Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I agree with you on most parts but, you're missing one of the features that the iPhone has that ALLOWS you to do this very easily. Here's how: While viewing the web page in your Mobile Safari, tap the address bar and then when the keyboard comes up, tap "Share" in the upper left corner of the screen. A new email will then pop up and you can add your recipient and click send. Also, you're welcome.
That was definitely one of their compromises in implementing it. I think they're really working hard to balance it all.
i honestly dont think the iPhone was rushed, because as someone said, its pretty functional and "complete" meaning everything that is currently on there works with no problems. i do think that apple has had many of the future features, possibly ones we do not know about, developed and they are just waiting to release them. i think they are strategically releasing these updates. i find it all too odd that custom ring tone integration was possible with the extension rename, but apple killed it only to bring it back with a garage band update
True, but they also added a "Custom Ringtone" area on the ringtone panel, right? I think some features were "possible", but we're fully QA'd yet. For instance, there was a LOT of crap the phone simply "accepted" without complaint early on. I was thinking that some of it could have actually been detrimental to the phone's functioning (like extremely looooooooooong ringtones). they need to test this stuff thoroughly before giving the green light for people to jump all over it. I also think its partly strategic too, but that they have multiple concerns. For instance, Erica Sadun said that the development environment showed lots of great "hooks" for development. It's also been pointed out that its had lots of security issues/exploits too.

SDKs require a more robust environment. If "Installer.app" became the defacto standard for all time, and Apple didn't have any "security certificate" system in place... imagine if a community-source-added provider had his/her server hacked, and people started downloading massively devastating VIRUSES with no checks and balances. Running as root it would be a CRUSHING blow for Apple and lawsuits would fly all over the place.

It's not as simple to say "YES" as people think. It's often more responsible to say "NOT YET". I have NO trouble believing that without good QA, it would be impossible to know if a ringtone could be constructed that caused an arbitrary code execution error, and managed to install a virus on an iPhone. Apple has to manage that possibility.

~ CB

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
I think they could implement individual deletion, saving and forwarding of SMS messages in the same way that video depicts moving apps in the home menu.

EG: - You could press and hold the individual text and it'd bring up a menu that says, Save, Delete, Forward, Cancel????

Macsterling

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2007
Dallas
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

it seems no matter what apple does people will always complain and whine. If everyone is so unhappy with this phone then you dont have to keep it. Everyone complains about no new apps. Has everyone forgotten that we will soon be able to have native apps on our phones soon without hacking. Apple has created the most talked about gadget of 07 and the must have but people still want to whine about the dumbest stuff. I mean really whiners, cry me a freakin river already. I think this update is good and adds more value to the phone and it will only get better. Most of you think that they can just add all these apps and features in one update. Unless you know how to make or write programs for this phone without hacking it then you need to quit crying so much and come out with your own phone.

thirdeyeopen666

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
wow, it sure is hard to dial by pressing a keypad...

Voice dialing is a standard feature on 95% of phones. With all of the new hands free laws going into effect, I'd say voice dialing is *the* most important missing feature on the iPhone... but hey, go ahead and feel free to be snarky.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

it seems no matter what apple does people will always complain and whine. If everyone is so unhappy with this phone then you dont have to keep it. Everyone complains about no new apps. Has everyone forgotten that we will soon be able to have native apps on our phones soon without hacking. Apple has created the most talked about gadget of 07 and the must have but people still want to whine about the dumbest stuff. I mean really whiners, cry me a freakin river already. I think this update is good and adds more value to the phone and it will only get better. Most of you think that they can just add all these apps and features in one update. Unless you know how to make or write programs for this phone without hacking it then you need to quit crying so much and come out with your own phone.

whining or a bunch of people with a common interest discussing matters?

instead of telling people to come up with their own phone, why don't you start a forum called "everything's great and couldn't be any better" and see how popular that is.

slinky0390

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
Yeh... Its not like Apple had to pull people off other projects just to get something out the door on time.

Ohhh..

Wait...

