Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I can't wait for the next update, unfortunately it won't make me want to update until the hackers can break back into it so I can have my third party apps again... Can't wait til february

drusoicy

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
Alright guys - we are about to post the video walkthrough. :) This should put the "fake or real" thing to rest. Seriously.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Alright guys - we are about to post the video walkthrough. :) This should put the "fake or real" thing to rest. Seriously.

You know better than to believe that's true, right? ;) There's a good chunk of people here who would not change their mind for anything short of the update itself coming from iTunes on their own computer.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
It looks real to me. I don't see how anyone could fake the demo. Question from me is how long before we will see the firmware. Also why hasn't Gear Live received a C&D letter.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
its to the comment right before mine :rolleyes:

But that doesn't make any sense - the poster above you said he wanted the update, but he wanted his third party apps more. You said "but don't you want real third party apps?"

Unfortunately that's not an option that the OP has - either 1.1.3 with no "real third party apps" or 1.1.2 with his non-authorized third party apps. See?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Cleverboy, thanks for fighting my corner, lol.

And seeing as a Smartphone is the closest competitor to the iPhone, I chose that as a comparison.

Really? You wouldn't say Symbian ( 40%+ marketshare ) or RIM aren't the closet competitors?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Really? You wouldn't say Symbian ( 40%+ marketshare ) or RIM aren't the closet competitors?

I meant Windows Mobile Smartphone edition was the closest OS to iPhone out of the various Windows Mobile editions. Smartphone edition does not have copy/paste.

Maybe I'm wrong... I dunno... but it doesn't help to bring up random percentages for no reason. Did you catch the context of the original thing you were responding too? Unless you can say that all of the phones that make up this 40% have cut & paste, picking Windows Mobile Smartphone or Symbian doesn't really matter.

Most implementations of Symbian that I've seen aren't on any recognizable "UI" level, so "cut and paste" is usually specific to each application and NOT OS-wide like it is on Palm (or specifically, as people criticize Apple for not having). I have no doubt they'll put it in soon, and Apple won't leave me with mud on my face a year from now and no results. :)

~ CB

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
I can certainly verify that both Palm OS and Windows Mobile / Pocket PC have had Cut and Paste on the touch-screen versions for years and years.

Selecting text using the stylus wasn't always accurate however, especially if you were trying to select text starting or ending with thin letters.

An iPhone Cut/Copy/Paste implementation will have to use the cursor/magnifying glass thing for accuracy. The second-touch method in the linked demo video seemed sensible enough to me.

Anyone else here remember using word processors before mice? Yup, mark-start and mark-end functions to allow you to cut/copy/paste...

I can certainly verify that both Palm OS and Windows Mobile / Pocket PC have had Cut and Paste on the touch-screen versions for years and years.
I don't think anyone was contesting that. We were just noting that iPhone hasn't been out 6 months, so if it takes a bit of time to work in cut & paste, its not all that shocking... its only mildly dissappointing and maybe a bit annoying. ;)
Anyone else here remember using word processors before mice? Yup, mark-start and mark-end functions to allow you to cut/copy/paste...
Yup. My first word processor on my C128, hooked up to my OkiMate120 heat-transfer printer. Marked off spots, START/END. Invisible character modes. It was a horror show. Small mercies.
Where'd all the people go who were calling the pictures fake and photoshopped?????!?!? ;)
It's funny how that works. Honestly. I wish I bet someone money. :)

~ CB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.