Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
It made with iPod touch material not iPhone material. It just a iPod touch added with phone function and 128gb for under $499, 256 gb will be more.

It is like combine iPhone 5c and iPod touch together.

You didn't read what i said about the storage...

iPhones have not the same storage type as the ipod classics (a hard drive), iphones use flash memory and that's not cheap, you will never get currently a 128gb Apple device for under $499 that is a fantasy but everybody is allowed to dream.:rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
It's like Apple has given up on the iPod range. I'd be happy if they culled it down to a few models, but at least update those . Part of me thinks jobs kept the iPod range going.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
2014 was the most successful year regarding iphones sales, why Apple would like to sell cheap ipods touch again when they can make you pay more than double for an iphone?

Also pretty much they are replacing the ipods for the iwatch, they want you now to buy an iwatch. And an iwatch is useless without an iphone so...there you go...show me the money.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just wondering if people think Apple will update the iPod Touch this year? I have a Nano 3rd gen I use for the car, and it works great, but was toying with the idea of upgrading to an iPod Touch as I have no iOS devices, left those for Android, but I have collected a lot of iOS apps over the years and my Mac won't run them haha. So was toying with a Touch as iPod tend to be the one device you never get rid off or change often, unlike a phone.

Now I could hold out until Christmas and have the 16GB one as a present (daft thinking about this in February I know), but will it be updated by then, or still around even? The plan is I would just leave it in my pocket and use bluetooth for the car, I'll put one of those thin sticky plastic armour cases on it, but the key is it's small enough to leave in a pocket. If they update it then it may be too big for that if they give it the iPhone 6 screen? Because I have my mobile in the pocket too.

And as to why I use an iPod for music? Simple, I haven't found anything better than iTunes for me, so I stick with it and the iPod, can you also purchase music direct to the iPod Touch, and download podcast to it?

So yeah, most of my apps are games, I know the 5th gen will happily run my older titles like Robocalypse, but will it run Real Racing 3 or Sky Gamblers Cold War? Which came out last year or 2013.

It doesn't look good. If they had an incentive to update them sooner, they already would've. The technology is there; it's not like they couldn't make a sixth generation iPod touch, slap in even the A8, the 4.7" screen, and touchID, and charged $100 more than the fifth generation costs presently.

The amount of articles out there warning users with A5 devices to not update to iOS 8 would lead me to believe that, as has been tradition for a while now, that their development team is having to expend special effort to keep the A5 running smoothly. If the rumors of it being a Snow Leopard-esque release that de-bloats the OS are even slightly true, then it is that much more likely that support for said A5 devices will be dropped at that time to further streamline and make-lean the new OS.

As has been stated in the case for at least a dozen threads on the topic of the future of the iPod touch, the fact that the fifth generation iPod touch is still being sold with no current successor has led some to believe that (a) a successor is coming and/or (b) the fifth generation iPod touch is being allowed to run iOS 9. However, with a decent case disproving the latter and a lack of substantial evidence to support the former, it seems that the more likely case scenario is that the iPod touch is discontinued sometime prior to the launch of iOS 9 altogether and not given the update to iOS 9.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
The ipod touch is always refreshed at most every 13 months. It is due for a refresh in Summer of 2015. Hopefully it will be a major upgrade, as the last upgrade was very, very minor. Wait a couple of months and see...

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
The ipod touch is always refreshed at most every 13 months. It is due for a refresh in Summer of 2015. Hopefully it will be a major upgrade, as the last upgrade was very, very minor. Wait a couple of months and see...

Originally, it was refreshed each year, the 5th gen was created two years after the 4th, and the second year after the release of the latest iPod we still haven't got it yet. If it doesn't get updated this september, then it's good-bye iPod Touch.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Release date for ipod touch 5 was:

October 11, 2012

and that a was long long time ago...in a galaxy far far away...

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England
Personally, I feel that the iPod Touch is a dying brand. Sadly, sales of iPhones are taking off. On top of that, you have music streaming services.

