Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I have no doult that AT&T is capable to find out if you are tethering or not, but I don't think they have the man power and resource to catch or monitor all the high data user.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Interesting. My guess is it's the high data usage that is triggering these messages. It also appears that they can't tell if you are actually tethering....this would be good if thats the case since you can just tell them you are using an app that uses a large amount of data. (netflix,Sirius, pandora, etc) and they'll accept your answer.
Sounds like a poker game and if you dont call or do anything about it they will just switch you on a tiered data package and then make plenty of money from you by charging for overages.
Someone posted that he told AT&T that he streams Sirius all day. They said the plan can stay the same since he don't "tether".
Have a good day and thank you for calling AT&T:D

Howdr

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2010
I think it's related to 4.3 update. I'll be staying on 4.2.1 until this gets worked out.

Nope on modmyI they have been posting 4.01 4.1 4.2.1 and 4.3 all

It was mywI users
Lots of theories of how

And it's way more then a few, At&t upgraded the system to detect this, it's new and automated

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Nope on modmyI they have been posting 4.01 4.1 4.2.1 and 4.3 all

It was mywI users
Lots of theories of how

And it's way more then a few, At&t upgraded the system to detect this, it's new and automated

I posted awhile back (maybe a year) that the AT&T bill had different wording (I forget what) for those times on my bill when I was tethering. If I find the post, I’ll repost here.

Edit: here's the post

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10024465/

Looks like it may only be detectable when using a commcenter hack.

Last edited:

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I just read this article from TIPB

Some AT&T iPhone users, Jailbroken and tethering via MyWi, are getting text messages and e-mails from AT&T that imply they know they are tethering even though they aren’t on an official tethering plan. One of our own writers, Andrew was one of those who received the message.

I use MyWi to tether as well but have not received anything yet. (I actually was just tethering today.) I’m not sure how they are detecting MyWi users but I can make an educated guess.

I think it’s one of two things. Since AT&T offers Personal Hotspot under iOS 4.3, they may have access to data they didn’t before, and they’re choosing to use it in a pretty crappy way. So if you’re on iOS 4.2.1 still (almost all jailbreakers are) and they see you’re generating traffic that looks like Personal Hotspot, they know you’re doing so without a plan. Once a jailbreak for iOS 4.3 is released, I bet it will make it a lot harder for them to track what users are actually tethering legitimately. Option two, they’re just going after heavy data users again and trying to bluff them into switching to a tethering plan and losing their unlimited data. Andrew tethers a heck of a lot more than me. I only consume a fraction of what he does. So that’s a viable answer too.

Originally Jailbreakers used MyWi because AT&T took a year longer to offer iPhone tethering than international carriers. Since then they’ve used it to get around AT&T’s ridiculous fees for tethering. (Tethering is free on some international carriers as well.)

Hit the jump to read the e-mail AT&T has been sending out as well as to let us know what you think! Anyone else been getting messages from AT&T? Anyone on iOS 4.3 using official Personal Hotspot? Any PDANet users?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
LOL no I tether, in fact I would join a class action suit against the charge for tethering, I contend its Double dipping. WHy pay for the same service twice?:confused:

You are not paying for the same service twice.

This was a very reasonable clause back when data plans offered unlimited data. However now that they are limiting usage, it seems less reasonable to also limit what you can do.

Since my service charge would go up if they did that I do not agree with you. They charge for their plans based on how much data the average person uses on those plans. If they included tethering with them, the average usage would go up, and thus they would charge EVERYONE more for the 2 gigs of data even those who do not tether. I prefer the people who want to tether pay for it, and the people who do not want to pay for it do not have to... I know this is a seemingly hard concept for people to absorb and I am not sure why...

The bottom line though is simple. If they included tethering with the data packages they have now, the data price for those packages would go up in price for everyone.
The bottom line though is simple. If they included tethering with the data packages they have now, the data price for those packages would go up in price for everyone.

So you can like it or not like.. As someone who wants to tether I am sure you don't care that you only have to pay $5 more to tether while someone else has to pay $5 more and get no benefit for it, but for the people who don't want to tether they get screwed. They don't want to subsidize you and your tethering. What the tethering plan does is allow the people who want to tether to pay for that, while allowing people who do not want to tether to have a lower more affordable cost.

Again, if they included tethering in the 2 gig package, then the cost of the 2 gig package would become more expensive for everyone. Why? Because the average amount of data being used would go up. So everyone would pay more. Again, if they included tethering in the 2 gig package, then the cost of the 2 gig package would become more expensive for everyone.

I don't want to subsidize people who want to tether, and I certainly don't want to subsidize people who steal tethering via jailbreaking. So all of this is good news.

LOL no I tether, in fact I would join a class action suit against the charge for tethering, I contend its Double dipping. WHy pay for the same service twice?:confused:

LOL yeah right....... There is no such thing as a scam being allowed, the test of the class action suit is that the Carriers have exclusive rights to us ( the feds regulate the companies ) and we have little choice in who we use, just a handful of companies. Also the idea they can just charge more for use, charge more for the same data use....... Come on they are wrong,

Its like here's a glass of water, you pay a $1 for it and you pour it on your head, oh that will be a $1 more, why? You used the water on your body and thats now a shower and they are $2, if you drank the same water it would be $1.

The data use is the same if I look at a website with the phone or on my Laptop.

Actually you are getting the water at an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet. The buffet charges $1 for the water, because the average customer consumes .5 glasses of water each visit. So the dollar covers their costs and allows them the profit margin they want. Now you and your friends start coming every day and get the $1 water with refills but dump water all over yourself and on the ground and everywhere. After a week the average usage of water per visitor has gone up to 1.25 glasses per visitor. So now the buffet has to raise the cost of water for everyone to cover the extra usage caused by you and your friends pouring water all of themselves. So now everyone has to pay $2 for access to the water.

