Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
I always restore from backup. I know there may be battery benefits to starting new but hey.. ain't nobody got time for all that. ;) :D

:apple:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do as you wish, it will have the same results. Some swear by doing as new but I have always just done a full restore and walked away with a great phone ready to go to work!

But it is like a religion and it is up to you. . .well if it is like religion, you may only be able to do it for a little while longer! People hate religion now!

rhaezorblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
For what its worth, I upgraded my iPad Air from iOS 7 to 8, which is similar to restoring an old backup.. ie transfering settings and such, not setting up as new with fresh settings.

Only after I couldn't get the Remote App to detect my Home Sharing devices, I reset my Network Settings on the iPad, did I realize there was supposed to an option for attaching to my iPhone 6's personal hotspot, directly from the ipad without having to enable it on my iPhone. I recall hearing about this feature for the Macs many months ago during the iOS8 preview, but didnt recall it would be available for iPads. Basically a new and big benefit to iOS 8 wasn't even showing in my wifi settings prior to resetting my Network Settings. That has convinced me to never restore after iOS releases on new iPhones.

TLDR = there does appear to be real benefits to starting fresh on iOS devices.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Setting up as new is the best way to go. I would caution upgrading to 8.0.2 though, for some reason my battery life is draining while I am sleeping after the update.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
You should be fine restoring from backup. If performance is an issue after you restored from back up then you can just restore the phone again and set it up as new.

This exactly. It's not like you're stuck with whichever choice you make. Start by restoring from backup for convenience and if you notice funky things happening then restore again and set up as new.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
There are always the "set up as new" purists out there, but I say restore from backup. If there are problems, you can always set up as new later. All you are out is a bit of time, and if you are backed up in iCloud, not even much of that. Whenever I restore from iCloud I just type in my credentials, connect to wifi, and walk away for a bit.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I restored from iCloud backup on the day of the iPhone 6 release. It took quite a long time since the servers were probably being hammered that day. Everything works fine, and it was convenient to have my settings applied to the new phone. The only issue I found was that the lifetime call timer seems to have copied the time from the previous phone, and that stat can't be reset.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
My IP6 is using a backup that I originally made from my Ipod touch 1st gen and it seems to be ok.

If you have something wrong with your phone (software or hardware) first thing apple will tell you is to restore your phone and set up as new (which will usually never fix the problem)

mjb59463

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2012
I always set up my phone as new. It isn't really too much of a pain for me to sync all my stuff back on, but that could be different for some folks.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I would just stick with what has worked with you before. I have never restored as new--never had any issues with using a backup--so as long as that method works for me, I'll stick with it.

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Setting up as new is the best way to go. I would caution upgrading to 8.0.2 though, for some reason my battery life is draining while I am sleeping after the update.

Thank you for that as I consider it a extremely helpful tip. I will stick with 8.0.0 until the kinks are worked out.

----------

Thank you guys for all the advice. My 6 Plus just arrive at home via UPS (my wife signed for me) but I'm still at work and won't be done running errands until about 8:00pm tonight. I'm looking forward to trying out my new device. This 4S of mine is long passed its prime time. Time to retire it...

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Ok so I decided to set it up as a new phone and this things run great! Very smooth with 0 hiccups that I can see. Only one problem. The battery life is not up to par considering the reports I have heard.
When I turn the device on for the first time the battery life was at 70%. I found that to be a bit strange. During the time I was sleeping last night the battery went from 44% to 37%. During this time the phone wasn't even being used. I'm also still on OS 8.0.0.
So far I absolutely love the device oppose to the poor battery life which I hope will be fixed with a software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.