaks if the case looked identical.
[/QUOTE]

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Further updates…

A wave of about 30 votes has hit, so I've decided to update my results in the same multi-personality pacman format as before. Behold information conveyed in the most logical manner—various chunks of stone:

Reaction to iPhone Leaks (uninterpreted)

mZIIkwH.png

However, after accounting for duplicate votes and combining similar categories, we see that the negative reactions are now overtaking the positive:

Reaction to iPhone Leaks (interpreted)

CLuGHoM.png

Kaylor

Contributor
Oct 18, 2011
Long Island, NY/Houston, TX
Indifferent/calm down; it's just a phone

I don't really care so much what it looks like, especially the back. I don't know about everyone else but I don't stare at the back of my phone for hours, I look at the screen and use the phone for its intended purposes :confused: Most people are just going to slap a case on it anyway.

I certainly felt a bit "ew" about it at first, as I did with the iP5 leaks, but it has grown a ton on me. Not enough to justify saying I love it, but I'm not thrown off by the design anymore either.

The gold still looks terrible to me though, but I'm not even a fan of gold jewelry, let alone a huge phone.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
I'm holding out hope that the leaks aren't the real thing. The Nexus 5 has an amazing feel in the hand and a great screen. The HTC One is essentially the best parts of the 3GS (curved back) and iPhone 5 (Aluminum). Both phones look MILES better than these leaks. I get that Apple thinks the Home button is iconic but it's starting to hold them back. Their reliance on it is forcing them to make a phone that will have a 4.7 inch screen and yet be larger than the S4 which has a 5 inch screen. I don't know if it will change but a larger iPhone 5/5s is not good looking at all. I'm going to hold out hope until the actual release but if the leaks are true then I'm going to pick up a 5s. I believe that the 5s is the peak of this design style.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I'm holding out hope that the leaks aren't the real thing. The Nexus 5 has an amazing feel in the hand and a great screen. The HTC One is essentially the best parts of the 3GS (curved back) and iPhone 5 (Aluminum). Both phones look MILES better than these leaks. I get that Apple thinks the Home button is iconic but it's starting to hold them back. Their reliance on it is forcing them to make a phone that will have a 4.7 inch screen and yet be larger than the S4 which has a 5 inch screen. I don't know if it will change but a larger iPhone 5/5s is not good looking at all. I'm going to hold out hope until the actual release but if the leaks are true then I'm going to pick up a 5s. I believe that the 5s is the peak of this design style.
What makes you think all the things you praise about those phones WON'T be in either version of the iPhone 6? You have seen drawings and mock-ups.... those in now way show you how it will feel in hand, it's screen, it's performance ect ect. You said both LOOK better by miles... Ok. Do you purchase a phone because it "looks" good or because it WORKS good? You say the home button is holding them back.... Ummmmm yeah.... no. That is where the "finger print reader" is located. I guess it could be on the back (yeah that looks and works great it seems) but that would be silly. I also find it funny that you're calling the design a "larger" 5/5s. Sure the fronts look the same but show me a phone that goes from one gen to the next that has major front cosmetic changes... yeah it just doesn't happen. (changing the lettering or placement of X item is not "major" changes.) I say go for the 5s, it will leave more of the 6 for those that can actually see and want the new phone.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
What makes you think all the things you praise about those phones WON'T be in either version of the iPhone 6? You have seen drawings and mock-ups.... those in now way show you how it will feel in hand, it's screen, it's performance ect ect. You said both LOOK better by miles... Ok. Do you purchase a phone because it "looks" good or because it WORKS good? You say the home button is holding them back.... Ummmmm yeah.... no. That is where the "finger print reader" is located. I guess it could be on the back (yeah that looks and works great it seems) but that would be silly. I also find it funny that you're calling the design a "larger" 5/5s. Sure the fronts look the same but show me a phone that goes from one gen to the next that has major front cosmetic changes... yeah it just doesn't happen. (changing the lettering or placement of X item is not "major" changes.) I say go for the 5s, it will leave more of the 6 for those that can actually see and want the new phone.

