Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diegogaja

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
Which specific functionality didn't migrate from iPhoto to photo?

That's not the point and you know it. Why even bother posting a comment like that?

Apple is removing functionality from their free app and discontinuing a flagship paid app on which many people rely. I'm angered by this decision as it necessitates a huge amount of work and expense for me.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
Good grief - I hope they're no omitted from the final release. I find Camera Raw's brushes, and Photoshop's selection tools, nowhere near as effective as Aperture's brushes.

Sorry, I was mistaken. Those functions are in Photos, I just hadn't discovered how to find them.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of aperture support..but I guess I'll try out Lightroom now and see which one I like best. I'm not a fan of cloud based photo services, especially with all of the whole leaked celebrity photos from last year :cool:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Translation: "Aperture is being replaced with Aperture Lite."

PSA: A new version of Lightroom is right around the corner. Anyone feeling the need to switch from Aperture might want to download the trial version of Lr 5 until the announcement for Lr 6 is official.

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
apple.com/feedback ...

left feedback at both the Aperture and OS X sections...

We have a better chance of our thoughts being seen there than most anywhere else.

Sorry but this is simply not true. Apple pays no attention to that site.

As one example, I've tried to report bugs with the new Calendar app here: http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html Sadly, that page still references iCal and the latest version you can report bugs for is 4.04, which was released with Snow Leopard (10.6) five years ago, four full versions back from the Calendar app that comes with Yosemite.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
That's not the point and you know it. Why even bother posting a comment like that?

Apple is removing functionality from their free app and discontinuing a flagship paid app on which many people rely. I'm angered by this decision as it necessitates a huge amount of work and expense for me.

I stand by what I said. If it's not available then find what works for you. Is that so hard for you to understand? Apple made their decision, so you can sit here and argue (which changes nothing) or find the software that you need. Or if necessary switch platforms and use the software that works.

I'm not saying that anyone here shouldn't be frustrated over Apple's decision, but all this forum does constantly is complain rather than search for a solution.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
If iPhoto was all you needed, Photos might be a decent replacement. If you were a serious Aperture user with a large library, especially a referenced library, and used plugins.....don't waste your time looking at Photos.

Move on to Lightroom or Capture One as your new DAM.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
What about adjustments made via brushes? Are these retained? You might not be able (yet) to make such adjustments in Photos but it would be interesting to know if Photos has the ability to read those adjustments.

Any adjustment tool. Again, image edit data is stored as the numeric results of the edit, not as the settings of a particular tool. To greatly, greatly over-simplify, if an edit changes the brightness of a particular pixel by +2, then the result of the edit would be saved as the equivalent of, "(pixel address) +2." It wouldn't matter what tool was used to make that change, the change in the end comes down to a specific number that would be added to or subtracted from one or more of the original pixel's parameters (a color adjustment might be +23 Red, -109 Blue, 0 Green).

Clearly, storing edit data on a pixel-by-pixel basis would be highly inefficient. So a Highlights adjustment may generate an instruction equivalent to, "Adjust the value of all pixels brighter than X by -Y." The same adjustment made with a brush would include a "mask" - a description of the boundaries of the area to be edited, like a series of map coordinates. It might look like this, "Adjust the value of all pixels within the area (boundary list) that are brighter than X by -Y."

So long as the Photos render engine (the program that generates the final image) interprets those instructions in the same way as the render engines in iPhoto and Aperture (and it does), then you will get the same results.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
So much self delusion. Apple has ****ed the semipro/pro photographers - accept it. Aperture won't come back. Hail to to cel phone photos...

that's what the audio/video people thought and now look, a LOT of those features are back. So yes, there's hope.

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Signed?

I guess you might want to keep a copy of Aperture on an external drive, or a few. That's the great thing about buying apps from the Mac App Store instead of buying them on disc; it's very easy to back them up, even in multiple locations.

If and when Apple stops "signing" Aperture, will we no longer be able to install it in the not-too-distant future? :(

----------

There are better alternatives to LR and Aperture, so unless you are only playing at being a photographer you have nothing to worry about as Photos will be all you need. I say this from a perspective of being a pro photographer before the Mac haters descend!