Overall, Apple has set up a competition where the iPod line is being demoted by the advancements of the iPhone.

iPods for me are iPhones with better battery life. You can listen to music on them for longer amounts of time, they are lighter, and above all, they are pretty durable.

On long road trips, my iPod touch 4th Generation lives up to its name with more hours of music playback compared to my 4S which has to stay on to receive phone calls.

I would be sad if a new iPod Touch did not come out. It still has a market. It just has been abused. Touch ID, a micro SD slot, and, colorful 5th generation designs could be a breaking point if, the line continued. This way, it could be marketed more as a durable, fun, alternative for your kid's first Apple Device.:cool:

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
LOL i cant listen to music (google play music stream) and surfing using safari cause from time to time the device reboots by itself.

I assume the processor doesn't have enought power anymore to handle those at the same time.

Anyways browsing with safari has become a pain with ios 8.3 pretty slow browsing... Apple shouldn't continue selling this device for that price. It's not ethic.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
The iPod Touch 4 was ONE instance and it had a tiny market share. The iPad 1 had been off the shelves for over a year once it didn't get iOS 6 and it also had a tiny market share.

Apple isn't a charity, but leaving 59 percent of its users on iPads behind is a little extreme.

Not sure why consumers are so eager for these devices to loose support. Longer support cycles can only be to the advantage of users! The whole point of iOS 9 is supposedly to improve performance, so if performance is better than iOS 8, there is no reason to drop A5 devices.

In addition to that, supporting a device that consumers are being sold right now is not 'charity' its justification for spending the premium on apple devices.

So, you're telling me this.

A company like apple, thats worth multi-billion is ignorantly going to invest MONEY & LABOR on optimizing an OS for devices 5 years old and that ARE ALREADY obsolete and supporting them for one more year?

It crashes at 200MB, its not usable. Hell even signing in with a passcode takes time.

My 5th Gen iPod works BETTER, but thats not saying much, still waiting 10 seconds at a time sometimes to browse or switch apps.

The ONLY reason i got the 5th Gen iPod was to optimize and fix the memory issues with the 200MB memory LIMITATION.

I don't know how many old Devices you have to work with or just have for personal use.

I come across MANY, since i work with them.

edit in bold: labor for apple isn't cheap, because the guys that work iOS aren't factory workers.

why the hell would apple spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to optimize it for devices that are 5 years old that are not going to be supported in the following year?

If they drop support, who would care? It only makes the consumer believe that its time for a new model. Supporting this model would only have those "non tech savvy users" to keep their aging models until next quarter or year.

Financially, marketing wise, investment wise, it doesn't make any sense.

Im sure car companies are also going to invest on better parts for older car models so that their customers can keep on riding their aging automobiles of another 10 years rather then purchase new ones.

:eek:

Last edited:

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

A company like apple, thats worth multi-billion is ignorantly going to invest MONEY & LABOR on optimizing an OS for devices 5 years old and that ARE ALREADY obsolete and supporting them for one more year?

It crashes at 200MB, its not usable. Hell even signing in with a passcode takes time.

My 5th Gen iPod works BETTER, but thats not saying much, still waiting 10 seconds at a time sometimes to browse or switch apps.

The ONLY reason i got the 5th Gen iPod was to optimize and fix the memory issues with the 200MB memory LIMITATION.

I don't know how many old Devices you have to work with or just have for personal use.

labor for apple isn't cheap, because the guys that work on it aren't factory workers.

why the hell would apple spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to optimize it for devices that are 5 years old that are not going to be supported in the following year?

If they drop support, who would care? It only makes the consumer believe that its time for a new model. Supporting this model would only have those "non tech savvy users" to keep their aging models until next quarter or year.

Im sure car companies are also going to invest on better parts for older car models so that their customers can keep on riding their aging automobiles of another 10 years rather then purchase new ones.

Good point. Back in the day before iPads, iPods were for a younger gen (like me) however, now these days, smartphones rule the world and kids are getting them at a younger age. Around 5 years ago or so, a IPod would be more practical with the kids. However, iPads are more popular with them due to the screen size. Would you rather play a game on a 4 inch iPod or a 7.9 inch tablet (iPad Mini)?

