Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
First, unfortunately the phone is gone and it sucks but there is now really nothing that can be done. The security in place on the phone was not used and that is a lesson that you've now learned.

In spite of that, I am surprised to see that you started a page to take donations.
The fact here is that you can buy any phone for much less and continue to keep in contact with your daughter while she is participating in after school activities. I understand the need to keep in contact and respect it. I don't care what you buy your kid, but things like gofundme.com and the likes should be used for other purposes. Donations to a good cause would be much better than donations to a 14 year old's future iPhone.

I don't lack the slightest bit of sympathy but I do have perspective. I understand she looks sad and as a parent it is killing you. In that case you tell her you'll buy another phone when you can. She should be able to understand that.

People will donate if they want and those who do not want to, they won't. I just think when you tell someone they lack sympathy because they're not on board with your plan then you're the man who lacks all kinds of perspective. Again, nothing can be done about the phone. It sucks but it is what it is.

It's not that they don't agree with me. It's the name calling. There is no need for that.

tritron

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2014
I think if school got involved then may be they could put pressure on whoever stole the iphone. Well I dont see why police does not be more proactive ?
All would take was to install camera above the locker and dummy iphone and someone watching lockers and have op daughter use new iphone and than place dummy iphone in backpack and lets wait for who stole the iphone and grab that person.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I think if school got involved then may be they could put pressure on whoever stole the iphone. Well I dont see why police does not be more proactive ?
All would take was to install camera above the locker and dummy iphone and someone watching lockers and have op daughter use new iphone and than place dummy iphone in backpack and lets wait for who stole the iphone and grab that person.

I filed a police report, told the principal and band director to look out for it. I wish they would put a camera and I can do the dummy phone trick so I can call them out on it because no kid should go through this. Anyone who has had anything stolen from them knows that feeling. It sucks!

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I have never had a phone lost or stolen. But then again I don't EVER leave my phone in a bag unattended. Even if the phone is dead I keep it on my person at all times unless I am at home walking around the house. Lesson learned. On a side note note sure why you started a go fund me page. So because your daughter learned a expensive lesson you expect people to pay you. Seems a bit backwards. Or maybe I mobbing harsh and judgmental. You guys tell me. I want a new iPad should I start a page to rase the money? Just wondering. LOL

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
I would not call OP a bun but he clearly has his priorities wrong.

I had sympathy until he mentioned he was not in great financial shape and still went ahead with a $800 iphone purchase for a teen.

Emotionally, it may make sense, but financially its a terrible terrible decision for a depreciating discretionary item. If I were in this position, I would have taken the opportunity to explain the concept of saving and sacrifice when money is tight...

The best way forward is to 'earn' another $800.. part time job, tutoring, ebay old junk, saving on lunch, not eating out, veggies instead of meat for dinner.. you get the idea. The replacement phone will be more appreciated when earned via 'handout'

----------

. So because your daughter learned a expensive lesson you expect people to pay you. Seems a bit backwards. Or maybe I mobbing harsh and judgmental. You guys tell me. I want a new iPad should I start a page to rase the money? Just wondering. LOL

Unfortunately, since the financial bail outs... alot of folks think this is the normal way to act. Hand-out vs hand-UP

Last edited:

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I filed a police report, told the principal and band director to look out for it. I wish they would put a camera and I can do the dummy phone trick so I can call them out on it because no kid should go through this. Anyone who has had anything stolen from them knows that feeling. It sucks!

I'm sorry you are going through this, and even more sorry for your daughter. It's a really sad story. I have a 14 year old nephew, and I'd feel terrible if his iPhone gets stolen (He gets his iPhone 6 on Thursday 11/13). I'm sure your daughter feels awful about this. I don't think 14 is too young to have an iPhone, BUT, my sister (my nephew's Mom) is very strict when it comes to cell phones, she won't let him bring it to school, she is actually thinking of getting a cheap phone, like a prepaid phone, for him to take to school. It's too late now, but you might want to do that if you get your daughter another iPhone, get a cheap phone for her to use in school, and only let her use the iPhone on weekends when she's with you.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I had sympathy until he mentioned he was not in great financial shape and still went ahead with a $800 iphone purchase for a teen.

Emotionally, it may make sense, but financially its a terrible terrible decision for a depreciating discretionary item. If I were in this position, I would have taken the opportunity to explain the concept of saving and sacrifice when money is tight...

The best way forward is to 'earn' another $800.. part time job, tutoring, ebay old junk, saving on lunch, not eating out, veggies instead of meat for dinner.. you get the idea. The replacement phone will be more appreciated when earned via 'handout'

----------

Unfortunately, since the financial bail outs... alot of folks think this is the normal way to act. Hand-out vs hand-UP

I have never asked for a handout in my life. I graduated college with a 3.85 gpa and have made a good amount of money in my life. In this specific situation, my emotions are doing the talking more than anything and again I appreciate the people who were kind and understanding. If anything I'm the one who's always handing out help to people in my life and Im not taking about my kids.

