Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This is laughable. There are thousands of these phones on eBay. There is not a single way to ID yours.

----------

No way. An iPhone is not a necessary item. The ip can easily walk into a Walmart and buy a number of phones that cost as little as $20. Your suggestion is madness.

What really is necessary?

Actually why doesn't someone donate an older iPhone OP would your daughter like that?

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
What really is necessary?

Actually why doesn't someone donate an older iPhone OP would your daughter like that?

I thought of that early in the thread. We gave all our older ones to my in laws last month. If I had one, I'd volunteer it.

kewldewd

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2014
Man you shouldve got her an iP5 or 4S. Those are still great for everything she might use it for...unless you've given her a grip of credit cards already & need the apple pay lol j/k good luck hope she does get another iPhone & honestly dont think an oldr one would be too disappointing when she sees how functional it could be. Wont be as beautiful but better to stay under the radar in high school!!

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Firstly, thanks to everyone for all the nice comments and to bunnicula, radio, 01silver4, professor007 and the others for their concern and kindness. Someone mentioned next and another kind member mentioned gofundme so I started a campaign to raise a third of the price of the phone which would take care of the tax and first 6 next payments. I'll take care of the 18 other payments as by then I should be in much better shape hopefully. So far I have 50 of the 250 raised so not much more to go.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
A work friend had her 5c stolen from her jacket at work the other day, she was so upset and unfortunately she neither had an iCloud account or Find My iPhone turned on. It worries me that people completely disregard the suggested settings while setting up their iPhone. New iPhone users don't really seem to understand that iPhones come with a certain amount of necessary settings and precautions. Apple put these things in place to assist you when these bad things happen.

It really worries me that people completely disregard everything during the set up process. It basically means she's never gonna find that phone again and she's lost all the app data and photos on it. She was basically using it like a generic phone, which is not what it is at all. Luckily, she now has a new 5c and I made sure she set up an iCloud account and put Find My iPhone on immediately.

It's a wake up call to all of us, make sure you have these security measures in place. You never know when you're gonna wish you did.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Getting Cs is doing well? That's a laugh, especially with hyperinflated grades in schools nowadays.

Ya but when someone is taking a topic and saying a child is suppose to do well in school. For some well is getting a passing grade. Excelling above and beyond is another.

Bottom line the original comment was intending to those who choose to reward their children is their own choice. People instead of being helpful barrage a guy asking for advice about how to handle a situation not be berated on how to raise his child...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Ya but when someone is taking a topic and saying a child is suppose to do well in school. For some well is getting a passing grade. Excelling above and beyond is another.

Bottom line the original comment was intending to those who choose to reward their children is their own choice. People instead of being helpful barrage a guy asking for advice about how to handle a situation not be berated on how to raise his child...

Fair enough. Just don't call getting Cs "doing well." It might be passing, but it's far from "doing well" unless it's an extraordinary circumstance like if the person was previously getting all Fs.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Firstly, thanks to everyone for all the nice comments and to bunnicula, radio, 01silver4, professor007 and the others for their concern and kindness. Someone mentioned next and another kind member mentioned gofundme so I started a campaign to raise a third of the price of the phone which would take care of the tax and first 6 next payments. I'll take care of the 18 other payments as by then I should be in much better shape hopefully. So far I have 50 of the 250 raised so not much more to go.

Good luck and for what it is worth your choice on how and what you give your child is just that. I use the iphones my daughters(all 3) have also for a GPS tracking using findmyfriends. I have boundaries/alerts set so when they leave school, arrive home and other instances so I know where they are and when. Lets me know when they are coming and going.

Just make sure you add all the other securities to go with it from findmyiphone and insurance if you can.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
Good luck and for what it is worth your choice on how and what you give your child is just that. I use the iphones my daughters(all 3) have also for a GPS tracking using findmyfriends. I have boundaries/alerts set so when they leave school, arrive home and other instances so I know where they are and when. Lets me know when they are coming and going.

Just make sure you add all the other securities to go with it from findmyiphone and insurance if you can.

Thank you sir :). Will make sure to do that on the next one for sure.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Daughters iPhone 6 got stolen...anything I can do?!

Fair enough. Just don't call getting Cs "doing well." It might be passing, but it's far from "doing well" unless it's an extraordinary circumstance like if the person was previously getting all Fs.

But doing well is getting a passing grade. 2.0..is it not? I'd hate to say I am doing well and getting straight A's

Getting straight A's taking college courses in high school would be okay then? I consider this to be excellent!!!

A's and B's would be mediocre?

Not everyone is privileged to think like the other, thinks like the other. Reason we have people who settle to work on steel and others become doctors.

I would never settle for just doing well.

The original comment I responded too was "they are suppose to do well in school"

Again way from the topic and the initial comment. Anyhow...............

Last edited:

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

Excellent news! Feel free to message me your gofundme link. :)

bugelrex

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2014
You may at least be able to write off the theft as a "tax loss" next year, you need to file police report and it will depend on your personal tax situation.

I have not done this, but read somewhere..