Please be specific and share your expertise. You can save people a lot of time and wallet-ache. Presume we all shoot RAW and want to work in ProRGB. :)

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Lightroom Acclimation & Cloud Avoidance

Although I assumed this would happen with lack of any real focus on the software, I can't say that I am thrilled about the move. I made a decision to stick with Aperture from the beginning. Now I am going to buy Lightroom and move to that. There is no way I'm moving to Photos. It just doesn't seem to be my cup of tea. I don't love how iPhoto works today, but I use it to sync iPhone photos. I am not going to put everything on the cloud unless it driven by me. So basically, Lightroom wins. I'm sure Apple will survive, as will all of us Aperture users.

I too hated Lightroom 3 when I first got it. I hated it so much that I thought, "Hey, maybe paying for the LR4 upgrade will fix everything..." :rolleyes: -so I upgraded, though it didn't change the workflow. I basically stopped upgrading and forced myself to work within Lightroom's scope. I didn't want to roll the dice with the full version of Capture One and DXO was too expensive at the time. YMMV.:)

I wouldn't store anything on the cloud (any cloud) except edited copies of things you want to share. Print the -really important stuff- on the best 8"x10" archival-grade paper you can afford (mPix.com does a great job.) -and keep these hard copies in a museum box. :)

ABK- Always Be Keywording!;)

Last edited:

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Don't understand the dislikes with Lightroom. I jumped from Aperture 2 to LR3 and haven't looked back. As an photography enthusiast, LR is everything that I need it for. Like everything else in life, change is hard. We whine when we are forced to change and have to re-learn things. No different than switching from Win to Mac or vice versa.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Very upset because Photos eliminates crucial Aperture features like "Flagged" which I use constantly. Also upset because last year, once the writing was on the wall, I made a concerted effort to use and learn Lightroom, and I just did not like it for various reasons, and I didn't get to be remotely as fast I was in Aperture.

Screwed.

Apple no longer exists.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
If and when Apple stops "signing" Aperture, will we no longer be able to install it in the not-too-distant future? :(
I'm not sure where you get this idea; a signed application can't suddenly lose its signature. If you mean the certificate used to create that signature, then Apple would have to revoke it for all apps currently signed with it (or allow it to expire), but that doesn't prevent the app from being used anyway, as you can configure Gatekeeper to accept unsigned apps (or simply right-click and choose "open" first time you use them). Plus it has no impact on apps you've already installed.

I don't think that clinging onto Aperture indefinitely is going to work long term; however, if enough users petition Apple for missing features to be added to Photos then by the time they are forced to switch it might be a true replacement. Photos seems to have a decent customisable interface for adding the information and tools you want, so it may be modular enough that re-adding Aperture specific features won't be too difficult (just a matter of time/demand).

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
Wait wait...

Don't understand the dislikes with Lightroom. I jumped from Aperture 2 to LR3 and haven't looked back. As an photography enthusiast, LR is everything that I need it for. Like everything else in life, change is hard. We whine when we are forced to change and have to re-learn things. No different than switching from Win to Mac or vice versa.

:confused:To be clear, I have adapted to the Lightroom workflow and have good media-ingest practices including keywording on import. I always use Lightroom 4.4 and CS6 -now that I'm shooting Canon RAW. It was just a strange leap coming from the Olympus E510/DNG Converter/Bridge/Photoshop workflow. I can't imagine using anything else now. The utility of the application is what's important to me, because I want to get out and shoot more than I want to learn a new program untested by me.

"Hatin' on Adobe..." is popular (and I'm no fan of software rental) but Adobe makes some really great products. That being said, if I were shooting with a Leaf back or a Hasselblad , then I'd use Capture One or Phocus for developing those immense RAW images, and only if Lightroom choked on those formats.

----------

I'm not sure where you get this idea; a signed application can't suddenly lose its signature. If you mean the certificate used to create that signature, then Apple would have to revoke it for all apps currently signed with it (or allow it to expire), but that doesn't prevent the app from being used anyway, as you can configure Gatekeeper to accept unsigned apps (or simply right-click and choose "open" first time you use them). Plus it has no impact on apps you've already installed.

