Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I agree, I hate Windows but some of these companies are finally starting to make some very quality products. The XPS is 2.6 pounds, the Zenbook is 3.2 pounds and both are thinner than the MacBook. I'd sacrifice the .5-1.2 pounds to have a superior CPU, GPU, more RAM, a better display and I still have all the ports and a card reader just in case I every need them and I spent less money.

The lack of ports is my only complaint. I will live with it, though, and get a pseudo docking station.

I do miss the choice I had when I was a Windows user. I'm just ecstatic that Apple went all out to make this thing thin and lite. I love OS X!

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
Why do you spend so much time here trying to convince people to not buy the new rMB?

This thread is for people who changed their mind. I was excited for the new MacBook and was planning to get it until I saw the specs and heard the price. So just giving reasons why I changed my mind and a lot has to do with the competition putting out better machines at this point. At the end of the day, its your money, spend it how you like!

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
You're joking right? Both the Dell XPS 13 and Asus Zenbook UX303LN are both more powerful and cheaper than the MacBook with better displays. They are both made of aluminum too. They are hardly Hyundais :rolleyes:

The Asus Zenbook UX303LN

Intel i7 4510U 2.0GHz
QHD 3200x1800 display
12GB RAM
256GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GT 840M with 2GB DDR3
$1199

they are maybe cheaper and more powerful and even maybe have aluminum casings, but they're still not made with the same built quality....Ive you seen the keyboard of the XPS 13?? I saw it in stores and was bad...

and the sneak also doesn't look like a very sexy computer....just like the Yoga 3 wit its nasty hinge...

even though looks aren't all that important, your going to look at you computer all day...for me with the MB I will gave the nicest computer arroud

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
This thread is for people who changed their mind. I was excited for the new MacBook and was planning to get it until I saw the specs and heard the price. So just giving reasons why I changed my mind and a lot has to do with the competition putting out better machines at this point. At the end of the day, its your money, spend it how you like!

That makes sense, then. I can see why people change their mind. I'm still going for it (one and only port).

Choices sure are nice.

----------

they are maybe cheaper and more powerful and even maybe have aluminum casings, but they're still not made with the same built quality....Ive you seen the keyboard of the XPS 13?? I saw it in stores and was bad...

and the sneak also doesn't look like a very sexy computer....just like the Yoga 3 wit its nasty hinge...

even though looks aren't all that important, your going to look at you computer all day...for me with the MB I will gave the nicest computer arroud

As I've said in other threads, I look at Apple products as a combination of art and engineering. I love the beauty in their products. The new rMB has that aspect down.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
That makes sense, then. I can see why people change their mind. I'm still going for it (one and only port).

Choices sure are nice.

they aren't actually...did you see in what color the Asus Zenbook comes in? Brown...

and dont get me started on the yoga 3...

I guess their specs are good..but still, my experience with windows, is that they're always slow...of course this might have changed and varies with computer...but i never had a problem with mac

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
Why does the windows is slow idea persist? Windows 8.1 runs on lower hardware than Yosemite will. I don't think windows is slow given the same specs. Apple makes higher end devices.

The aesthetics of apple and OS X are what sell it for me. Speed Not so much.

ByteTheBooty

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2015
Why does the windows is slow idea persist? Windows 8.1 runs on lower hardware than Yosemite will. I don't think windows is slow given the same specs. Apple makes higher end devices.

my experiences were with with windows 7...im sure you are right and windows is maybe faster now

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I've used windows on 1gb ram tablets hooked up to a 1080p display. The tablet was able to snap a video to one half and handle emails on the other half. There were no hiccups.

Yosemite would not run on that hardware. I enjoy using OS X more than windows though. I use windows as my server machine and for steam.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

For me, it's the application support. Most of my apps are either Mac-exclusive or don't run as well on Windows.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Yes. My Dell XPS M1330 from 2007 (T9300, 4GB RAM) took a big step forward with 8.1.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
That has to be one of the silliest reasons I have read yet why someone is not purchasing a MB in this day of Dropbox, iTunes, iCloud, etc.

I can't access cloud storage at work everything I do at home has to be burned onto a disk to be transferred. That's not normal but it is what it is. I really wanted a MacBook but then the pixel was announced so I changed my mind.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Windows slow? I don't think so.

Windows has never been a slow OS when compared to Apple OS of any flavor. What I don't like about windows are all those predators out there who keep trying to cripple and steal from Windows machines. I still have one machine which runs Windows and with full anti-virus protection I got one recently which took hours to clean from the machine. What a real pain!

What I like a lot about Apple products is their integration with each other and their relative simplicity. Additionally the quality and battery life of the portable Macs has always exceeded the Windows products. And so far I have not gotten one single virus on my Apple products. knock on wood!