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Yep, pretty much thanks to grade inflation. Kids are now entering UCLA, Stanford, Berkeley, etc. with 4.4 GPA and flunking some of the tougher courses there badly.

So my daughters which are taking college courses and passing them is just doing well?

Well enough to pass those classes with an A and passing the college exams so they do not have to take them in college. One saving me a few thousand and showing they can handle college course.

Maybe you are confused with excellerated over AP?

Again still nothing to do with this topic...

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
You're pathetic dude I can't believe you're taking advantage of these nice people. You're milking the cow way too hard. People are actually giving this bum money so he can buy another iPhone for his daughter? Wow. How about you get your self a job and provide for your family instead of making people feel guilty and give you their money that they worked hard for.

I'm not taking advantage of anyone. There are some kind people who offered help because they felt what I went through. I am not a bum and had a job until recently but some unexpected circumstances put me in a big hole but sooner than later things will be ok. You lack sympathy. I feel sorry for you.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So my daughters which are taking college courses and passing them is just doing well?

Well enough to pass those classes with an A and passing the college exams so they do not have to take them in college. One saving me a few thousand and showing they can handle college course.

Maybe you are confused with excellerated over AP?

Again still nothing to do with this topic...

I've said or implied no such thing.

----------

I'm not taking advantage of anyone. There are some kind people who offered help because they felt what I went through. I am not a bum and had a job until recently but some unexpected circumstances put me in a big hole but sooner than later things will be ok. You lack sympathy. I feel sorry for you. Now go find another thread to mess with.

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your job, but straining to save up enough to get another 6 for your daughter when you're currently unemployed isn't the wisest move given that many other less expensive phones can do the job. You're of course not obligated to listen to this but we're saying it's not the smartest thing to do given your financial constraints.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I'm sorry to hear that you've lost your job, but straining to save up enough to get another 6 for your daughter when you're currently unemployed isn't the wisest move given that many other less expensive phones can do the job. You're of course not obligated to listen to this but we're saying it's not the smartest thing to do given your financial constraints.

Honestly seeing how sad she's been in the last 2 days is driving me crazy and I can't stand it. I see your point. Hopefully soon things will get better for me.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You're pathetic dude I can't believe you're taking advantage of these nice people. You're milking the cow way too hard. People are actually giving this bum money so he can buy another iPhone for his daughter? Wow. How about you get your self a job and provide for your family instead of making people feel guilty and give you their money that they worked hard for.

I would not call OP a bun but he clearly has his priorities wrong.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Also, I wouldn't call $175K an outrageous salary for someone who puts in the time and effort of the professors I know (few of whom make that much).

While I don't disagree, my point from the beginning is the salary is, most often, not coming from grant money. I am not claiming that the money is not rightfully earned or deserved. I have a problem with what pot it is coming from. Why should student tuition pay for the majority or all of the salary of the researcher when he/she is teaching only one class. I won't (and never did) claim that this is the norm. But unfortunately there are plenty of examples just from the two schools I attended where the researcher is given a course or two, once or twice a week to teach so that he/she may be on the payroll. I finished my undergrad in CPSLO and most of the non-entry level course professors were this way (I graduated with an Animal Sciences degree). When I received my VetMed degree there were at least half a dozen professors that taught a specialty elective and were free to conduct whatever research it was they were conducting. My tuition there? $30,000 a year. Average professor salary there was over $120k.

And don't get me wrong. I am not even speaking against them, rather the system. They were all GREAT people. One professor even opens his home every year for thanksgiving dinner because he knew we would likely not be traveling back home and didn't want us to be alone for the holiday.

These salaries aren't the number one problem, nor did I ever claim they were. But dismissing a problem because there are bigger problems is not my thing. And I believe this point was encompassed among others in my original point.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I would not call OP a bun but he clearly has his priorities wrong.

It's the one nice thing she owns that she really loves. I went out of my way to get it for her birthday. It might not be the smartest move but I wanted her to know she is special and I'm proud of her. One thing for sure though is things will get better for me. I know it.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
My daughter, too, had her phone stolen at school last week. Luckily, we had insurance with the carrier and were able to get a replacement for $200. Like your daughter, mine had her phone in her school bag, which she thought would be safe.

DD has to pay the $200 herself and is not allowed to take replacement phone to school for the rest of the school year.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
First, unfortunately the phone is gone and it sucks but there is now really nothing that can be done. The security in place on the phone was not used and that is a lesson that you've now learned.

In spite of that, I am surprised to see that you started a page to take donations.
The fact here is that you can buy any phone for much less and continue to keep in contact with your daughter while she is participating in after school activities. I understand the need to keep in contact and respect it. I don't care what you buy your kid, but things like gofundme.com and the likes should be used for other purposes. Donations to a good cause would be much better than donations to a 14 year old's future iPhone.

I don't lack the slightest bit of sympathy but I do have perspective. I understand she looks sad and as a parent it is killing you. In that case you tell her you'll buy another phone when you can. She should be able to understand that.

People will donate if they want and those who do not want to, they won't. I just think when you tell someone they lack sympathy because they're not on board with your plan then you're the man who lacks all kinds of perspective. Again, nothing can be done about the phone. It sucks but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.