Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Copy and Paste? I'm still trying to figure out a practical application for this in the current state of the iPhone, but I'm sure there must be one.

OK...

Scenario 1. I'm sitting at Glasgow airport. To my joy I discover it has Cloud WiFi coverage. Problem is, to activate access for the first time you have to remember your phone number - which I don't have down pat just yet. Being able to go into my contact details and do a copy'n'paste would have been very useful. As it was, I had to scramble around for a pen and paper, and enter the number twice (fluffed it the first time).

Scenario 2. From a freelance project I was working on, the editor had some questions about some of the text. I had to wait until I got home to answer that one because I could not...

1. Copy the paragraph in question out of their e-mail.

2. Paste it into a reply without including all the other junk that a back-and-forth e-mail exchange that has been running for a week tends to generate.

3. Offer two of three alternatives by pasting the same text multiple times and then make some alterations.

As it was, I did not want to laboriously type almost the same identical text three times (without making any mistakes).

Scenario 3. While doing a little light research (I was stuck in the airport so may as well do something useful) I wanted to search for some very specific text in google without throwing up a bunch of spurious results. Being able to copy'n'paste from the web page I was looking at and into the Google search would have been far better then having to do all that typing.

Scenario 4. Another question from the editor. Easy to answer by directing them to a specific web site. But I can't copy'n'paste the URL from the browser into the e-mail. Dhuuuuu....

The iPhone is good. But not copy and paste is a real weird omission. Just underlines that Apple rushed this baby (and the touch) out the door. Which is also why they didn't have the SDK ready to go from day one. No copy'n'paste smacks of developer-only-testing. You know the sort of thing. Developers write and test the software, but never get any feedback from the target users. The result? The software functions (more or less), but invariably is missing key capabilities. All because the developers never looked closely at what the users are actually going to be doing with the software.

Remember, a year ago AT&T had not even seen the iPhone - not until the announcement was made at Mac World (an event where no Macs were showcased, and what was shown was for the US market only).

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Primarily for driving instructions. You want to be able to go from where you are to where you want to be - annoying to have to enter both the start and the end of the route when the phone should know where you are.

I do find it sooo annoying that I have to enter my end of route on my current GPS. its such a pain in the ass! It should know where I am going! :rolleyes:

The find-me thing on googlemaps i think will be sufficient for most, since apple advertises the maps functionality for finding things (eg restaurants etc) in your nearby location. The 2-mile radius is perfect for that kind of functionality. Not so handy if you need directions to a discrete address though..

Im hoping with multi-sms that it just creates a new sms thread for each recipient, (or adds to existing thread), and then replies come back to individual conversations. Generally i use multi text to invite a large group of friends somewhere, or to wish happy christmas once a year.

Im from the UK (where apparently MMS is big), and its not that big in my circle of acquaintances. That age ranges from 50 to 15, and from technically adept people and not so technically adept people. None of them use MMS regularly, if at all.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I wouldn't equate missing features to a rushed product. The iPhone is the most honed and refined device I have had in years. Does what it does extremely well.

How long has Windows Mobile not had copy and paste for? Years and years and years. iPhone hasn't had it for 6 months and people would have you believe the world is ending.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Project said:
I wouldn't equate missing features to a rushed product. The iPhone is the most honed and refined device I have had in years. Does what it does extremely well.

How long has Windows Mobile not had copy and paste for? Years and years and years. iPhone hasn't had it for 6 months and people would have you believe the world is ending.

Im pretty sure windows mobile does have copy/paste. Or was that my old treo?

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK

Im petty sure windows mobile does have copy/paste
yes, it does
see this (bad) screenshot (i didnt take it :) )
Picture1.png

oh and check this out:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/08/09/fake-iphone-cut-and-paste-demo-loves-you/

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
While I know where I am, my iPhone doesn't. I live in San Diego and was looking for food in Santa Barbara while on a trip Friday. If I could have just hit a button to have the iPhone center in on my location it would have simplified the process of finding a restaurant.

It also prevents me from having to enter a current location for "directions from."

I don't need a specific location just a ballpark for most uses.

I'm anticipating this update.

Ok now I get it. I see how this can be useful.

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Generally, when you have a data plan, instant messaging counts towards the data plan because you're sending messages through the IM server.

The sidekick works this way, it sends real IM's, not text messages to the screen name.

This is obviously not exactly how it works, but I think it's a more simplistic way to describe it.

So basically this is this a case of AT&T milking its costumers. Could AT&T's greed be a reason why Apple didn't release an IM client for the iPhone.