Yes the 4 inch IPod could fit in your pocket but, even though the 7.9 inch is bigger and harder to carry, it is more plausible and a better experience than the smaller iPod for a little child learning the powers of the digital age.

One day hopefully, iPads will be able to fold up effectively and fit in our pockets then expand out when we need them again!:cool: Till then, the iPads are being used as the regular 1st iOS device. Eventually, kinds will graduate to a real iPhone that can fit in our pockets with little trouble!

Thus, one can argue the iPod is going extinct because of the iPad and iPhone.:confused:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

edit in bold: labor for apple isn't cheap, because the guys that work iOS aren't factory workers.

What is 5 years old? The iPod Touch 5 is not 5 years old. No A5 device is 5 years old, the iPad 2 just turned. The iPo Touch 5 is 2 and a half years old and still for sale. Alongside the iPad Mini 1. Apple clearly thinks that A5/512MB of ram is good enough for consumers in 2015. That also means they think that the iPad 2 and 4S are still good enough.

You're missing the point completely. iOS 9 is predicted to be a bug fix release, a release that improves performance. If its going to have lesser requirement than iOS 9, it will run better than iOS 8 on all hardware.

I use multiple A5 devices every single day. I use a 3GS, an iPod Touch 4, a 4S, an iPad 2, an iPad mini 2 and an iPhone 5 all regularly, the iPad 2 being my main device.

Apple would spend the money as iOS 8 is a mess. It needs to be optimised for lower end hardware if it wants a flying chance in hell of being any food on A7 and A8 devices, especially considering it decided to stick with 1 GB of ram for another year. Raising the requirement to 1 GB would be a terrible idea at the moment. What Apple needs is a very tight an efficient iOS, and targeting A5/512mb of ram would be a great way of ensuring that.

In additon to that, Apple except for one specific time gives all its devices at least 1 year of support after its discontinued, so they're still selling two A5 devices, so unless Apple completely rips off customers who are still buying the Mini 1 in bulk, then they will get support.

Not to mention that the iPad 2 is still the most used iPad, followed by the Mini 1. In fact around 60 percent of iPad users are on A5 iPads ( the iPad 2, iPad mini 1 and iPad 3). Considering people are treating their iPads like computers, it makes perfect sense for them to get longer support periods and also for Apple to try and maintain brand loyalty.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
What is 5 years old? The iPod Touch 5 is not 5 years old. No A5 device is 5 years old, the iPad 2 just turned. The iPo Touch 5 is 2 and a half years old and still for sale. Alongside the iPad Mini 1. Apple clearly thinks that A5/512MB of ram is good enough for consumers in 2015. That also means they think that the iPad 2 and 4S are still good enough.

You're missing the point completely. iOS 9 is predicted to be a bug fix release, a release that improves performance. If its going to have lesser requirement than iOS 9, it will run better than iOS 8 on all hardware.

I use multiple A5 devices every single day. I use a 3GS, an iPod Touch 4, a 4S, an iPad 2, an iPad mini 2 and an iPhone 5 all regularly, the iPad 2 being my main device.

Apple would spend the money as iOS 8 is a mess. It needs to be optimised for lower end hardware if it wants a flying chance in hell of being any food on A7 and A8 devices, especially considering it decided to stick with 1 GB of ram for another year. Raising the requirement to 1 GB would be a terrible idea at the moment. What Apple needs is a very tight an efficient iOS, and targeting A5/512mb of ram would be a great way of ensuring that.

In additon to that, Apple except for one specific time gives all its devices at least 1 year of support after its discontinued, so they're still selling two A5 devices, so unless Apple completely rips off customers who are still buying the Mini 1 in bulk, then they will get support.

Not to mention that the iPad 2 is still the most used iPad, followed by the Mini 1. In fact around 60 percent of iPad users are on A5 iPads ( the iPad 2, iPad mini 1 and iPad 3). Considering people are treating their iPads like computers, it makes perfect sense for them to get longer support periods and also for Apple to try and maintain brand loyalty.

They use the same internals, so it is 5 years old.