----------

I'm sorry you are going through this, and even more sorry for your daughter. It's a really sad story. I have a 14 year old nephew, and I'd feel terrible if his iPhone gets stolen (He gets his iPhone 6 on Thursday 11/13). I'm sure your daughter feels awful about this. I don't think 14 is too young to have an iPhone, BUT, my sister (my nephew's Mom) is very strict when it comes to cell phones, she won't let him bring it to school, she is actually thinking of getting a cheap phone, like a prepaid phone, for him to take to school. It's too late now, but you might want to do that if you get your daughter another iPhone, get a cheap phone for her to use in school, and only let her use the iPhone on weekends when she's with you.

Thank you Scott for the kind words and for not judging :).

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Dude I hope you understand how much of a con man you sound like. You keep saying "things will get better I know it". So if you're so positive then why don't you just wait out the storm and buy your daughter the next iPhone and just get her a tracphone until then? I am reporting your gofund page and am definitely going to make sure you don't scam these good hearted people of macrumors.

I've been on these forums for 3 years so it's not like I made this thread to scam. I just want to replace what she had as it meant s lot to her and that's why I said I'll take care of the majority of the cost. I did not scam anyone. They did it out of the goodness of their heart and I respect that. Do what you please dude.

Last edited:

YungMoola94

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I've been on these forums for 3 years so it's not like I made this thread to scam. I just want to replace what she had as it meant s lot to her and that's why I said I'll take care of the majority of the cost. I did not scam anyone. They did it out of the goodness of their heart and I respect that. Do what you please dude.

Don't worry I will. Also contacting the MODS and the location of the daughters school.

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
Don't worry I will. Also contacting the MODS and the location of the daughters school.

If someone would rather donate money so a 14 year old can have a $800 phone rather than donate to hungry,homeless,helpless children then they deserved to scammed. No need to report

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
It's the one nice thing she owns that she really loves. I went out of my way to get it for her birthday. It might not be the smartest move but I wanted her to know she is special and I'm proud of her. One thing for sure though is things will get better for me. I know it.

I'm not commenting on how you treat your daughter, but don't expect others to find your LUXURY items. That's all.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
If someone would rather donate money so a 14 year old can have a $800 phone rather than donate to hungry,homeless,helpless children then they deserved to scammed. No need to report

^^

I can't believe that people would "donate" to something like this over the thousands of deserving causes out there, but it's their money. On a side note, I bought my daughter a Lexus convertible for her 16th birthday and someone at her school apparently thought it would be cool to tear into the top with a knife. I'm starting a crowdfunding site because she's sad. I'll update with the link later for anyone who has extra $$$ they don't want/need...

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

You are under the erroneous assumption that people who'd throw a few dollars the OP's way don't also donate to the homeless or any other charities. Which would be a potentially mistaken assumption, wouldn't it?

I look at it this way. If I give the OP a few dollars and the OP is full of it, well, I did something for what was supposed to be a 14yo kid who got her phone stolen. I did it because, having a daughter that age, I can relate to how upset mine would feel in that child's place.

Same way I didn't know whether or not the old lady on the street in the cold in Philly really wanted to buy a cup of coffee instead of a fifth of JD. But...she reminded me of my grandma, and I had a 10 in my pocket, so she got it. If my grandma wound up homeless, I'd hope someone would hand her a few dollars if we didn't know where she was and weren't able to help her.

Point being, sometimes it's about a kind gesture and nothing else.

Eh. I've spent more on Apple stuff this year than I'd care to disclose. I can simply lump in any small amount of money given to a stranger on the internet as "more money I spent on Apple stuff this year."

No big deal.

I gave my someone 25 bucks to grow a mustache yesterday. LOL. I mean, as if this is hard for a dude. Yeah... yeah... it goes to prostate cancer charities, but still... 25 bucks? Oh... 50... my company matches. ;)

----------

^^

I can't believe that people would "donate" to something like this over the thousands of deserving causes out there, but it's their money. On a side note, I bought my daughter a Lexus convertible for her 16th birthday and someone at her school apparently thought it would be cool to tear into the top with a knife. I'm starting a crowdfunding site because she's sad. I'll update with the link later for anyone who has extra $$$ they don't want/need...

Surely you had auto insurance?

Someone ran into my son while he was sitting in a parked car last month, but we had insurance. Uninsured/underinsured covered the whole thing less 100 bucks. I suppose the kid could put up a page to get his 100-dollar deductible back, but he's got a FT job and he's 24.

Your point?

----------

Did you ask her who was around her at the time of the lost? Anyone seen her with that phone, followed her, knew where she kept it, waited for the right moment, and snatched it.

That's usually how people get their stuff stolen. By people that know them already. That's just sad, man.

----------

I'm not commenting on how you treat your daughter, but don't expect others to find your LUXURY items. That's all.