Pulling people off of other projects doesnt indicate a rushed product, it shows they needed more resources to produce a product.. If the iPhone came out and half the features didn't work, I'd say that it was rushed. As basic funcionality goes, I feel the iPhone is pretty complete.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
I agree with you on most parts but, you're missing one of the features that the iPhone has that ALLOWS you to do this very easily. Here's how:

While viewing the web page in your Mobile Safari, tap the address bar and then when the keyboard comes up, tap "Share" in the upper left corner of the screen. A new email will then pop up and you can add your recipient and click send. Also, you're welcome.

But that does not do what is needed. It creates a new e-mail message - it does not allows me to add a URL to a reply to an existing one.

Cut'n'paste is a no brainer feature. I don't care what other devices have or don't have. Apple is usually good at putting together interfaces (that is why the other phone manufacturers are scared senseless by the iPhone), but not having it on the iPhone is a curious omission.

Kind of think Apple needs to go with the Evil Overlord list...

http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html

One of my advisors will be an average five-year-old child. Any flaws in my plan that he is able to spot will be corrected before implementation.

Give an iPhone to a five year old and they will take about five minutes to tell you cut'n'paste is missing :D

drusoicy

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2007
maybe andru edwards got that cease and desist letter. i would expect a lot more action at that link he posted by now.

http://www.gearlive.com/forums/viewthread/16402/

Nope - no cease and desist. But I do have a wife and a three year old that I like to spend my weekends with, as opposed to answering iPhone questions all weekend :p I work Mon-Fri....and in my spare time today, am putting together that 1.1.3 feature walkthrough video.

In the meantime, continue submitting your questions to that link.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Cleverboy said:
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)
Im pretty sure windows mobile does have copy/paste. Or was that my old treo?
I believe the implication was that they did NOT have it for a long time. Hey, I know... let's Google it, see what we find. Being that most people here aren't Windows Mobile users, there's a distinct lack of "knowledge" around this issue. Here we go. A comment from May 4th, 2006 from MikeCal.
maurits, unfortunately, there's no concept of cut and paste on smartphones. We don't have a natural way to select what to cut. The desktop has the concept of moving the cursor, then doing shift arrow, but smartphones don't use that. As we're starting to see smartphones with full keyboards, this is starting to make more sense, but there's nothing there in WM5.
Ah, here's something by JuniperResearch - Michael Gartenberg | January 25, 2007:
It's annoying but one thing you can't do with a Windows Mobile Smartphone is cut, copy and paste when editing text. It's a legacy thing from the days when Smartphone as a platform wasn't designed for QWERTY keyboards. Fortunately, there's a utility called Scissors Mobile that seems to do the trick. If you have a Q, Dash or Blackjack, this is for you. I personally haven't tried it (i haven't run into the need for it in my personal use) but if you've tried it, let me know how it works.
So... given this information seems current, what does philgilder's screenshot really mean, and does this have to do with the fact that Windows Mobile has different editions? ---Aaaaah, yes! It's exactly as noted. This is a screenshot of scissors Mobile, a Windows Mobile app that adds these functions, where they are otherwise absent. Animated screenshots are on their website:

index.php

Another article on BostonPocketPC says much the same:
If you have a Windows Mobile Smartphone, one of the glaring aspects missing from it is the ability to cut and paste. Well you have to suffer no more there is a cool new third party program out there that allows you to perform these actions and more with just one hand called Scissors Mobile. The Edit Menu works with Outlook Mobile, Contacts, SMS, Tasks, and their own version of Notepad Mobile.
It costs $14.99. On the purchase page however, we hit the note about Windows Mobile terminology again. The product description says: Scissors Mobile 2007 (Cut, Copy and Paste in Outlook Mobile without a touch-screen) . Which means I'm unclear if cut/paste exists in NON-touchscreen versions, or whether this software will only work with "touchscreen" versions of the software, as Windows Mobile branches are annoyingly named to confuse people.

So.... philgilder & JS23 were absolutely WRONG to contradict Project. Project ONLY stated that "Windows Mobile did not have cut & paste for YEARS and YEARS". I'm curious if Windows Mobile 6 has it yet. That's been out.

~ CB

first of all I read his comment and interpreted it one way and you interpreted it another way. Neither one of us is wrong for that. Secondly I was not contradicting his statement. All I said was I was "pretty sure" that WM phones had copy and paste. So I think that you are WRONG(as you said) for trying to jump on me for a simple comment. Don't get me wrong I'm not even offended I just thought I would clear things up for you.

kb152

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Nope - no cease and desist. But I do have a wife and a three year old that I like to spend my weekends with, as opposed to answering iPhone questions all weekend :p I work Mon-Fri....and in my spare time today, am putting together that 1.1.3 feature walkthrough video.