Yes, thanks. I know about Gatekeeper, so this isn't like Apple no longer signing iOS7.1.2? Make sure you have the full :apple: installer package.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
that's what the audio/video people thought and now look, a LOT of those features are back. So yes, there's hope.

No. The FCPX situation was totally different. FCPX was powerful even in the first version, but missing some features - Photos is a castrated piece of **** that is targeted at iPhone photos...

----------

The dislike comes from the ****** workflow - Modes are the sickest way to implement ui interaction. LR is powerful but this separate modules drive me insane.

Dubdrifter

Suspended
Jan 30, 2015
Can't quite understand the mindset of some of the people on here who, on hearing Apple announcing they are no longer supporting Aperture in May, immediately act like a switch has gone off in their brains ……. start acting like lemmings and decide it is time to jump ship from a programme they have loved and used for years - a professional tool that is still relevant and to some, essential to their business.

Wake up you automatons - just because Apple says "Jump" doesn't mean you should jump to something different …… nor should it mean you shouldn't look before you leap.

If it's a good tool - keep it in your toolbox as long as possible - until it is superceded by something markedly better that is firstly worth the switch - and worth the effort and steep learning curve and disruption to your workflow that the switch inevitable entails.

It's quite clear Apple no longer values professional tools in it's toolbox - and is constantly tinkering to damage the workflow of professional + serious amateur users in music and photography industries using their computers …… (Yosemite+Mavericks take a bow - no appreciable improvement in performance that made the disruption worth all the hassle).

If they want to be reduced to just being a gimmicky 'toy' manufacturer - the new Apple Watch clearly confirms that intent - then so be it ….. but it doesn't mean the rest of us should follow them down THAT cul-de-sac.
…… And chuck away what has - and more importantly - still IS a very important tool in the professional photographers' toolbox.

So let's not hear any more "defeatist" talk of "I'm jumping to this" ….. "I'm jumping to that" - that's just what Apple wants you to do ….. being forever jittering from one new fad to another.
……. No point interrupting your workflow.

Stick with and be LOYAL to Aperture …. if that means not upgrading/updating when Apple offer pathetic sometimes retro active 'improvements' to the platform ….. just say NO …… if someone offers you bad drugs that will scramble your brain ….. you just say NO …right?

If it means running an older OS to give you more tool options ….. do it …… and don't be scared by threats like …..
1) It won't be compatible with XYZ. ….. consider ….. do you really need XYZ - if so, is there or will there shortly be an alternative 'fix' to compatibility. Independent programmers are constantly creating ways to make your device more flexible ….. despite the concerted efforts of Apple.

2) You won't get security update support. …… there are many, even free, probably better alternatives to your computer's security than Apple Support.

3) I don't want to get left behind with new developments. …… when Apple comes up with a significantly advantageous new development for the professional user (don't hold your breath) ……. then THAT is the time to 'jump' ….. but maybe more from surprise these days!

So Support Aperture for as long as it is relevant to your work - and who knows - maybe someone at Apple might realise where the market is shifting and become serious about serving the needs of the professional user again.
And don't forget to keep and dust off your older devices running earlier OS that give you more user flexibility.
And as I mentioned in another post ….. support Snow Leopard Appreciation Society Hub (SLASH) ….. and piss on Yosemite/Mavericks users performance-wise.

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The only adjustment you can use a brush for is 'retouch'
The rest of the adjustments in photos apply to the whole picture.

The total list of adjustments are:
Light - exposure, highlights etc
Color - basically saturation only
Black and White
Sharpen
Definition
Noise Reduction
Vignette
White Balance
Levels

It is certainly no Aperture replacement.

----------

No you won't be.
Lightroom is horrible. I have used it on/off since the first public beta before version 1. It is still no where near as good as Aperture for usability.

Capture One is good. However I am using a 4k display and it is slow as hell to make adjustments with. I have spent a fortune on a new Mac Pro with 64GB ram etc and it is almost unusable to use masks in 'Local adjustments' with very bad lag.
I have read of others suffering the same problem so I am not alone...