What is that 60% data based on? US? Western Europe? the World? you count in 3rd world countries and this data is out to content. iPad 2 is the most used because it was still sold last year, which almost makes it the longest lasting iOS device model apple has ever put on its shelf.

It was intended for a cheaper option to push consumers to get an iOS device rather then looking at other alternatives.

Who uses an iPad 2 in the Western World? Kids Don't even want an iPad 2. Hell they'll go for the more sluggish iPad 3 just because it gives retina display.

lol 1 GB is plenty of memory, that 512 is NOT.

Have you used Xcode? if you do you would know all these devices with A/5 internals crash at 200MB.

Im not , as well as other developers are going to make it compatible with old devices that are OBSOLETE.

thats a COMPLETE waste of time. Why optimize it for nearly unworkable devices that when i can spend my time applying new Components, features, and cool gestures, or getting my app ready for the iPad Pros 12 inch display?

This goes to the same as the developers for iOS. Apple isn't going to waste money down the drain for optimizing for obsolete devices.

Apple? Loyalty? its obvious apple does not care about the consumer, what cave are you living under?

17" Macbook pros say hello, they weren't even losing money, just not as much profit as they did with the smaller models. Soldering the ram, all of these leads to "buy the new model, forget the old"

and the fact is THEY MAKE NO MONEY SUPPORTING OLDER MODELS! only LOSE money for optimizing it because they need to put in LABOR

lol the requirement being 1 GB of ram? 1 GB of ram is quite enough for now, i have 2GB on my Air and i have no worries about it crashing from syncing high resolution images from a database to converting high resolution images to a PDF within my App.

these 512MB devices is hardly "for the consumer". I don't recommend the iPad Mini 1, or the iPod touch to anyone.

I don't know what you use on those devices, Their consumer target isn't old people that use basic functions of their devices.

anyways besides that fact these Devices are nearly unworkable in a work environment.

First of all, it lags. Loading screens its slow. People don't have the patience and this can be the difference from a successful demo and making a sale to a failure without.

its slow when viewing PDF files, its just slow. it can handle these functions with the current OS. Some companies have time, others don't, regardless is frustrating to work with these devices.

And the crashing, you have customers waiting for you to take orders either in a retail store or at a booth in the trade show.

Something, whether its calling the camera function and taking a picture, other functions i described above and it crashes.

You know how frustrating it is for the my customer and their customer? when it crashes? Thank god for Core Data or it'll be a mess.

Even for simple apps that i KNOW are optimized because they have the MONEY and MANPOWER to do so. Yelp, Facebook, safari, text messages ALL LAG and CRASH frequently.

Its quite frustrating, and i use the touch to save battery for my phone when it isn't so i use all aspects of the Device, not just for testing the app for work, not to mention i use that device to look at iOS programmers resumes and download their projects that they worked on. And its horrible.

YOUR iPad 2 might run without crashing THAT much or maybe it has a 5 second lag rather then a 10. (i don't even know why you mentioned a 5 or a Mini 2 considering they have 1GB of ram)

But i worked with Many iPad 2's, iPad Mini 1s, iPod 5th Gen, iPod 4th Gen, 3-4S, and i mean MANY. not just mine, not just the companies, but PLENTY of our customers.

and we just had to replace all of them, even simple functions like emailing took to long.

Lol apple doesn't think the 512/A5 chip works well with he current OS, they think that they can still SELL IT using the current OS.

Main consumer base doesn't buy these obsolete devices, apple does not care about the consumers buying these products. nonetheless any of their consumers.

They wouldn't of soldered in the ram on mac computers, they wouldn't of get rid of 17" macs that were still selling. etc etc.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
They use the same internals, so it is 5 years old.

What is that 60% data based on? US? Western Europe? the World? you count in 3rd world countries and this data is out to content. iPad 2 is the most used because it was still sold last year, which almost makes it the longest lasting iOS device model apple has ever put on its shelf.

It was intended for a cheaper option to push consumers to get an iOS device rather then looking at other alternatives.

Who uses an iPad 2 in the Western World? Kids Don't even want an iPad 2. Hell they'll go for the more sluggish iPad 3 just because it gives retina display.

lol 1 GB is plenty of memory, that 512 is NOT.