In the meantime, continue submitting your questions to that link.

lol. understandable. i also forgot you're three time zones behind new york. will look forward to the video.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
I would love to get notes to sync with my Mac, pretty simple concept that should of been inlcuded in any of the updates so far but you have to understand they are doing this for a reason. I'm sure there is not 1 phone out there that does everything that everyone wants, but if there is I bet it sucks.

Let them take there time to add things in. I hope you didn't buy your phone expecting updates to add features because that would be stupid.

Be happy with what you have and enjoy talking about future updates and models without having a heart attack. It's not Apple's job to listen to you, go buy something else if you think your cheated.

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
I was only speaking to someone saying that the comment that Windows Mobile didn't have copy and paste was an error. It wasn't an error, but it sure sounds unbelievable (even to the people using it).
LOL. Don't put words into people's mouths. I'm with you... scroll up to my suggestion to Apple on how to get it in. I created a whole thread about it, right? I've probably thought about it as a PROBLEM more than you have.
We shouldn't get into inventing straw men.

~ CB

fair enough. btw straw men are so in! :D

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
whining or a bunch of people with a common interest discussing matters?

instead of telling people to come up with their own phone, why don't you start a forum called "everything's great and couldn't be any better" and see how popular that is.

Sounds good to me!

I'm tired of the bitching whiners as well. Go get a WM6 device so you can be happy already!

first of all I read his comment and interpreted it one way and you interpreted it another way. Neither one of us is wrong for that. Secondly I was not contradicting his statement. All I said was I was "pretty sure" that WM phones had copy and paste. So I think that you are WRONG(as you said) for trying to jump on me for a simple comment. Don't get me wrong I'm not even offended I just thought I would clear things up for you.
Actually, you misinterpreted his statement to include the word "all" somehow, and I didn't (and quoted numerous others making the same statement in the same context). So... it's not evil or anything to misread or misunderstanding something. No harm no foul.

Unless you're saying your comments were a non-sequitur (that had little connection to what you were replying to), then you were intentionally denying what he was saying. It's mostly trivia to say that some versions do and some versions don't. We definitely talking about smart phones and not PDAs (just look at the thread title).

Again... No biggie, though.

~ CB

ciscored

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
could very well be fake
the phone is definetly hacked (you can tell by seeing his name Nate next to te signl bars)
I think its very possible these are 3rd party features he installed that work just well ebough to visually show the "presence" of these features well enought to pull off a hox.
I will be very happy if I'm wrong:)

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
could very well be fake
the phone is definetly hacked (you can tell by seeing his name Nate next to te signl bars)
I think its very possible these are 3rd party features he installed that work just well ebough to visually show the "presence" of these features well enought to pull off a hox.
I will be very happy if I'm wrong:)
the whole nate thing has been sorted out. thats possible to have that without jailbreaking iphone, as long as it was done on a previous iphone
wat about the custom free ringtone making??
will that be gone ?
cuz if it is forget it i aint updating for some stupid icon moving
i like mine the way they are right now
thats a new feature of garageband on macs, nothing to do with iphone firmware

on engadget, nate has apparently said you cant downgrade the firmware after going to 1.1.3!!!!!

on engadget, nate has apparently said you cant downgrade the firmware after going to 1.1.3!!!!!
Niiiice. :D Apple's finally closing the holes so we can move on from this weird-ass phase where threads get started about new features in an update, and random people spontaneously declare how they're proud to still have a version of the initial iPhone firmware that's tragically insecure. I mean... if we're talking about new features in an upcoming iPhone update... WHO CARES that someone is at 1.02 and "happy". I mean... whoop-dee-doo, right? :) :: Shrug :: Here's to the day that everyone upgrading their iPhone does it purely because they've heard that the update works well and adds nice features.

~ CB

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I guess Apple is really beefing up security ahead of SDK release. Apparently legit users who upgrade to 1.1.3 can't downgrade their firmware. If you do, you brick the phone whilst unlockers can't even upgrade to 1.1.3 since they don't have Apple's private encryption key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.