Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
The compelling reason to get an iPad 2 won't come until you've got iPad 2 exclusive apps like iMovie. That's when having more RAM and a dual-core processor will really matter.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
If the 512 MB of RAM is confirmed, I'm getting one.
good2.gif

aperry

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Except, actually, average selling price of iPhone 4 is what $600-$700 Apple claims? The carriers give them a ton for the device on top of the 200-300 we pay.

Sure, now compare the iPad2's camera specs to the 3GS or even 3G. Or pretty much any mobile phone in the last 2 years!

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying the iPad 2. But to argue that we shouldn't expect a better camera out of a $500+ tablet in 2011 is ridiculous.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i sold my iPad for 500, so even though this is not a big update it is worth buying. the model i want 600 sold ipad 500 get new one for 100. :D:D

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
lol true:rolleyes: don't give them ideas though, let the kiddies be happy for a few months lol

Yes because we all know its needs 1gb of RAM to run smooth. Give me a break. Even with half the memory of the Xoom it still runs better. Tells you something about Android doesnt it.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
I would have more respect for the reviewers if they said the obvious:

"We recommend you wait for the iPad 3, because the iPad is still just a big iPod Touch, despite it being the best performing tablet on the market right now."

sup3rsal

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
People are going to be really disappointed with the camera on the iPad.

But Apple really intends it to be a video-centric feature. Holding up an iPad and taking photos is cumbersome. If Apple had their way, iPad 2 owners would take out the iPhone for photos.

yea true, im almost 100% sure that if someone owns an ipad they own either an iphone or a cellphone that has a decent camera

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU
Best on the market by a mile... cheapest on the market by a mile. I could probably pick a used iPad up off eBay now for the same price as a Nook-effing-Color. And in less than four years, cheaper than my first iPod touch.

iPad
adore.gif

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Except, actually, average selling price of iPhone 4 is what $600-$700 Apple claims? The carriers give them a ton for the device on top of the 200-300 we pay.
Correct, at least in the markets where handsets are subsidized.

If you walk into an Apple Store in the United States, you can buy an iPhone 4 off contract. They start at $599. The next time you're in a store, look at the little placard, it's in fine print.

Pundits believe that the average iPhone subsidy is around $375.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
RAM is very crucial in a mobile multi-tasking device.

I have to agree with the other writer... what do you care if the product is fast and snappy?

For me it comes down to the total experience. If it works well and does what I want... I'm buying it. I don't care about the ram unless applications just run like crap because of it.

Also... camera note.. it's obvious that Apple added them mostly for video chat... probably what 90% of people will do with them anyway.

nonameowns

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
for those who complained that the ram is not enough...

GET A ****EING COMPUTER.

it's not about the spec damn.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Well, I'm debating what I should do...upgrade or not.

I'm debating whether to upgrade from an iPod touch/iPhone (of which we have quite a few in our household), and I feel my resistance fading… But my kids say wait for the retina display! Why do my kids have to be so objective about this. I WANT AN IPAD!! *throws massive tanty*

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Have you actually used one already or are you just a troll?
The amount of drawbacks that Tolpolsky listed throughout his review simply CANNOT warrant a 9/10.

The guy even says HE WOULD LIKE APPLE TO ADD FLASH to the iPad, for crying out loud. Most Apple fanatics don't want flash and he still gave it an Apple fanatic review score.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I've always suspected a poor photo result because it's a pretty awkward device to hold still while you're shooting, compared to a standard camera or an iphone. I reckon the shots in general are going to be blurrier.

Heh. I would think the balance for an iPad would introduce more movement than with a camera or even an iPhone.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I'm debating whether to upgrade from an iPod touch/iPhone (of which we have quite a few in our household), and I feel my resistance fading… But my kids say wait for the retina display! Why do my kids have to be so objective about this. I WANT AN IPAD!! *throws massive tanty*

I could hand mine down to my father and save him some money. Such a hard decision.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
To me, 512MB RAM is a must, in no way Apple can still put 256MB RAM in this tablet. Well, thinner and lighter? It ought to be. Crappy camera? who cares, just one for video conferencing is amazing enough. :D

But I'm still getting one!! :)

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
To those folks who, for some reason, think anyone else cares whether or not you're buying an iPad 2 this week: they don't.

Honestly, do you think others read through pages and pages getting all giddy because OMGMACBOY123 is buying an iPad 2 this Friday? STOP THE PRESSES! JOBSHATERQQMOAR isn't buying one!

Oh, I'm buying one Friday btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.