You're kidding, right? This is the internet. Some blonde bimbo who ran up her credit cards more than 200k was the first human I can ever recall setting up a site to ask for money to pay off something frivolous. She got every dime. I'd rather hand a few dollars to someone who at the very least claims to be helping out a child who is disappointed at a stolen birthday gift than pay off some hoochie's manicures and trips to Nordstrom, but hey... she got a ton of geek dudes to hand her money because she had big boobs, so anything is possible on the internet, no? ;)

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Claim it under home owners insurance or renters insurance if it never had insurance to begin with.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Claim it under home owners insurance or renters insurance if it never had insurance to begin with.

I wouldn't claim something so small under homeowner's insurance. The premiums would go up more than the value of the device. Ditto renter's insurance.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
If you have homeowners or renters insurance a growing number of those companies cover your phones, my homeowners does. With a modest $50 deductible.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wouldn't claim something so small under homeowner's insurance. The premiums would go up more than the value of the device. Ditto renter's insurance.

I agree. It needs to have separate rider that doesn't count toward the standard claims. You'll get screwed in the long run if you attempt to claim on the regular insurance.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You are under the erroneous assumption that people who'd throw a few dollars the OP's way don't also donate to the homeless or any other charities. Which would be a potentially mistaken assumption, wouldn't it?

I look at it this way. If I give the OP a few dollars and the OP is full of it, well, I did something for what was supposed to be a 14yo kid who got her phone stolen. I did it because, having a daughter that age, I can relate to how upset mine would feel in that child's place.

Same way I didn't know whether or not the old lady on the street in the cold in Philly really wanted to buy a cup of coffee instead of a fifth of JD. But...she reminded me of my grandma, and I had a 10 in my pocket, so she got it. If my grandma wound up homeless, I'd hope someone would hand her a few dollars if we didn't know where she was and weren't able to help her.

Point being, sometimes it's about a kind gesture and nothing else.

Eh. I've spent more on Apple stuff this year than I'd care to disclose. I can simply lump in any small amount of money given to a stranger on the internet as "more money I spent on Apple stuff this year."

No big deal.

I gave my someone 25 bucks to grow a mustache yesterday. LOL. I mean, as if this is hard for a dude. Yeah... yeah... it goes to prostate cancer charities, but still... 25 bucks? Oh... 50... my company matches. ;)

----------

Surely you had auto insurance?

Someone ran into my son while he was sitting in a parked car last month, but we had insurance. Uninsured/underinsured covered the whole thing less 100 bucks. I suppose the kid could put up a page to get his 100-dollar deductible back, but he's got a FT job and he's 24.

Your point?

----------

That's usually how people get their stuff stolen. By people that know them already. That's just sad, man.

----------

You're kidding, right? This is the internet. Some blonde bimbo who ran up her credit cards more than 200k was the first human I can ever recall setting up a site to ask for money to pay off something frivolous. She got every dime. I'd rather hand a few dollars to someone who at the very least claims to be helping out a child who is disappointed at a stolen birthday gift than pay off some hoochie's manicures and trips to Nordstrom, but hey... she got a ton of geek dudes to hand her money because she had big boobs, so anything is possible on the internet, no? ;)

I would not donate to her either. What's your point? If my daughter lost her iPhone, guess what I would do? I would buy her another one, or buy her another phone. I would not ask for donations for a phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have never asked for a handout in my life. I graduated college with a 3.85 gpa and have made a good amount of money in my life. In this specific situation, my emotions are doing the talking more than anything and again I appreciate the people who were kind and understanding. If anything I'm the one who's always handing out help to people in my life and Im not taking about my kids.

----------

Thank you Scott for the kind words and for not judging :).
Quit justifying yourself to these people. You don't have to. Clearly they failed to understand that it wasn't even your idea to start a donation page. A donation oahe is exactly that. A donation. Some dude oulled in tens of thousands on kickstarter to make potatoe salad. Everyone who gave money did so because they wanted to.

People are coming into this thread, reading a post or three, and deciding you are a bum asking for handouts. Whatever. Let them think that. Nothing you can say on here is going to change the mind of a person who judges you based in so little.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Quit justifying yourself to these people. You don't have to. Clearly they failed to understand that it wasn't even your idea to start a donation page. A donation oahe is exactly that. A donation. Some dude oulled in tens of thousands on kickstarter to make potatoe salad. Everyone who gave money did so because they wanted to.

People are coming into this thread, reading a post or three, and deciding you are a bum asking for handouts. Whatever. Let them think that. Nothing you can say on here is going to change the mind of a person who judges you based in so little.

You are absolutely right. I never had any intention to ask for anything but when it was suggested, I jumped at the chance just to make my daughter happy. A big thank you for people like you and the others who never judged me. Respect!

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I would not donate to her either. What's your point? If my daughter lost her iPhone, guess what I would do? I would buy her another one, or buy her another phone. I would not ask for donations for a phone.

I'd do the same thing as you. I assume our circumstances are different than the OP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.