Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I have no problem with people tethering using MyWi or tetherme, but I have a problem when they use it as their primary internet. Using over 10GB of tether 3G a month is just totally ridiculous. You are the people that killed the unlimited plan. I kept my phone in 3G a whole month and had to try hard to get 3GB.

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
"As a reminder, our smartphone data plans also include unlimited usage of Wi-Fi at no additional charge."

How generous of them not to charge for Wifi.

Actually, I cannot use my uni's wifi on my ATT smartphone... Does this mean they aren't upholding their end of the contract?

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
I'm also concerned with ATT's plan to start metering home dsl
useage later this spring. The cap's are coming and big users will
no longer be able to avoid paying for big use, whether at home
or mobile. The cable providers will be close behind.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
Hmm. The ToS refer to 'personal computers', including laptops. What about iPads, which are mobile devices?

If you tethered just your iPad I can almost guarantee you would not get busted. The iPad traffic would look pretty much like iPhone traffic to any sort of packet sniffing software AT&T uses. The software probably red flags accounts under certain conditions like browser agent strings, accessing Windows or Apple update service, accessing torrent, and so forth. Then after a red flag software takes a deeper look at your packets to see what's going on.

chr

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
If you tethered just your iPad I can almost guarantee you would not get busted. The iPad traffic would look pretty much like iPhone traffic to any sort of packet sniffing software AT&T uses. The software probably red flags accounts under certain conditions like browser agent strings, accessing Windows or Apple update service, accessing torrent, and so forth. Then after a red flag software takes a deeper look at your packets to see what's going on.
Unless they're using TTL to determine whether you're tethering, in which case it'll be easy to detect an iPad being tethered.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Unless they're using TTL to determine whether you're tethering, in which case it'll be easy to detect an iPad being tethered.

That's just one of many possible methods. Unfortunately many people prefer to continue believing that it's impossible for AT&T to legitimately detect tethering.

The fact is AT&T can see devices acting as routers and the logging is close to full proof. Whether or not you receive a notice is likely tied more to policy then tech. (it's also possible that they are only reviewing data from select towers right now)

yellowballoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
ATT internal info concerning tethering:

Tethering is a practice that enables a customer to use a smartphone as a broadband connection for other devices, such as laptop computers, netbooks, tablets, and Wi-Fi-enabled and other computing devices.

The Wireless Customer Agreement (WCA) requires our customers to be on a tethering plan if they use their devices to tether. Refer to the WCA from the Related Links section.

What Is Going On?

We are reminding customers of our requirement to have a tethering plan if they use their smartphone to tether. This is a reminder of the existing policy and a request to bring their account up to date.

As of March 17, we will be sending notification to subscribers who are currently tethering without the appropriate and required smartphone data plan which is DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.

Process to Bring Account in Line With Policy

Customers can do this in one of two ways:

Call, click, or come into a store to change from their current data plan to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.
Wait until the date indicated on the notification, at which point we will update their account and add the plan for them.
Customers can also choose to stop tethering, in which case they do not need to take any action on changing their plan.

Why Are We Doing This?

Customers tethering without the appropriate data plan are not in line with the requirements of their Wireless Customer Agreement. Review this from the Related Links section.

When Does The Communication Start?

The notifications begin to go out on March 17, 2011.

Which Customers Are We Addressing?

The notifications are sent to smartphone customers identified as tethering without the appropriate plan. We are asking them to bring their account up to date by adding the required tethering feature.

We will be notifying customers in stages, however, the plan is to eventually identify and notify all customers tethering with a smartphone, regardless of the type, without the required data plan.

How Will They Be Notified?

Notifications are sent by e-mail, SMS, and a letter sent through U.S. mail.

Customers will receive a first notification to remind them of the terms and conditions, educate them about our tethering plan requirements, and ask them to bring their account up to date by changing to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering.

Customers may either bring their account up to date as requested or they may choose to discontinue tethering and remain on their current data plan.

If they continue to tether and do not change their data plan to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering, a second notification will be sent informing them that we have moved them to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering, as we informed them in the first communication.

Secondary notifications will also be sent via U.S. mail, e-mail, and SMS. Refer to the Related Links section to review samples.

Frequently Asked Questions

Which plan are customers automatically moved to if they do not bring their account in line with our policy?
They are moved to 4GB for Smartphone Tethering. The $45.00/month plan includes 4GB of data per month; $10.00 for each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed. Mobile Hotspot capabilities are included for compatible smartphones. Refer to the Related Links section for more information.

How does this work with customers currently on a Smartphone Data Unlimited plan?
Handle business as usual. We do not offer a tethering option for subscribers who wish to remain on their Smartphone Data Unlimited plan. However, the customer can keep their unlimited data plan if they stop tethering. If they wish to continue to tether, they will need to move to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering to align with our policy.

Once a customer moves to DataPro 4GB for Smartphone Tethering, whether they do so on their own or we automatically update their account, the customer will no longer have the option to return to the Smartphone Data Unlimited plan.

Where are customers directed to when they receive notification and have questions?
The notification includes a phone number for customers to call with questions. These calls will be auto-routed to the EON/DEON specialty representatives trained to assist these customers.

