Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tikitommy

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Same here. I'd join in a heartbeat. I especially believe this if you're under a known cap. It's 2GB no matter how you use it. Ridiculous!

That's a case you'd lose.

When you sign a contract and agree to the ToS, there likely is language that does not allow tethering. That you agreed to unlimited data for use through that specific device.

Not saying that I would never tether on my unlimited plan but it has to be done within reason.

All you can eat buffetts can still turn you away after a point.

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
What don't you understand. He tethers his phone Internet to watch netflixs on his iPad. I prefer the bigger screen.

He was making a few assumptions:

1) jtony's iPad has 3G
2) jtony's iPad has a current data plan
3) jtony has the unlimited data plan from the iPad 1 when it was first released

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
"As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge."

How generous of them not to charge for Wifi.
They're referring to their public WiFi hotspots, not your WiFi at home. ;)

Non-AT&T customers cannot use most of AT&T's mobile hotspots.
At least not for free anyway.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

When you sign a contract and agree to the ToS, there likely is language that does not allow tethering. That you agreed to unlimited data for use through that specific device.
It's specifically stated in the ToS. You cannot tether without a tethering plan.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/wireless-terms.jsp

Located in Section 6.2 of the AT&T Wireless Customer Agreement.
Furthermore, plans (unless specifically designated for tethering usage) cannot be used for any applications that tether the device (through use of, including without limitation, connection kits, other phone/smartphone to computer accessories, BLUETOOTH® or any other wireless technology) to Personal Computers (including without limitation, laptops), or other equipment for any purpose.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010
i bet they send this letter out to everyone.

the people who have no idea will just ignore.

the people who are scared will stop tethering or simply pay up. :rolleyes:

the people who know what they're doing will continue to tether w/o any changes.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It may be but at least it would bring more attention to the issue. Also, class action may have been the wrong wording. Either way, it needs to get changed.

And just to clarify, I'm not for tethering on unlimited plans if you don't pay for it. I'm for tethering on plans that you already pay for a certain amount of data that has a cap known to the subscriber*. As far as I know, at&t and Verizon don't offer anything close to that.

* Note: I'm not talking about at&t or Verizon. I'm referring to what I think is acceptable.

My point is, why should I have to pony up more money just to use what I'm already paying for just because the device is different? That is what I think is ridiculous.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It's specifically stated in the ToS. You cannot tether without a tethering plan.
This was a very reasonable clause back when data plans offered unlimited data. However now that they are limiting usage, it seems less reasonable to also limit what you can do.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Are you sure you're not tethering? Not even just a little bit?
I'll be able to tell you in a month if I get a notice. I have TetherMe just in case I need it (never have before) and tested it on a few web pages to make sure it was working and what the speed was. Probably less than a few MB.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I like how they throw that in there......as if my data plan for their network allowed me to use other wifi networks

Actually, it *does*.

I do agree that they should have actually mentioned those networks where they have the sharing agreements set up.

I knew what they meant, but agreed it's poorly worded at best.

Howdr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010

Not saying that I would never tether on my unlimited plan but it has to be done within reason.

All you can eat buffetts can still turn you away after a point.
LOL yeah right....... There is no such thing as a scam being allowed, the test of the class action suit is that the Carriers have exclusive rights to us ( the feds regulate the companies ) and we have little choice in who we use, just a handful of companies. Also the idea they can just charge more for use, charge more for the same data use....... Come on they are wrong,

Its like here's a glass of water, you pay a $1 for it and you pour it on your head, oh that will be a $1 more, why? You used the water on your body and thats now a shower and they are $2, if you drank the same water it would be $1.

The data use is the same if I look at a website with the phone or on my Laptop.

Unlimited should = Unlimited

of course I argue you can get into trouble with the carriers but doesn't mean I agree and don't think there is something to a fight with this issue.

A stupid argument At&t has is that its not supposed to be for primary internet use, yet they sell modems for laptops and tethering programs using the same 3G and Data....... Its all about money and we are getting scammed

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bet they are checking your data usage. They might be seeing how much you are using an hr.

James

yellowballoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
LOL yeah right....... There is no such thing as a scam being allowed, the test of the class action suit is that the Carriers have exclusive rights to us ( the feds regulate the companies ) and we have little choice in who we use, just a handful of companies. Also the idea they can just charge more for use, charge more for the same data use....... Come on they are wrong,

Its like here's a glass of water, you pay a $1 for it and you pour it on your head, oh that will be a $1 more, why? You used the water on your body and thats now a shower and they are $2, if you drank the same water it would be $1.

The data use is the same if I look at a website with the phone or on my Laptop.

Unlimited should = Unlimited

of course I argue you can get into trouble with the carriers but doesn't mean I agree and don't think there is something to a fight with this issue.

A stupid argument At&t has is that its not supposed to be for primary internet use, yet they sell modems for laptops and tethering programs using the same 3G and Data....... Its all about money and we are getting scammed

Getting scammed? It's their data and they can sell it for whatever they want. Simple supply and demand here. They're in it to make money. Capitalism at its best. Why is that hard to understand? Yeah it sucks..but that the gold ole USA.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
LOL no I tether, in fact I would join a class action suit against the charge for tethering, I contend its Double dipping. WHy pay for the same service twice?:confused:

Same here. I'd join in a heartbeat. I especially believe this if you're under a known cap. It's 2GB no matter how you use it. Ridiculous!

While you are both correct in THEORY a class action wouldn't stand a chance (which is why no money grubbing lawyer has brought one for this to date) because when you sign your CONTRACT you are agreeing to their rules whether you like them or not. Suing because you don't like their rules doesn't work.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

einmusiker said:
I'll believe it when the op posts a screen shot of said email

There are three people who now said they received the emails. Two posts at the same time in different forums the same email. It looks legit.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I think it's related to 4.3 update. I'll be staying on 4.2.1 until this gets worked out.

I'd say your right, only in that 4.3 completed the native tethering support, allowing ATT to offer an official wifi solution. ATT has always had the ability to detect devices using tethering. This simply marks the first time ATT has used that data to enforce account rules. I highly doubt that the version of iOS effects ATT's ability to flag your account. Other threads have reports of users as far back as 4.0.1 receiving emails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.