Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
I usually set up as new because it seems like every iphone release ever people complain about battery life and the first suggestion is to restore as new and don't restore from backup, and usually people claim that it works?

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
I normally restore from iCloud back up. I like the idea of not having to go back into all the menus and readjusting all the settings. Honestly, I like tinkering with the settings, but with my OCD like tendencies, it's best I keep the settings the way they are, since they've been working for me. Also, I want to restore all of my my contacts -unsure if I can do this by connecting to iTunes though?

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
App data is lost too if you don't restore from a backup. Ie: Game progress, login info for apps, etc.

Not unless the game progress is saved via game centre. I play Plants vs Zombies 2 quite a bit on both my iPad mini and iPhone, progress remains in sync instantly.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I plan on setting up as new with my 2 year old iPhone 5 side by side and manually making sure every setting, notification, app, etc is the same. Seriously.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I plan on setting up as new with my 2 year old iPhone 5 side by side and manually making sure every setting, notification, app, etc is the same. Seriously.

Me too. I actually created a text document listing all the app and settings. I may miss a few but that's OK. Just don't want to carry all that "other data" over.

lewismayell

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2013
South West England
I've done both, but I'm thinking about starting fresh this time. On the other hand, I do like how I have it arranged now...

Just either: Save screenshots of your current setup (this is what I did) or if you have the old phone copy the layout, though, it'll require some tweaking anyway with the extra row of icons on both new phones

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
UK
I usually clean up my phone the week prior to getting a new one, and then restoring it from that back-up.

ozshadow

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
New. There always seem to be issues blamed on the backup restore, like the battery life plummeting.

Only contacts and calendar will be imported from icloud.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Definitely starting fresh this time around.

What I usually like to do with fresh starts is obviously not restore any backed up data (contacts, mail, calendar etc will be sync'd on the device through iCloud anyway) and instead set all my settings how I see fit. I then go to the purchased section in the app store and scroll through the list and only install what I absolutely NEED on my phone. Then I go through it one more time and install anything I would like to have but don't necessarily need.

Side note: I usually like to let the battery drain completely and recharge to max before using a new iPhone. I feel it calibrates the battery indicator to be more accurate.

itsMacTonight

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2013
Oregon-Go Ducks!
Restore from back up after a cleaning and back up of photos to iMac and Airport Extreme. Still thinking about buying a little more iCloud storage, but 3 backups seem sufficient. Yes I consider my phone one of those "back ups" for many of my photos, though I realize Flash is "cheaper".

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
In the past, all restored from backup. I am going to try new this time.

Brianrich1

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Just download the my contacts app. It backs up your contacts then emails it to you. Just click on it in your email and it will download all of your contacts to your phone.

udontno

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
VA, USA
I'm going to start new. I have never been one to erase my text messages and now my 4S won't let me (can erase, phone gets slow, so I restart, messages all appear). There's 2GB of saved messages on my phone. I would rather start fresh on that front. So excited to have my phone in my hand on Friday.

RKO1195

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Always setup as ( New ) you bring trouble with you in backups. You don't want iOS 7 problems and there's a lot with it lol on a new phone

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area

I usually clean up my phone the week prior to getting a new one, and then restoring it from that back-up.

I always do one of these two things depending on how much time I have the day I get my new iPhone. If I have some time I prefer to sit down and manually put my settings back the way they were. If I don't have time, I have already cleaned up my backup so I can restore from that and not have to worry about it.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Always "as new". I always back up my pictures off my phone anyway (zero camera roll philosophy) and I like my apps that I use most to be the first installed. Everything nice and clean. I don't give a damn about keep all my texts.

kratoz29

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Guys... The backup not only saves your photos and text message... They saves the information about your apps, like savegames and personal information to apps that hasn't a server where store all that info that you saved before (like infinity blade, asphalt, FIFA, or Evernote and simple note). So I'll be always restoring my backup, never seen an impact in my performance so there's no reason to spend a lot of time leaving my device as I like (since the icon's position until finish the game again). Some example of apps that you lost all are: smart budget, Whatsapp and pvz I felt very happy when I did a fresh restore but keep the data with iTools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.