Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0, addressing recent complaints of screen flickering on the company's newest iMac models.
About 27-inch iMac Graphics Firmware Update 1.0
Updates the graphics firmware on ATI Radeon HD 4670 and 4850 graphics cards to address issues that may cause image corruption or display flickering.
Installation instructions for the firmware update, which weighs in at 683 KB and requires Mac OS X 10.6.2, are available in the associated support document for the release.

Apple's new 27-inch iMac models have been plagued with reports of issues since their launch beginning in late October. Early reports of Flash performance issues were fixed with the release of Mac OS X 10.6.2, but more recent reports have revealed machines being delivered in a non-functional state or with cracked screens.

Article Link: Apple Releases Firmware Update to Address Screen Flickering on 27-Inch iMacs

dfunct

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
I first noticed the flickering this morning when I woke, a quick reboot later and it seems to have disappeared…

That said this update is welcome, if only it could also remove the speck of dust under the glass...

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Can't wait to try this.

I first noticed the flickering this morning when I woke, a quick reboot later and it seems to have disappeared…

That said this update is welcome, if only it could also remove the speck of dust under the glass...

So take the glass off and use some canned air!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
This is the best news I've heard all day. I'm so glad I didn't return my new i7 iMac.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Can't wait to try this.

So take the glass off and use some canned air!

This will usually result in more dust under there when you put it back, unless you do it in a closed environnement that is completely dustless, such as a government secret research laboratory under the Nevada desert.

I very much doubt anyone has access to those except few key government employees.

jedijoe

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Boulder, CO
now fix the flickering + snow/noise + screen scrambling with your 30-inch display via the $99 mini-displayport to dual-link dvi adapter!

brianadkins

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
What if computer no longer as OSX installed ?

Here's an interesting question...

I have a buddy that bought a 27" imac and wiped it clean and installed Windows 7 on it. I'm guessing that firmware updates will only come through for OSX users...

So... what is the best solution? Maybe set up an external USB drive with OSX installed on it and just boot to that drive occasionally to get the firmware updates?

-Brian

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Since we're chatting about the issue again: Had anyone else had sound issues on the 27" imac? If nothing else is playing, the speakers can emit a low electronics like noise. If you put headphones on, you can hear the frequency of the sound change a bit when you (say) scroll in a browser window. Maybe graphics card interference?

Just curious if anyone else has 'heard' this, and if it will go away when I update firmware tonight....

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This will usually result in more dust under there when you put it back, unless you do it in a closed environnement that is completely dustless, such as a government secret research laboratory under the Nevada desert.

I very much doubt anyone has access to those except few key government employees.
Well, considering that the Genius Rooms in Apple Stores (where they do iMac glass removals daily) aren't closed, completely dustless environments, I think the average person has a decent chance of being able to do it well themselves. :eek::D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Here's an interesting question...

I have a buddy that bought a 27" imac and wiped it clean and installed Windows 7 on it :eek:. I'm guessing that firmware updates will only come through for OSX users...

So... what is the best solution? Maybe set up an external USB drive with OSX installed on it and just boot to that drive occasionally to get the firmware updates?

-Brian
A USB hard drive will work just fine for the occasional hop back to OS X.

dfunct

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008
Well, considering that the Genius Rooms in Apple Stores (where they do iMac glass removals daily) aren't closed, completely dustless environments, I think the average person has a decent chance of being able to do it well themselves. :eek::D

Ok so how the chuff does one remove the glass to do this?

dmackerman

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Virginia
I downloaded and applied this update even though I didn't have any issues with flickering or blackouts.

I wonder exactly what it changed...would be interesting to know.

maccauni

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
i can unfortunately confirm this update does not fix the less common blank screen on wake-up issue. finally time to return my 27" C2D : [

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
So..... has anyone had any results yet? I'm curious as to how thy fixed it. Maybe lowing the memory / gpu speed? I doubt it was a "bug" in the firmware / Driver as not all are affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.