Similar to date as well: SIM Swapping

Appropriate data plans are required to use Mobile Broadband devices (laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) on the AT&T Network.

Effective March 16, 2011, AT&T will systematically enforce this policy by alerting customers with unlimited data plans when they take the SIM from their current smartphone, QMP, or basic phone and place it into a Mobile Broadband device to access data unlimited, that an appropriate data plan is required.

Process

Once SIM swapping is detected, customers will receive notifications via SMS and e-mail that an appropriate data plan is required for their Mobile Broadband device. If the customer continues to use their SIM in the device, their data service will be restricted for the remainder of the billing period unless they contact Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Reasons

Any data unlimited customer who takes the SIM from their smart phone, QMP, or basic phone and puts it into a Mobile Broadband device is not in compliance with the requirements of their wireless customer agreement.

Communication Key Dates

Effective March 16, 2011

Specific Customers Addressed

The notifications will go to smartphone, QMP, and basic phone users with unlimited data plans who put their SIM into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: Laptop, Tablet or AT&T Mobile Hotspot device).

Notification Methods

By SMS and e-mail

SMS Communications

The first message is sent when AT&T first detects SIM swapping activity.
AT&T Free Msg: An eligible data plan is required when using a Laptop, Tablet or MiFi device. Call 611 as soon as possible for details and to avoid service interruption.
The second message is sent when AT&T detects subsequent SIM swapping activity.
AT&T Free Msg: Your data service has been restricted due to SIM swapping with a data connect device. Call 800-331-0500 to discuss available plan options.
E-Mail Communication

If we have the customer's e-mail address, the following communication will be sent after each out-of-policy usage.

At AT&T, we value your business and want to ensure you have the data plan that's right for you. Did you know an eligible data plan is required when using mobile broadband? If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your wireless handset into your Laptop, Tablet or MiFi, your data service may no longer work properly on either device.

Call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team will help you establish service with an appropriate data plan for your device and restore data service if necessary.
AT&T offers a variety of plans to fit your needs in order to provide the best on-the-go experience on the nation's fastest mobile broadband network. Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call. You can also visit our web page here to learn more.
Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

FAQs

Does this policy affect all SIM swapping?
No. This policy is being enforced for smartphone, QMP, and basic phone customers with a data unlimited plan on their account who put their SIMs into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) in an effort to share data unlimited between two devices.

Why is AT&T notifying my customer about putting their smartphone SIM into their new tablet?
Any customer using a Mobile Broadband device on the AT&T network is required to have an appropriate data plan which supports that device. This policy is now being systematically enforced.

How will my customer receive the SMS notification if the SIM is in one of the Mobile Broadband devices?
Most of these devices allow customers to receive SMS messages. However if the device does not, the SMS communication will continue to be sent for a period of up to three days. Also, if the customer has an e-mail address on file, AT&T will send a notification via e-mail.

My data unlimited customer did not realize it was against AT&T policy to put the SIM from a smartphone into a Mobile Broadband device. My customer does not want to add a data plan for their Mobile Broadband device. What are the options?
With the many services and ease of use of our great new Mobile Broadband devices, our customers will be able to fully utilize these devices. Also they get the best possible experience if they have an appropriate data plan for that device or they can select our DataPro with tethering plan for their current smartphone.

If the customer continues to use their smartphone SIM in their Mobile Broadband device, their data service will be suspended until the end of the billing period, unless the customer calls into Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Note: If the customer does not contact Customer Care to add a plan, their data service will be restored for their smartphone at the beginning of the new billing cycle. If SIM swapping activity is detected during the next billing cycle, the data service on the account will be suspended again.

Is my customer eligible for a data credit while his data service is suspended?
No.

Can my customer continue this process each billing cycle?
No. If the customer continues the out of policy behavior, AT&T reserves the right to remove the unlimited smartphone data plan from the account.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
...snip...

Does this policy affect all SIM swapping?
No. This policy is being enforced for smartphone, QMP, and basic phone customers with a data unlimited plan on their account who put their SIMs into a Mobile Broadband device (Examples: laptop, tablets, or AT&T Mobile Hotspot devices) in an effort to share data unlimited between two devices.

Why is AT&T notifying my customer about putting their smartphone SIM into their new tablet?
Any customer using a Mobile Broadband device on the AT&T network is required to have an appropriate data plan which supports that device. This policy is now being systematically enforced.

How will my customer receive the SMS notification if the SIM is in one of the Mobile Broadband devices?
Most of these devices allow customers to receive SMS messages. However if the device does not, the SMS communication will continue to be sent for a period of up to three days. Also, if the customer has an e-mail address on file, AT&T will send a notification via e-mail.

My data unlimited customer did not realize it was against AT&T policy to put the SIM from a smartphone into a Mobile Broadband device. My customer does not want to add a data plan for their Mobile Broadband device. What are the options?
With the many services and ease of use of our great new Mobile Broadband devices, our customers will be able to fully utilize these devices. Also they get the best possible experience if they have an appropriate data plan for that device or they can select our DataPro with tethering plan for their current smartphone.