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
Scenario 4. Another question from the editor. Easy to answer by directing them to a specific web site. But I can't copy'n'paste the URL from the

I know the answer to this one, navigate to the page you need to send, click on the address bar, and you should see 'share' in the top left, click on this and it will automatically put it in an email for you.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)
Im pretty sure windows mobile does have copy/paste. Or was that my old treo?
I believe the implication was that they did NOT have it for a long time. Hey, I know... let's Google it, see what we find. Being that most people here aren't Windows Mobile users, there's a distinct lack of "knowledge" around this issue. Here we go. A comment from May 4th, 2006 from MikeCal.
maurits, unfortunately, there's no concept of cut and paste on smartphones. We don't have a natural way to select what to cut. The desktop has the concept of moving the cursor, then doing shift arrow, but smartphones don't use that. As we're starting to see smartphones with full keyboards, this is starting to make more sense, but there's nothing there in WM5.
Ah, here's something by JuniperResearch - Michael Gartenberg | January 25, 2007:
It's annoying but one thing you can't do with a Windows Mobile Smartphone is cut, copy and paste when editing text. It's a legacy thing from the days when Smartphone as a platform wasn't designed for QWERTY keyboards. Fortunately, there's a utility called Scissors Mobile that seems to do the trick. If you have a Q, Dash or Blackjack, this is for you. I personally haven't tried it (i haven't run into the need for it in my personal use) but if you've tried it, let me know how it works.
So... given this information seems current, what does philgilder's screenshot really mean, and does this have to do with the fact that Windows Mobile has different editions? ---Aaaaah, yes! It's exactly as noted. This is a screenshot of scissors Mobile, a Windows Mobile app that adds these functions, where they are otherwise absent. Animated screenshots are on their website:

index.php

Another article on BostonPocketPC says much the same:
If you have a Windows Mobile Smartphone, one of the glaring aspects missing from it is the ability to cut and paste. Well you have to suffer no more there is a cool new third party program out there that allows you to perform these actions and more with just one hand called Scissors Mobile. The Edit Menu works with Outlook Mobile, Contacts, SMS, Tasks, and their own version of Notepad Mobile.
It costs $14.99. On the purchase page however, we hit the note about Windows Mobile terminology again. The product description says: Scissors Mobile 2007 (Cut, Copy and Paste in Outlook Mobile without a touch-screen) . Which means I'm unclear if cut/paste exists in NON-touchscreen versions, or whether this software will only work with "touchscreen" versions of the software, as Windows Mobile branches are annoyingly named to confuse people.

So.... philgilder & JS23 were absolutely WRONG to contradict Project. Project ONLY stated that "Windows Mobile did not have cut & paste for YEARS and YEARS". I'm curious if Windows Mobile 6 has it yet. That's been out.

~ CB

Another one...
August 17th review of Windows Mobile on the Samsung i600.
A crazy omission in Windows Mobile for Smartphone is cut, copy and paste. I couldn’t believe this at first, on a device with a keyboard, but it is true. I believe there are third-party solutions. I’ve also installed the trial of Documents To Go, which does support the clipboard, though this won’t fix Mobile Outlook.
I buy windows mobiles lack of cut copy & paste. Sad thing is Palm OS has always had cut copy & paste. Then again some things are quite easy to do when you have a stylus. :D
Yeah. :) Microsoft weirds me out that they split their OS into different classifications with different important featues. --But, Palm is also irritarting because for a while, they seemed to be leaning toward Windows Mobile instead of their own OS (which I'm not sure if that's still changing hands or anything). It's unsettling for me.

~ CB

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
windows mobile smartphones may have not had copy and paste
but the pda version of windows mobile sure did
it was running wm5. so maybe the smartphone version of windows mobile didnt have it for ages, but the pda version did

ok so the post above me has basically said what i was saying...

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I guess your phone has never gone to under 20% of battery life :)

Oh, duh! :) I actually don't have an iPhone, but my Touch does the same thing. But it's only happened to me twice; now that you've jogged my memory I remember.

That video is impressive. I'm a believer. I'm not quite sure what to make of the jiggly icons, though. It looks like a preschooler's video game.

windows mobile smartphones may have not had copy and paste
but the pda version of windows mobile sure did
it was running wm5. so maybe the smartphone version of windows mobile didnt have it for ages, but the pda version did
ok so the post above me has basically said what i was saying...
Yeah, you're still wrong to contradict Project though. Windows Mobile for Pocket PC apparently DOES have it... if your phone uses that or Windows CE, then you're fine... if not, then you just don't have it... and it hasn't been there for YEARS (despite the griping). One of the quotes above says that its "legacy", and I can buy that too.

