Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
this is alot of work so many of you have to go through in order to deal.

Many of us are wishing for that "mythical Midrange power Mac"

if only apple would sell a nicely powered mid range tower with upgradability and you can bring your own display or buy an apple one.

many of us who love Matte finish would sadly be forced to buy a different brand.

Hey, that's a great suggestion for a new type of Mac, I don't think anyone's thought of that yet. You're the first. :rolleyes:

willdenow

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2002
Be Cautious

I had to return my 27 inch Corei5 because of the yellow tinge, faulty hard drive and an unresponsive power button. I exchanged for a new machine which is perfect in every respect. I did have a chance to talk with the technician about the 27 inch woes and he told me an interesting story regarding the glass frontspiece on the monitor. It is correct that they use two suction cups applied to opposite ends of the screen to remove the monitor screen. However, he has broken four panes just by attempting to remove the glass. They tend to break at the lower left and upper right corners. If you do it yourself, it would probably be a good idea to let the Apple techs service this beast. If you break it, it almost certainly won't be repaired for free. If you decide to proceed anyway, it would probably be good to avoid the corners!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Here's an interesting question...

I have a buddy that bought a 27" imac and wiped it clean and installed Windows 7 on it. I'm guessing that firmware updates will only come through for OSX users...

So... what is the best solution? Maybe set up an external USB drive with OSX installed on it and just boot to that drive occasionally to get the firmware updates?

-Brian

LMAO

Thats like someone putting diesel in a petrol car.
Like buying a Ferrari and swapping the engine out for a 1.2 Fiat engine

You get my drift..

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
How long has the yellow tinge issue been going on with the screens on iMacs? 2-3 years?
I believe more like 2-3 months.

The Yellow Tinge issue is a physical defect in the screen, and CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH A FIRMWARE UPDATE.

I think it's been longer than that.
Seems to me this has been going on since the aluminium iMacs came out.

No need to shout. We're paying attention.:D
Sometimes it was a video card issue.
If I remember correctly, some people fixed their yellowing screens by adjusting the color temps on their iMirrors.

Achooley it goes back to 2006 - '07 and even predates the aluminum iMacs.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/42194-imac-g3-screen-flickers-yellow.html
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1073643&tstart=0

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
No discernable difference, but then there wasn't a problem. I'm hoping this heads off any potential problems.

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
I first noticed the flickering this morning when I woke, a quick reboot later and it seems to have disappeared…

That said this update is welcome, if only it could also remove the speck of dust under the glass...

A couple of suction cups and the glass comes right off. Only magnets holding it on.

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
Maybe he doesn't want to void his warranty. :rolleyes:

URRRRRR taking your IMAC apart does not void the warranty. I have taken many apart and diagnosed the problem with them as something that would be easier for warranty service... and brought them right in and had them fixed. Where does it say that removing the cosmetic screen cover voids the warranty?

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Where was this announced? I must have missed it.

I have NEVER EVER heard of a color temperature gradient in a display being caused by a software problem or a firmware problem. Furthermore, were this the case, it'd also show up on external displays when hooked up to the iMac. ...which it does not. ...and it would NOT show up on the iMac when hooked up AS a display to another computer. ...which it does.

Announcements be damned, I have logic.

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
About the yellowing

I think the yellow tinge problem is a matter of viewing angle and not a defect in the screens. To see completely neutral colours you gotta view the screen straight-on.

I only notice tinge at the bottom when I stand up or tilt the screen forward. I noticed areas viewed straight-on are neutral and those viewed at a vertical angle are affected by the slightest of tinge. It's impossible view this 27" screen straight on when it's less than 2 feet from my face! :) My iMac sits on a monitor platform above the main surface of my desk. My eyes are level with the middle of the screen. I look upward to it. It's more comfortable to look slightly downward at a computer screen. I'd bet a lot of other users have their screens lower, hence, they see the yellow tinge at the bottom more than I do.

For those of you noticing the yellow tinge on your iMac, consider your viewing angle and your distance from the screen. Try moving your head up and down relative to the screen. I bet you'll see the yellow tinge move away when you see an area affected by it directly in front of your eyes. If I'm below my usual viewing level or if I tilt the iMac back on its hinge, the bottom area (suspect to the tinge for most posters) turns neutral and the tinge fades in from the top instead of from the bottom.

I've also noticed diminished contrast when the screen is viewed from the sides at big angles. At these angles black fades to deep grey and white gets dingy. In my limited time on the forums haven't seen anyone complain about the diminished contrast despite seeing lots of posts about the yellow tinge. I think this problem is the small price we pay for using these large LED-backlit IPS screens. Consider how much colour distortion TN LCDs produce!

I think these screens simply produce a bit more colour distortion than some other IPS screens. Perhaps the vertical distortion are more noticeable from up to down (the yellow tinge) than they are from side to side (diminished contrast.) As another example, whites go pinkish at extreme angles on the 23" aluminum Cinema Displays we use at work at work (which have cathode-backlit IPS screens.)

These panels in these new iMacs might not be Eizo quality, but I'm very, very happy with mine overall. Things should be even better after it's properly calibrated.

BobK

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
No flickering

I have a week 47 27" iMac i7 that was not flickering. I decided to install the update because many in that time frame seem to develop the problem over time. I have had it on for 2 hours and there is no flickering. I will repost if the update causes a non-flickering monitor to develop a problem.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Phazer80s, I definitely see yellow on the bottom half of mine, even when I sit across the room from it and stand up. Yours must not be affected - count yourself among the lucky. I do know that the color temp can shift as viewing angle gets more extreme. That is not what's wrong with my display.

hachre

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2007
I'm pretty sure all this Firmware Update does is clock down the video card so it gets cooler... That means it will have less performance now...
Or they might have turned the fan revs up... Which means the machine is now louder.

Both are bad solutions to fix something that should have been fixed during development.
I'm very disappointed with Apples rapidily declining quality in both software and hardware.

Phazer80s

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2002
Above the 49th
Phazer80s, I definitely see yellow on the bottom half of mine, even when I sit across the room from it and stand up. Yours must not be affected - count yourself among the lucky. I do know that the color temp can shift as viewing angle gets more extreme. That is not what's wrong with my display.

Yeesh. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Only noticed a couple of flickers in the month I've had it, too. :eek:

*knocks on head*

iDocism

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
OK, I just fell off my chair laughing. That is the best script that I've ever seen on macrumors :D:D:D

Actually its a web site: Google "**************************"

I have had bad flickering problems and I just RMA'd my iMac today - Having said and done that Ill give it a couple of days to see if the update works for me. I for one really don't want to return my iMac so good luck to us all. Odd that the Apple tech support I spoke to today didn't even mention an update :rolleyes:

mossback

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
PNW
For most of us simple Mac users this update is a HUGE deal. If this quells any new posts about flickering it will certainly get me off the sideline and I'll finally buy by 27" i7. Thanks Apple.

JammingJan

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
As a MAC newbie...I don't think I've had any issues with my new i7 27inch imac so I'm very leary of downloading this update.
Can someone who has had NO issues please post if all is well after downloading or should we just skip it altogether ?
Thanks,
Jan:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.