You need to calm down. This is a rumors site and discussing mockups is what this site is all about. Here's a pic of the nexus 4 to 5

NexusBanner.jpg

Sure looks different to me. That's a single generation change. Apple is now in its 4th year of the glass surrounded by metal antennas design theme. And A LOT of people buy phones because of how they look. I can get my GMAIL on most phones now so looks do matter. And Apple prides itself on design but if this mockup is true then it's also lazy.

The home button is holding them back. The bezels look ridiculous on this mockup and it's because of the home button. Phil Schiller wants to talk about design? Let's see Apple embed the TouchID into the screen itself. It already sits under a glass button. Ditch the button and reduce the bezels.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You need to calm down. This is a rumors site and discussing mockups is what this site is all about. Here's a pic of the nexus 4 to 5

Sure looks different to me. That's a single generation change. Apple is now in its 4th year of the glass surrounded by metal antennas design theme. And A LOT of people buy phones because of how they look. I can get my GMAIL on most phones now so looks do matter. And Apple prides itself on design but if this mockup is true then it's also lazy.

The home button is holding them back. The bezels look ridiculous on this mockup and it's because of the home button. Phil Schiller wants to talk about design? Let's see Apple embed the TouchID into the screen itself. It already sits under a glass button. Ditch the button and reduce the bezels.

I'm perfectly calm I was simply asking logical questions to a post. (guess I did add a bit too much snark so for that I apologize) I can't argue with your points being made here. I agree they should find a way to integrate it into the display but that doesn't take away from the fact the home button is needed for the touch ID at this time. You say the glass surrounded by metal antenna design is old.... how about the front glass with plastic/some other material back? That is what EVERY other phone looks like time after time after time after time. Not sure how your argument holds water. I'm certainly no apple fanboy and honestly dislike the company for the most part and thought Jobs, though brilliant was a douche. However when you rip products based on unknown design characteristics and mock-ups don't get your panties in a bunch when some one challenges you.
As far as the aesthetic changes in the picture provided is that really a large change? I would agree the second pic does look better but all that was really done was a bezel reduction and a speaker relocation. The 5s made change changes over the 5 that are similar... they added a shiny ring around the home button. ;)

Last edited:

benjamin67

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2014
Hi

I hate how hard it is to personalize the iPhone. I have to connect it to my computer every time I want to change something or download something. So ******** annoying.. so Im not excited about the new iphone.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The mock ups look to be made of cheap plastics and metals. I'm guessing that when Apple releases the real thing, it will have a more premium look and feel than what we are seeing now.

I'm gonna make a wild guess and say the black/grey version will the one to get this year.

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
New iPhone 6 design

I know it's still premature but based off these leaks taken with a grain of salt, if it is what maybe to come from apple I'm definitely unimpressed with it's design again I know it's not official but these leaks happen every year and are usually pretty close. It looks like a step backwards besides the screen size possibly.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I know it's still premature but based off these leaks taken with a grain of salt, if it is what maybe to come from apple I'm definitely unimpressed with it's design again I know it's not official but these leaks happen every year and are usually pretty close. It looks like a step backwards besides the screen size possibly.

I agree, but what do we unimpressed folks do about it. You accept the backward design, buy it and enjoy it. I'm sure no matter how simple it may be, we might like it more once it's released. Let's think like those that didn't like the 5C and later ended up liking it and even buying one. :D Hoe's that for being optimistic.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Personally, a 5.5" device doesn't interest me what so ever.

I don't wear a suit, and I don't have a briefcase etc so something of that size that isn't pocketable makes owning it redundant.

A 4.7" could just about work (if similar dimensions to the Galaxy S3). I'd like a bigger display but it also has to work as a portable phone. Could end up keeping my 5S if not :/

----------

I hate how hard it is to personalize the iPhone. I have to connect it to my computer every time I want to change something or download something. So ******** annoying.. so Im not excited about the new iphone.

lol I haven't plugged my iPhones in since my 4. What the hell are you doing to require plugging it in to download things etc!?!?!?!

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
The thick bars on the back of the device had surprised me at first, but I am intrigued to see what the actual device looks like. I have a feeling it will be similar to what we are seeing, but I'm not 100% sold on the back of the device. It will be in a case anyways so the back doesn't matter much to me. I just hope if they're doing 2 options one with a 4.7 inch and a possible 5.5 inch, that they come out together at the same time. I want the biggest screen they will offer. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.