The original point is that the iPhone not having cut & paste is not really out of step, however unappreciated. I mean, if people are taking the time to write custom applications with the SOLE purpose of adding it to the system... its kind of bad. Hopefully Apple will get on it. I'd posted my own suggestions earlier on, as I also agree with the notion that they're trying to find the BEST WAY to implement it, and not simply slap it in.

iphone_selection.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/3932833/

Then MacRumors did a thread:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/335012/
Then that video got posted:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/339363/

I think people respect that a large part of a successful implementation will be the technique and how simple it is to use in everyday activities.

~ CB

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
I believe the implication was that they did NOT have it for a long time. Hey, I know... let's Google it, see what we find. Being that most people here aren't Windows Mobile users, there's a distinct lack of "knowledge" around this issue. Here we go. A comment from May 4th, 2006 from MikeCal.
Ah, here's something by JuniperResearch - Michael Gartenberg | January 25, 2007:
So... given this information seems current, what does philgilder's screenshot really mean, and does this have to do with the fact that Windows Mobile has different editions? ---Aaaaah, yes! It's exactly as noted. This is a screenshot of scissors Mobile, a Windows Mobile app that adds these functions, where they are otherwise absent. Animated screenshots are on their website:

index.php

Another article on BostonPocketPC says much the same:

It costs $14.99. On the purchase page however, we hit the note about Windows Mobile terminology again. The product description says: Scissors Mobile 2007 (Cut, Copy and Paste in Outlook Mobile without a touch-screen) . Which means I'm unclear if cut/paste exists in NON-touchscreen versions, or whether this software will only work with "touchscreen" versions of the software, as Windows Mobile branches are annoyingly named to confuse people.

So.... philgilder & JS23 were absolutely WRONG to contradict Project. Project ONLY stated that "Windows Mobile did not have cut & paste for YEARS and YEARS". I'm curious if Windows Mobile 6 has it yet. That's been out.

~ CB

Palm OS has had copy & paste for years. The real point is that if Apple spent years refining mobile OS X then why couldn't they put one of the most basic operating system functions in it, especially as you can select text in the system? So they should follow the WM5 model then and wait "years and years" when they don't have to? That's like saying that it's ok that the Wii hasn't come with a DVD player because the SNES never had one :rolleyes:

mrowl

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Texas, USA
this video is still kinda hard to believe. Why wouldn't they use a video of a more prominent feature, like locate me?

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Cleverboy, thanks for fighting my corner, lol.

You are right in that there was a feature disparity between PocketPC and Smartphone editions of Windows Mobile. And seeing as a Smartphone is the closest competitor to the iPhone, I chose that as a comparison.

The funny thing about the SKU's is that they got worse with Windows Mobile 6. You now have Windows Mobile Classic, Standard and Professional.

I think the best way for Apple to implement it would be to simply have a Text select button on the keyboard. You then magnify to where you want to insert the cursor, and then just move your finger to the end point, and it automatically highlights the text. The keyboard also changes context and adds Copy/Cut/Paste/Delete/SelectAll keys for you to use accordingly.

Otaviano

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2007
So much for all the Photoshop and photography experts that were saying it's fake.

Palm OS has had copy & paste for years.
I was only speaking to someone saying that the comment that Windows Mobile didn't have copy and paste was an error. It wasn't an error, but it sure sounds unbelievable (even to the people using it).
The real point is that if Apple spent years refining mobile OS X then why couldn't they put one of the most basic operating system functions in it, especially as you can select text in the system? So they should follow the WM5 model then and wait "years and years" when they don't have to?
LOL. Don't put words into people's mouths. I'm with you... scroll up to my suggestion to Apple on how to get it in. I created a whole thread about it, right? I've probably thought about it as a PROBLEM more than you have.
That's like saying that it's ok that the Wii hasn't come with a DVD player because the SNES never had one :rolleyes:
We shouldn't get into inventing straw men.

~ CB

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
I'm getting an iPhone when:
Apple provides OTA sync with .Mac (contacts, calendars, & notes)
Apple provides a way to edit Word and Excel documents (needed for work - use it every single day)

Right now I'm on a family of an employee plan with Sprint - $15 a month with everything but I'm willing to pay out the nose for an iPhone even on a sub-par network like AT&T because WM and Palm "Smart" phones suck so horribly bad. I can't believe that in 2008 you need a god-damned stylus to get to most functions on a smart phone.

att may not be perfect , but I have had Sprint and it blows Sprint away.

