Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
We've noticed your service plan may need updating.

Many AT&T customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones– a practice commonly known as tethering. Tethering can be an efficient way for our customers to enjoy the benefits of AT&T's mobile broadband network and use more than one device to stay in touch with important people and information. To take advantage of this feature, we require that in addition to a data plan, you also have a tethering plan.

Our records show that you use this capability, but are not subscribed to our tethering plan.

If you would like to continue tethering, please log into
your account online at http://www.wireless.att.com, or call us
at 1-888-860-6789 Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. CST
or Saturday, 8 a.m. - 7 p.m. CST, by March 27, 2011
to sign up for DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
Here are details on the plan:

DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering
• $45 per month
(this gives you 4GB in total, combining both your smartphone data plan for $25 and the tethering feature, $20)
• $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed
• Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible Smartphones
If we don't hear from you, we'll plan to automatically enroll you into DataPro 4GB after March 27, 2011. The new plan – whether you sign up on your own or we automatically enroll you – will replace your current smartphone data plan, including if you are on an unlimited data plan.

If you discontinue tethering, no changes to your current plan will be required.

It's easy to track your usage throughout the month so there are no bill surprises. For example, we send you free text messages when you reach 65, 90, and 100 percent of your plan's threshold. If you would like to monitor your account more closely, go to http://www.att.com/dataplans to learn about other ways to track your data usage.

As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

Thank you for bringing your account up to date. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve your mobile broadband needs.

Sincerely,

AT&T

That's great, except I DO NOT TETHER ... but I am jail broken .. anyone else get these?

jshel1024

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I got the same message this morning, however, I am tethering. If you'r not it sounds as if they are trying to get people who are using too much of their unlimited data. Do you use a lot of data?

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I got the same message this morning, however, I am tethering. If you'r not it sounds as if they are trying to get people who are using too much of their unlimited data. Do you use a lot of data?

I'm the same way, but hardly ever tether. It has to be based on your data usage.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge. AT&T smartphone customers can use Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go at any one of our more than 23,000 U.S. hotspots already included in your data plan.

I like how they throw that in there......as if my data plan for their network allowed me to use other wifi networks

Jtony

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I called them

They told me to quit using tether or they will cut my unlimited service , the emails says if you don't call them they will automatically change you from unlimited to 5g a month with tether

Howdr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
I just posted today that At&t will catch people

funny how they are reaching out now, WOW

as long as you are not tethering or Downloading more then your plan or more then 5gb a month don't worry. The secrete cap is 5gb a month

if you are using around or under the 2gb cap then your fine.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
I ask what my last months usage was and was tol 18g

18G??? I stream slingbox and listen to Sirius Radio for almost 8 hours every day and I'm only at 3.8GB?? What are you doing that uses 18GB of data in a month???

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I just posted today that At&t will catch people

funny how they are reaching out now, WOW

as long as you are not tethering or Downloading more then your plan or more then 5gb a month don't worry. The secrete cap is 5gb a month

if you are using around or under the 2gb cap then your fine.
This makes me want to stream the largest videos the iPhone can handle on 3G overnight JUST to see how much I can use out of spite.

Howdr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
And this thread says you can do this forever and not get caught, they called At&t blah blah

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1082690/

Its BS and your proving it!

I knew people get caught, I have read it over and over since 2008 on the net.

Now At&t is more sophisticated and can catch people easier.

I have tethered since my 3g but always with caution. Like 3 to 4 GB a month.

18Gb is abuse no doubt....... the thread says they use 90GB a month and was told thats fine they have unlimited.............BS

TruckdriverSean

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2009
Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Jtony said:
I ask what my last months usage was and was tol 18g

GOOD LORD!?!

18GB?!!

Wow. 10 internets for you, good sir!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

GOOD LORD!?!

18GB?!!

Wow. 10 internets for you, good sir!

There was someone here who said h used 90 gb in one month.

Howdr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
So you're the one who gave AT&T the idea! Shame on you!:mad:

LOL no I tether, in fact I would join a class action suit against the charge for tethering, I contend its Double dipping. WHy pay for the same service twice?:confused:

Jtony

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
I mostly use netflix , I sit around I'm my truck waiting for a call , sometimes go 8 hrs with nothing to do so I was tethering iPad to watch netflix

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
LOL no I tether, in fact I would join a class action suit against the charge for tethering, I contend its Double dipping. WHy pay for the same service twice?:confused:
Same here. I'd join in a heartbeat. I especially believe this if you're under a known cap. It's 2GB no matter how you use it. Ridiculous!

Howdr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
I mostly use netflix , I sit around I'm my truck waiting for a call , sometimes go 8 hrs with nothing to do so I was tethering iPad to watch netflix

You cant watch Netflix on Ipad yet? I thought you could?

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
"As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge."

How generous of them not to charge for Wifi.

Jtony

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
18g

My usage was a little down this month I was on vacation a few days, last month I used 26g , guy @ATT told me alot of people go over the 50g mark a month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.