Have you used Xcode? if you do you would know all these devices with A/5 internals crash at 200MB.

Im not , as well as other developers are going to make it compatible with old devices that are OBSOLETE.

thats a COMPLETE waste of time. Why optimize it for nearly unworkable devices that when i can spend my time applying new Components, features, and cool gestures, or getting my app ready for the iPad Pros 12 inch display?

This goes to the same as the developers for iOS. Apple isn't going to waste money down the drain for optimizing for obsolete devices.

Apple? Loyalty? its obvious apple does not care about the consumer, what cave are you living under?

17" Macbook pros say hello, they weren't even losing money, just not as much profit as they did with the smaller models. Soldering the ram, all of these leads to "buy the new model, forget the old"

and the fact is THEY MAKE NO MONEY SUPPORTING OLDER MODELS! only LOSE money for optimizing it because they need to put in LABOR

lol the requirement being 1 GB of ram? 1 GB of ram is quite enough for now, i have 2GB on my Air and i have no worries about it crashing from syncing high resolution images from a database to converting high resolution images to a PDF within my App.

these 512MB devices is hardly "for the consumer". I don't recommend the iPad Mini 1, or the iPod touch to anyone.

I don't know what you use on those devices, Their consumer target isn't old people that use basic functions of their devices.

anyways besides that fact these Devices are nearly unworkable in a work environment.

First of all, it lags. Loading screens its slow. People don't have the patience and this can be the difference from a successful demo and making a sale to a failure without.

its slow when viewing PDF files, its just slow. it can handle these functions with the current OS. Some companies have time, others don't, regardless is frustrating to work with these devices.

And the crashing, you have customers waiting for you to take orders either in a retail store or at a booth in the trade show.

Something, whether its calling the camera function and taking a picture, other functions i described above and it crashes.

You know how frustrating it is for the my customer and their customer? when it crashes? Thank god for Core Data or it'll be a mess.

Even for simple apps that i KNOW are optimized because they have the MONEY and MANPOWER to do so. Yelp, Facebook, safari, text messages ALL LAG and CRASH frequently.

Its quite frustrating, and i use the touch to save battery for my phone when it isn't so i use all aspects of the Device, not just for testing the app for work, not to mention i use that device to look at iOS programmers resumes and download their projects that they worked on. And its horrible.

YOUR iPad 2 might run without crashing THAT much or maybe it has a 5 second lag rather then a 10. (i don't even know why you mentioned a 5 or a Mini 2 considering they have 1GB of ram)

But i worked with Many iPad 2's, iPad Mini 1s, iPod 5th Gen, iPod 4th Gen, 3-4S, and i mean MANY. not just mine, not just the companies, but PLENTY of our customers.

and we just had to replace all of them, even simple functions like emailing took to long.

Lol apple doesn't think the 512/A5 chip works well with he current OS, they think that they can still SELL IT using the current OS.

Main consumer base doesn't buy these obsolete devices, apple does not care about the consumers buying these products. nonetheless any of their consumers.

They wouldn't of soldered in the ram on mac computers, they wouldn't of get rid of 17" macs that were still selling. etc etc.

No they do not. The iPad 2 is not 5 years old.

Most people I know are on iPad 2s and iPad 3s. The data is worldwide and from app developers (so the people who are actually downloading apps) and firms that specialise in this sort of thing.

You're missing the point. Appel is still selling two models with 512MB of ram. It clearly thinks that is a reasonable amount of ram. Not sure what your Crash at 200MB thing is about. Yes I have used Xcode, and I have used it to observe the ram usage of my iPad 2. Sure things are tight at 500MB of ram, but iOS 8 also runs terribly on 1 GB of ram devices.

Good for you, you can ignore a large segment and not make your apps compatible with some of Apple's most used tablets. We're talking about consumers here not developers.

These devices are not obsolete. Apple sells one as their premium iPod and as an iPad. These devices can do almost everything the newer ones can, just a bit slower. You also ignore the fact that iOS 9 is meant to be a performance update release. They've sure as hell got enough time to get things running nicer for devices with 512MB of ram.