IMHO :apple:

sellitman

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
CT
Reading all of these responses makes me look at things very closely regarding Apple. Here are some things that are very evident:

[1] the updates presented in 1.1.3 are simple updates that should NOT have taken this long.

[2] The 3G version of the iPhone is coming out in 2008

[3] Tons of Basic features like MMS, Note syncing and BASIC Apps like a To Do List and iChat are missing.

[4] Companies always think of life span growth of their product which means when they are in the meeting rooms drafting a new product, they always consider how far and how many features they can possibly bring to the table over a span of 10 years. Once they determine this, they plot a "SPOON FEEDING" course of (a) releasing small amounts of feature updates during the shelf life of the CURRENT VERSIONS of their product on the market and (b) and more significant updates with the release of NEW GENERATIONS of their product.

With all of that being said, Apple has definitely plotted a course for it's product. They have in mind tons of features and abilities they plan to unveil over time but here's how they plan to do it; Through Current Version Updates, and through Next Generation Upgrading.

Let's start with iPhone Gen 1. iPhone Gen 1 will have x amount of features and during it's shelf life, they will seed us with MINOR UPDATES to it's functionality. This is called current version updating where you seed small functionality updates only and nothing drastically different.

For iPhone Gen 2, Apple will introduce a FEW NEW FEATURES along with a FEW NEW APPS. This is called Generation upgrading. During this phase , the consumer will see a significant increase in functionality, features and applications and possibly a double release of a Casual iPhone (much like what we have now) and a Power User Version (with all of the functionality necessary to place it in the category of PDA because of the features presented).

This is approach is mandatory to ensure the consumer will have a JUSTIFIABLE REASON to purchase the next generation iPhone besides it's just being 3G. For this reason, they will not flood this version of the iPhone with tons of features, rather MORSELS.

They have accomplished their main goal that's to WET OUR APPETITES on the possibilities based on what Apple is capable of doing with the iPhone. They hype engine has been perfectly executed and they have the necessary excitement generated over this product so why would they waist that "HYPE" on introducing tons of new features for a Gen 1 release of the iPhone, when they can duplicate (if not triple) what they sold at launch of the Gen 1 iPhone? This hype, as always, will carry them into HUGE sales for the iPhone Gen 2 when they release it with all or damn near all of the features we've begged for including 3G abilities. That's just good 'ol product campaigning.

So everyone just sit back, don't expect much, and wait for iPhone Gen 2 to be released with a huge Keynote address to the media, and Jobs saying "remember how with the 1st Gen iPhone you could yada yada yada...? Well, now you can (sliding his had across the iPhone 2's surface) YADA YADA YADA as well (ROARS OF APPLAUSES FROM THE CROWD).... yes the iphone 2 will be able to YADA YADA YADA.... all while YADA YADA YADA'ING with your Mac Pro or Mac Book pro!"

it's sales and marketing folks, and you can't sale a product that has maxed out it's ability- that's why you spoon feed your consumers morsels of feature updates at a time so that you can ensure you can sale future generations/versions of your product. In the mean time I highly recommend anyone who's longing for big updates to Jailbreak your iPhone, get the features you are begging for and avoid any frustrations, or JUST WAIT FOR THE iPhone 2nd generation.

Or they could sell a upgrade. Much like they do with iWork every year. I would pay $$ to upgrade my current iPhone so it can behave like a PDA.

See? I've got 1.1.3. Wow, look at me! Isn't that so convincing?

Like I said, anyone could do this and they wouldn't even have to mess with it in Photoshop. I used Photoshop only to block out the serial number.

EDIT: I just made up the build number because I don't know what they're currently using for the 1.1.3 build number so whatever.
That is freaking hilarious.

~ CB

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
i honestly dont think the iPhone was rushed, because as someone said, its pretty functional and "complete" meaning everything that is currently on there works with no problems. i do think that apple has had many of the future features, possibly ones we do not know about, developed and they are just waiting to release them. i think they are strategically releasing these updates. i find it all too odd that custom ring tone integration was possible with the extension rename, but apple killed it only to bring it back with a garage band update

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Scenario 4. Another question from the editor. Easy to answer by directing them to a specific web site. But I can't copy'n'paste the URL from the browser into the e-mail. Dhuuuuu....

I agree with you on most parts but, you're missing one of the features that the iPhone has that ALLOWS you to do this very easily. Here's how:

While viewing the web page in your Mobile Safari, tap the address bar and then when the keyboard comes up, tap "Share" in the upper left corner of the screen. A new email will then pop up and you can add your recipient and click send. Also, you're welcome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.