Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2010
In the past, I simply restored from my iCloud backup, which would sync and pull in all my contacts, IM's, settings, and Apps to my new phone.

For whatever reason, I think I want to start fresh and setup the phone as new, and then re-download the apps I want and start fresh with arranging them, etc. Think of it as a spring cleaning ;)

Anyhow, is there a way for me to setup the phone as new and only have my Contacts and Messages synced from iCloud, but nothing else?

Just curious what everyone else does, do you setup as new or restore from your previous iPhone (if you had one)?

ehzool

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2014
I always set it up as new.

1. Because as you said, I do a bit of spring cleaning.
2. It gives me more time to play with my new phone ;) If I just back it up, there's nothing to do

rritterson

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
DC USA
Anyhow, is there a way for me to setup the phone as new and only have my Contacts and Messages synced from iCloud, but nothing else?

Contacts, yes--just setup as new and then enable iCloud contacts, presuming you were using iCloud contact syncing before.

Messages, no, there is no way to cloud sync them without restoring a whole backup.

I always restore from backup. Saves time, puts all my icons where I like them, sets app settings to what I want, etc.

mileycyrus

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
If you plan to restore from backup, do you need to upgrade your current phone to ios8 first? Or will it be able to restore an ios7 backup onto the ios8 iphone 6?

sixxmum

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2010
I've done both, but I'm thinking about starting fresh this time. On the other hand, I do like how I have it arranged now...

vitacura

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
In the past I have set up from backup, but I will probably set up as a new one next time.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Restore from iTunes encrypted backup. I don't want to loose where all my stuff is. I'm comfortable with things where they belong and have never had any issues.
I've set up as new a couple of times, only to go back and do a full restore later.

selahvie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
What about all your app data (games, etc.)? What do you folks do about that, or does is just not bother you?

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
In the past, I simply restored from my iCloud backup, which would sync and pull in all my contacts, IM's, settings, and Apps to my new phone.

For whatever reason, I think I want to start fresh and setup the phone as new, and then re-download the apps I want and start fresh with arranging them, etc. Think of it as a spring cleaning ;)

Just curious what everyone else does, do you setup as new or restore from your previous iPhone (if you had one)?

I always restore and never have a problem with it.

Going the "new" route is no problem if you don't have any data on your phone that you care about saving (other than stuff that is backed up on servers / the cloud).

Ncage1974

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Always a backup and its exactly what i plan to do this time. If you have your phone setup exactly how you like it why setup everything again?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I always restore from backup. Been doing this forever, which is why I got the 128GB. I keep ALL my texts and photos. My current 32GB has almost 0MB space since it's filled with 12GB of photos and 4.5GB of texts.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
When restoring doesn't the "other" data also get restored? I've got 2.13GB on my 5 right now.

Yes, that is correct. If you restore from a backup, the "other" data will get restored. The only way to prevent this from happening is to set it up as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.