Not everything Apple does has to be about directly making money. I can tell you that people who buy an iPad Mini 1 or iPod Touch 5 are going to want a reasonable period of support. The iPad Mini 1 was also outselling the iPad Mini 2 and iPad Mini 3 (separately, not together) in January of this year, so people are still buying them. Those people wouldn't be overly likely to continue buying apple devices if they found they lost support in under a year.

Apple looses money when it annoys its consumers who are on lower end devices. It doesn't look great for a company that makes as much as Apple to be leaving brand new devices out in the dark, along with significant proportions of its user base.

The 17 inch MacBook has nothing to do with this, we're talking software not hardware.

1 GB should be enough but it isn't. iOS 8 reforms terribly on the iPad Air 1 and the iPad Mini 2 and 3. Why? because it uses too much ram in many cases. These devices also have a crazy amount of tab reloading. Why? Apple hasn't optimised iOS 8 for 1 GB of ram.

Optimise iOS 8 for 512 MB of ram, and it will run very well under 1GB of ram.

However lift the minimum ram to 1GB, which is the same as the current Max in the iPhone 6, then you get requirements creep. Developers will not need to optimise their coding as much as they will have 1 GB available, leading to apps that use more ram for no good reason.

I use my iPad 2 for image editing, word processing, presentations, image viewing, web viewing, gaming, note taking and a large variety of other Apps. It is a bit slower than the newer iPads but completely workable. That is the same response I get from the iPad 2 users I support through my job along with numerous iPad 2 users on Macrumours itself.

I've seen plenty of A5 devices at work in workplace environments, perfectly fine.

Obviously older iOS devices don't work well for you, so don't use them. Simple as that. Many people do still find them useful though.

I mentioned my other devices to let you know that I actually use a range of devices every day. I also give tech support to a wide range of people using a wide range of these devices, and from my own experience most crashing that occurs on the A5 devices also occurs on the newer ones, so its not like they're all specific to A5 devices. My iPad Mini 2 constantly crashes on a number of apps, actually more so than my iPad 2. Facebook never crashes on my iPad 2, but it is a little slow. However it is also slow on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini 2.

i've tested multiple generations of devices that run iOS 8 together and honestly the difference for most apps is not that signifiant. An extra half a second or second to do things does not make a device obsolete. Perhaps for people with no patience whatsoever, but the enduring usage of these older devices would tell me otherwise. People seem to cope fine with them, as they still do what people ask of them. Otherwise they would have upgraded.

Again there are large numbers of people buying the Mini 1 at this stage - In Quarter 4 of 2014, it outsold the iPad mini 2 and iPad mini 3, with strong sales continuing into 2015.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Nahh i don't think they are that naive.

Who are not that Naive?

They're definitely running iOS 9 on the 4S, and I would say also on the Mini 1 and Touch 5. The only real iOS 9 rumours are that it will be a release that improves performance (I assume through proper ram optimisation) and imperatives stability and security. That means they're perfectly capable of getting iOS 9 to run as well as or better than iOS 8 even on older devices.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Who are not that Naive?

They're definitely running iOS 9 on the 4S, and I would say also on the Mini 1 and Touch 5. The only real iOS 9 rumours are that it will be a release that improves performance (I assume through proper ram optimisation) and imperatives stability and security. That means they're perfectly capable of getting iOS 9 to run as well as or better than iOS 8 even on older devices.

Running an OS is not the end of the story, you know, the experience is pretty important, why do you want a device who runs the latest OS if it's slow, crashes and lags?

Each Apple toy has a life cicle they are not eternal. They should have already released an ipod touch 6 or stop selling the 5 and discontinue the line. But maybe any of those is gonna happen this fall...who knows.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Running an OS is not the end of the story, you know, the experience is pretty important, why do you want a device who runs the latest OS if it's slow, crashes and lags?

Each Apple toy has a life cicle they are not eternal. They should have already released an ipod touch 6 or stop selling the 5 and discontinue the line. But maybe any of those is gonna happen this fall...who knows.