I think the problem people have understanding this stuff is they have a complete disconnect on pricing and think the pricing is created in some kind of vacuum that is independent of actual cost. Which is not the case at all. How much data you use, I use and everyone uses has a direct impact on how much AT&T ends up charging for usage. When average usage goes up, AT&T has to either offset that with reduced costs or increased revenues.

Last edited:

FrancoRumors

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
I don't want to subsidize people who want to tether, and I certainly don't want to subsidize people who steal tethering via jailbreaking. So all of this is good news.

I agree - even more so with the second half of your statement. If it is true that some of the people that are jailbreaking are using 50 GB of data a month - I now understand why the "paying" public is charged so much for a measly 4 GB/month.

- Stealing sucks -

Oh - BTW, AT&T - Unify my data bill! - You get to decide how much to charge me for data - I get to decide how to use it - Thanks

Bonds79

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2008
Sounds like ATT's masterplan to get folks off of grandfathered unlimited data .......................:eek:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Sounds like ATT's masterplan to get folks off of grandfathered unlimited data .......................:eek:

I think its more simply to have its customers pay for the feature that they should have been paying for.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Looks like its only high usage accounts.

I rarely go above 2gb and absolutely never go above 5gb, but I tether sometimes, use pandora, netflix stream rarely, etc...

I have received no email, txt, or otherwise.

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
I think its more simply to have its customers pay for the feature that they should have been paying for.

There are reports of "Unlimited" users getting this notice, even if they don't tether, because they use a lot of data.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
There are reports of "Unlimited" users getting this notice, even if they don't tether, because they use a lot of data.

If this is the case, and I think it is, there could definitely be a class action lawsuit here as they don't have any way to prove tethering, and with Netflix, radio and hulu people can use gobs of data without tethering

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
It's actually pretty easy for AT&T to tell who is tethering...

All they have to do is run some sort of a packet sniffer and look at the browser agent strings. If they start seeing Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Chrome strings there's no doubt you are tethering.

I applaud AT&T for cracking down on this.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009

All they have to do is run some sort of a packet sniffer and look at the browser agent strings. If they start seeing Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Chrome strings there's no doubt you are tethering.

The Atomic Web browser (an official purchased app) allows me to set my browser ID to anything I want. I use it to avoid Mobile formatted web sites. So this would NOT mean that somebody is necessarily tethering. I have never tethered with my 3GS, but my usage stats would show a LOT of "Desktop Safari", because that's what I set it to. I could also set it to Firefox, IE, etc...

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
If this is the case, and I think it is, there could definitely be a class action lawsuit here as they don't have any way to prove tethering, and with Netflix, radio and hulu people can use gobs of data without tethering

ATT has enough network management software to know who is tendering very easily

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
I think it's related to 4.3 update. I'll be staying on 4.2.1 until this gets worked out.

Its the other way around, actually. Since there is no 4.3 JB yet, there is no way to unofficially tether on 4.3.

And what if they aren't using a web browser?

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Its the other way around, actually. Since there is no 4.3 JB yet, there is no way to unofficially tether on 4.3.

And what if they aren't using a web browser?

It would probably make it easier for them to find out. Somebody at AT&T might scratch their heads when their logs show your iPhone connected to Windows Update

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You are not paying for the same service twice.

Since my service charge would go up if they did that I do not agree with you. They charge for their plans based on how much data the average person uses on those plans. If they included tethering with them, the average usage would go up, and thus they would charge EVERYONE more for the 2 gigs of data even those who do not tether. I prefer the people who want to tether pay for it, and the people who do not want to pay for it do not have to... I know this is a seemingly hard concept for people to absorb and I am not sure why...

...snip...
So you can like it or not like.. As someone who wants to tether I am sure you don't care that you only have to pay $5 more to tether while someone else has to pay $5 more and get no benefit for it, but for the people who don't want to tether they get screwed. They don't want to subsidize you and your tethering. What the tethering plan does is allow the people who want to tether to pay for that, while allowing people who do not want to tether to have a lower more affordable cost.

Again, if they included tethering in the 2 gig package, then the cost of the 2 gig package would become more expensive for everyone. Why? Because the average amount of data being used would go up. So everyone would pay more. Again, if they included tethering in the 2 gig package, then the cost of the 2 gig package would become more expensive for everyone.

I don't want to subsidize people who want to tether, and I certainly don't want to subsidize people who steal tethering via jailbreaking. So all of this is good news. ...snip...
All the carriers could fix this by making everyone pay in 500MB chunks of like a few dollars. Say 5 dollars per 500MB then allow you to tether and use as much data as you want. That way the folks that don't use a lot of data wont subsidize those who do.
They should also note who is using the most data and give them the best QoS since they are obviously paying more...

Last edited:

shelbymayer

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
That's a case you'd lose.

When you sign a contract and agree to the ToS, there likely is language that does not allow tethering. That you agreed to unlimited data for use through that specific device.

Not saying that I would never tether on my unlimited plan but it has to be done within reason.

All you can eat buffetts can still turn you away after a point.

+1

All you can eat buffetts also charge you for additional people sharing your plate...how is this any different?

yellowballoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
I don't feel sorry for anyone getting this text or email. You're killing it for all of us. To the ones that are tethering, you know you're doing it, and suppose to be paying for it. You're not entitled to anything, and no one owes it to you because you believe you can take what you're suppose to be paying for. Your logic has no value. You know what you're doing. I hope these people either get their contracts cancelled or $45 added to their bills. The gravy train is over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.