And before any screams foul I have owned some of the best Windows laptops in the past. The most memorable was my Sony Vao, it was a very solid product.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Windows slow? I don't think so.

Windows has never been a slow OS when compared to Apple OS of any flavor. What I don't like about windows are all those predators out there who keep trying to cripple and steal from Windows machines. I still have one machine which runs Windows and with full anti-virus protection I got one recently which took hours to clean from the machine. What a real pain!

What I like a lot about Apple products is their integration with each other and their relative simplicity. Additionally the quality and battery life of the portable Macs has always exceeded the Windows products. And so far I have not gotten one single virus on my Apple products. knock on wood!

And before any screams foul I have owned some of the best Windows laptops in the past. The most memorable was my Sony Vao, it was a very solid product.

You have a point. Nevertheless I have to admit that I did not have positive experience with my Sony Vaio. With time it became extremely slow, and there were some hardware issues as well.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
they aren't actually...did you see in what color the Asus Zenbook comes in? Brown...

and dont get me started on the yoga 3...

I guess their specs are good..but still, my experience with windows, is that they're always slow...of course this might have changed and varies with computer...but i never had a problem with mac

The specs aren't good though. Based on the performance of the OS eeek... it probably needs more specs.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
The only thing that has me on the fence now is Skylake. People are speaking very highly of it and I'd hate to buy this now only for Skylake to come and bring substantial performance enhancements.

I can't access cloud storage at work everything I do at home has to be burned onto a disk to be transferred. That's not normal but it is what it is. I really wanted a MacBook but then the pixel was announced so I changed my mind.

Wait, what? The pixel is an even LESS capable device. I don't understand this at all.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The only thing that has me on the fence now is Skylake. People are speaking very highly of it and I'd hate to buy this now only for Skylake to come and bring substantial performance enhancements.

Wait, what? The pixel is an even LESS capable device. I don't understand this at all.

How is it less capable?

squirrrl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
San Diego, CA

how are you going to use a pixel at work if you can't access cloud storage. Chrome OS is basically all online. A pixel is mostly useless without internet connectivity.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
how are you going to use a pixel at work if you can't access cloud storage. Chrome OS is basically all online. A pixel is mostly useless without internet connectivity.

It'll run Linux just fine so there's no need to worry about offline work. Neither can access the network at work so that's not an issue. The pixel is more powerful, has better battery life, and has a better screen aspect ratio.

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
First post.

I've changed/will probably change my mind from a 13" rMBP to a rMB with 512 GB flash. The reason: If the rMB can prove suitable for my mobile needs, then the iMac 5K already budget approved for late spring, can be moved ahead to April, with the 13" rMBP pushed back to early summer. Provided the rMB can be delivered in two week, I would think.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
First post.

I've changed/will probably change my mind from a 13" rMBP to a rMB with 512 GB flash. The reason: If the rMB can prove suitable for my mobile needs, then the iMac 5K already budget approved for late spring, can be moved ahead to April, with the 13" rMBP pushed back to early summer. Provided the rMB can be delivered in two week, I would think.

So are you still getting all three: rMBP, rMB, and iMac 5K eventually?

ruhollah glare

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2015
So are you still getting all three: rMBP, rMB, and iMac 5K eventually?

I believe so, as I've been planning a big upgrade for the last year. This *first* iteration rMB can't replace the MBP in the long run, and I want the iMac for screen size. Once my iPhone 5s is upgraded to the 6 next March :rolleyes:, all will be complete. Its my bid to eliminate the iPad.

Were Apple to introduce a retina 21.5"-27" display, there wouldn't be a need for the iMac. Not holding my breath for that.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
It'll run Linux just fine so there's no need to worry about offline work. Neither can access the network at work so that's not an issue. The pixel is more powerful, has better battery life, and has a better screen aspect ratio.

More powerful at what?! It can't run desktop apps, whatever it does spec wise is nerfed by the fact that it doesnt have software built to take advantage of it. You don't need to be a speed demon when all you do is run chrome apps. This POV continues to make no sense. Linux...lol give me a break.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
More powerful at what?! It can't run desktop apps, whatever it does spec wise is nerfed by the fact that it doesnt have software built to take advantage of it. You don't need to be a speed demon when all you do is run chrome apps. This POV continues to make no sense. Linux...lol give me a break.

I use Linux daily and have for 10 years.

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
After watching the Vietnamese video of it up on the main page, Im 100% positive I won't be getting one now. It looks very cheap, not like a $1300 Macbook. I need a laptop and already returned the new rMBP 13 because of the awful GPU performance, there is no rMBP 15 update for a good 6 months and this looks like a toy. Guess I'll be buying a new Windows laptop for the first time in nearly 10 years. Need to get your ***** together Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.