Because iOS 8 runs slow on everything and iOS 9 is expected to fix it by optimising things. Even then iOS 8 performance isn't too bad on A5 devices. Slow, leggy and crash prone also describes my iPad mini 2 under iOS 8. Half the problem here is iOS 8, rather than the devices just being old.

And yes all devices have a life cycle, and for numerous reasons the A5 is still in that life cycle.

A slightly slower device is preferable to a device that can't run the latest apps, can't use iCloud, can't sync documents and is insecure.

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Because iOS 8 runs slow on everything and iOS 9 is expected to fix it by optimising things. Even then iOS 8 performance isn't too bad on A5 devices. Slow, leggy and crash prone also describes my iPad mini 2 under iOS 8. Half the problem here is iOS 8, rather than the devices just being old.

And yes all devices have a life cycle, and for numerous reasons the A5 is still in that life cycle.

A slightly slower device is preferable to a device that can't run the latest apps, can't use iCloud, can't sync documents and is insecure.

Whatever you want to believe mate, you are pretty much free to have faith in iOS9 resurrecting old gadgets.

* ipad mini 2 runs an A7 processor with 64 bits not an A5 with 32 bits there's no comparison. If you are having issues i'd restore it.

Galaxy S6 has 3 GB RAM and iphone 6s will have 2GB, if you are expecting the same performance on your ipod touch 5 only because it will run ios 9, what can i say?. Good luck.

TRDmanAE86

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2015
New England

I like the optimism. However, in today's world, power makes efficiency. It's pretty sad a 1 year old iPad Air Struggles on iOS 9. I have the Air and, am lucky it is still running 7.1.2. I have worked on iOS 8 airs and, even with advanced optimization, it lacks behind my iOS 7 counterpart. :(

There are rumors the iPhone 4S will be maxed out on iOS 8. The same goes for the iPod Touch 5th gen i Guess. I believe that when you compare a iPhone 5 and a iPod Touch 5G, isn't the iPhone always more powerful?

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
^ i agree 100%

any ways old mac,

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HARDWARE!!

we're talking about the 512 MB of ram limitation on A5 devices. Thats IT.

thats like saying windows 7/8/8.1 should be optimized for desktops that have only have 512-1gb of ram.

in the technology world that makes absolute no sense.

there is absolutely no money to continue to optimize for older devices. Microsoft isn't going to optimize newer version of SQL to work on older servers. etc etc.

Because all the hardware will be obsolete by the time they even release most of these optimizations.

and whats easier? just buy a new server lol.

What work are you in?

I do app development to multiple companies, A5 Devices are non workable in the work place.

YOUR device maybe in good condition or maybe not too many apps, but others are not.

So how are you going to explain to me why it takes 30 seconds to load a PDF on an iPad Mini 1? iPod 5? iPad 2 would just crash.

How are you going to explain to me its ok that when entering the passcode it freezes for 15 seconds after entering the first number?

if hell freezes over and do they have a some sort of small team optimizing it for these older devices and throwing away money. then I'm sure its a small team thats probably outsourced. They're not paying US/EU salary for a team doing something thats simply not important.

apples, or any business that sells a product, is concerned more with SALES. not supporting a 5 years old ( oh forgive me 4 year old product)

you do know the rate of which technology improves right? those 4 year old products are ancient, you can't even sell that to a 12 year old child.

you know how hard it is to optimize it for obsolete hardware? That team which is most likely going to be outsourced (as in not in the US or EU) has to be pretty damn good and smart to optimize it for old hardware. Not to mention HOW TEDIOUS it is.

the fact is if their that good at their job and can optimize and simplify the OS to work on those A5 devices,

chances are they're not going to be in a bottom barrel team thats optimizing for older devices.

again, theres no money. business is money.

don't get me wrong, iPad 1-2, Mini 1, Older iPhone + iPods, iPod 5th Gen. make good gifts for toddlers, kids and older people.

if they're 8+ they're not gonna want a damn iPad 2 or Mini1. They know it sucks. if they have nothing else of course they would have it rather then nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.