To each their own. I completely disagree. I used Aperture for years before switching to Lightroom in 2012 and I've never looked back. Aperture has no place in a professional workflow.

As for 4k support in Capture One, version 8.2 will be released soon with enhanced 4k support. The beta became available to Phase One Certified Professionals a few days ago.

randyj

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2004
To each their own. I completely disagree. I used Aperture for years before switching to Lightroom in 2012 and I've never looked back. Aperture has no place in a professional workflow.

As for 4k support in Capture One, version 8.2 will be released soon with enhanced 4k support. The beta became available to Phase One Certified Professionals a few days ago.

Hey I have been a pro for 10 years and love Aperture. It works fine. I have shot global campaigns for large wine companies all tethered to Aperture no problem.

The main thing I wish it had was a server version so multiple people could hook into the one library at once. e.g. in our studio I might do a selection, then I have to get out of the library and the creative director will open it up and refine the selection. Then I will get back in and generate contact sheets for the clients. Then I will work with a retoucher to get the files all processed as far as possible. Then they take over and edit in photoshop etc before the files are used in layouts in indesign. I guess that I am lucky in that sense that when I do professional work, I only have to worry about taking images, the end result is handled by other people.

Great to know about 8.2 Capture One. Can't wait for that!

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Can't quite understand the mindset of some of the people on here who, on hearing Apple announcing they are no longer supporting Aperture in May, immediately act like a switch has gone off in their brains ……. start acting like lemmings and decide it is time to jump ship from a programme they have loved and used for years - a professional tool that is still relevant and to some, essential to their business.

Wake up you automatons - just because Apple says "Jump" doesn't mean you should jump to something different …… nor should it mean you shouldn't look before you leap.

If it's a good tool - keep it in your toolbox as long as possible - until it is superceded by something markedly better that is firstly worth the switch - and worth the effort and steep learning curve and disruption to your workflow that the switch inevitable entails.

It's quite clear Apple no longer values professional tools in it's toolbox - and is constantly tinkering to damage the workflow of professional + serious amateur users in music and photography industries using their computers …… (Yosemite+Mavericks take a bow - no appreciable improvement in performance that made the disruption worth all the hassle).

If they want to be reduced to just being a gimmicky 'toy' manufacturer - the new Apple Watch clearly confirms that intent - then so be it ….. but it doesn't mean the rest of us should follow them down THAT cul-de-sac.
…… And chuck away what has - and more importantly - still IS a very important tool in the professional photographers' toolbox.

So let's not hear any more "defeatist" talk of "I'm jumping to this" ….. "I'm jumping to that" - that's just what Apple wants you to do ….. being forever jittering from one new fad to another.
……. No point interrupting your workflow.

Stick with and be LOYAL to Aperture …. if that means not upgrading/updating when Apple offer pathetic sometimes retro active 'improvements' to the platform ….. just say NO …… if someone offers you bad drugs that will scramble your brain ….. you just say NO …right?

If it means running an older OS to give you more tool options ….. do it …… and don't be scared by threats like …..
1) It won't be compatible with XYZ. ….. consider ….. do you really need XYZ - if so, is there or will there shortly be an alternative 'fix' to compatibility. Independent programmers are constantly creating ways to make your device more flexible ….. despite the concerted efforts of Apple.

2) You won't get security update support. …… there are many, even free, probably better alternatives to your computer's security than Apple Support.

3) I don't want to get left behind with new developments. …… when Apple comes up with a significantly advantageous new development for the professional user (don't hold your breath) ……. then THAT is the time to 'jump' ….. but maybe more from surprise these days!

So Support Aperture for as long as it is relevant to your work - and who knows - maybe someone at Apple might realise where the market is shifting and become serious about serving the needs of the professional user again.
And don't forget to keep and dust off your older devices running earlier OS that give you more user flexibility.
And as I mentioned in another post ….. support Snow Leopard Appreciation Society Hub (SLASH) ….. and piss on Yosemite/Mavericks users performance-wise.

Except that the next camera you buy won't be supported in Aperture. Why put work into a dead-end solution when you know that you have to switch eventually (and possibly have to convert all your old work).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.