Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

211508-ipad2_hands_800_500.jpg

Apple's iPad 2 launches this Friday, but the first reviews are starting to trickle in. Apple typically supplies pre-release hardware to certain organizations for early review. Here are the early reviews, with some key findings.

- MacWorld
- "Pick up an iPad 2 after handling an original iPad, and you'll notice the difference right away. This is a lighter, thinner device."
- "The iPad 2 also has 512MB of RAM--twice that of the original iPad--and a 200MHz bus speed, likewise twice that of the original."
- "Though the iPad 2 is an improvement on the original iPad in numerous ways, its still an evolutionary product, not a revolutionary one"
- "In short, the iPad 2 is the fastest iOS device ever made, by a long shot."

- AllThingsD
- Cameras take mediocre still photos, decent video
- Battery life not as strong as first iPad, but impressive.
- "It never crashed in my tests, unlike every Android tablet I've tested."
- "As of now, I can comfortably recommend it as the best tablet for average consumers."

- Engadget
- "iPad 2 managed an astonishing 10 hours and 26 minutes of non-stop playback" -- better than iPad 1 in their testing.
- Cameras are "pretty bad" for stills, reasonably useful for video
- GarageBand is a "groundbreaking piece of software for tablets"
- "The iPad 2 isn't just the best tablet on the market, it feels like the only tablet on the market"

212001-geekb.png

Benchmarks from Engadget​

- NYTimes
- "My friends, I'm telling you: just that much improvement in thinness, weight and speed transforms the experience. "
- 5-megapixel camera on back (no flash) (? Only review to claim this stat and is contradicted by other reviews)

- SlashGear
- "We were able to software decode a side loaded 1.4GB .avi file in OPlayer on the fly, while watching it, without and lag or stutter. The same clip in the same app on the original iPad loads slower and drops frames and audio during playback."

Apple has posted guided tour videos showcasing the iPad 2 and the new apps including Garageband and iMovie.

Article Link: First iPad 2 Reviews: Evolutionary, 512MB RAM, Thinner, Faster

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
512MB Ram should shut up everyone now..... ALSO gotta love uncle walts reviews lol, the guy never wants to just call it like it is with apple at times

majortom1981

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2010
hmm

I am now buying one. I was undecided because of rumors of 256 ram but NOw I am buying one. I will do it on apples website though because i am not brave enough for the stores lol.

ivan2002

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
there it is

512MB RAM and a rave review from Engadet clinches it for me. I am buying my first tablet. Not so much for me though, as for the kid in my house (and the one in me).

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Pretty much what was expected; its an iPad 1.5 in iPad 2 clothing.

Saving my pennies for the real followup in a year. Until then, I'll have to make due with this iPad 1.

nitropowered

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Ohio
I wish i had 5 bills to buy one.

Apple is gonna have to discount old stock ipad1's a little more than $100 to get rid of them

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
5 megapixel camera? Is it the same lens/sensor as on the iPhone 4 with autofocus, or are the megapixels just increased, because one review notes that it takes mediocre photos.

LaDirection

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Agreed. Wish Apple could've used stronger cameras.

Why? Do you see yourselves carrying that huge thing around to take pictures? Of course not, it shouldn't be even a question. These cameras are meant as videoconferencing cams, they are perfect for that.

Has anyone ever complaint that the Macbooks' isight is mediocre for still pictures?!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
5 megapixel camera? Is it the same lens/sensor as on the iPhone 4 with autofocus, or are the megapixels just increased, because one review notes that it takes mediocre photos.

ya, that has to be wrong. I think the NYTimes review is mistaken. It also contradicts Macworld's review. I've added a note.

arn

HommePomme

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009

I think that it's a mistake on NYT part, all of the other reviews indicate that it is more-or-less identical to the iPT4's camera

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.