If the customer continues to use their smartphone SIM in their Mobile Broadband device, their data service will be suspended until the end of the billing period, unless the customer calls into Customer Care to add the appropriate data plan.

Note: If the customer does not contact Customer Care to add a plan, their data service will be restored for their smartphone at the beginning of the new billing cycle. If SIM swapping activity is detected during the next billing cycle, the data service on the account will be suspended again.

Is my customer eligible for a data credit while his data service is suspended?
No.

Can my customer continue this process each billing cycle?
No. If the customer continues the out of policy behavior, AT&T reserves the right to remove the unlimited smartphone data plan from the account.
Sigh, so since the iPad is a tablet, you can no longer swap your iPhone 4 SIM in and browse the web on the iPad... Nice... :rolleyes:

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I understand them cracking down and getting people who actually tether but they are doing it on pure speculation, just because u use slot of data (witch is unlimited by the way) they shouldn't just accuse you of tethering. If I was you I would go to my local ATT store and act like I was totally pissed of there accusations and tell them I want a bill cut or something. Lol jk but do something like that. I bet if I didn't use wifi a lot I would use so much data, and I would complain if they sent me that.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Sigh, so since the iPad is a tablet, you can no longer swap your iPhone 4 SIM in and browse the web on the iPad... Nice... :rolleyes:

I sounds like this would only be an issue if you have an unlimited data plan. If you iPhone has a 2GB plan, I think you'll be ok.... for now.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I understand them cracking down and getting people who actually tether but they are doing it on pure speculation...

Your understanding is wrong. It's easy for them to detect whether or not your device is acting like a router and forwarding packets. Forwarding requires extra information in the packet header and results is increased network hops (TTL).

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I agree.
They usually copy each other's "good" habits:)

So long as AT&T doesn't copy VZ's throttling of high volume data users, I can live with paying for my data.

It's important to note that this rule has applied for a long time to both AT&T and VZ users. This is just the first time that it has been actively enforced. If people wanted to complain, they should have done so before signing the contract.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Well, I do use MiWi, but not that much at all, I have not reached 1gb on the last 3 months all together, I also have the unlimited plan on my iPad, and I have not used that since the yankees were out last season, but I do still pay for it, because I want to have it for this season so I can watch the games when on the go.

But if they try to pull this off with me I will be canceling my service on the iPhone, and the iPad, I guess is a good thing I paid full price for my phone...

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
So long as AT&T doesn't copy VZ's throttling of high volume data users, I can live with paying for my data.
Agreed, I'd much rather they cracked down on the tethering than start throttling data, I couldn't live with the slow data speeds that the CDMA phone has.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
i bet they send this letter out to everyone.

the people who have no idea will just ignore.

the people who are scared will stop tethering or simply pay up. :rolleyes:

the people who know what they're doing will continue to tether w/o any changes.

All three classes of thieves will end up just being rolled over to a new tethering plan, just as they've warned.

And then come on here and play Judge Judy and throw a fit and do absolutely nothing about it other than complain they were unjustly treated.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
I have no problem with people tethering using MyWi or tetherme, but I have a problem when they use it as there primary internet. Using over 10GB of tether 3G a month is just totally ridiculous. You are the people that killed the unlimited plan. I kept my phone in 3G a whole month and had to try hard to get 3GB.

i sorta of agree with you but at the same time you need to realize that when youre sold something that is unlimited, there is an expectation that you can consume as much as you want; its unlimited after all.

att could have had this solved years ago if they simply had a 10 or 15 gig cap for the $30/month plan. few, if any, would have the option to cancel their home internet at that point, while those of us who do tether, but do so within certain limits, could continue to use our data uninterrupted with no harassment.

oh and btw, here's some info on how to get around this:

How they know what you do
All IP packets have something called a TTL associated with them. It stands for Time To Live. Every "hop" along the network from one router to the next reduces the TTL by one. When it reaches 0, the packet is dropped. This was introduced to keep routing problems from overloading the network. If for example, by some error a packet was going around in a circular path, the TTL would eventually reach 0 and prevent a packet storm.

The thing is, ALL routing devices do this. OSes use standard TTLs. For example, let's say both your iPhone and laptop use 127 for the TTL. AT&T will receive packets from your iPhone with a TTL of 127, but since the packets from your laptop pass through your iPhone first, they arrive at AT&T with a TTL of 126. They can detect a tethered device this way.

What is the TTL of iPhone? 64
The default IP TTLs of popular MHDs differ from those of the most commonly used home OSs. The default TTL of iPhones/iPods and Macs is 64, Symbian uses 69, while Windows uses 128. This enables us to separate MHD usage from regular PC.

How to change the TTL of your tethered computer to **** AT&T in the ass

To modify the default TTL in Windows

Click Start - Search and type “regedit”. This launches the WIndows Registry.

In the registry, navigate to the following registry key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters] HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

\SYSTEM
\CurrentControlSet
\Services
\Tcpip
\Parameters

In the right pane, right-click and select New – DWORD (32-bit value) and set its name as “DefaultTTL” and set its value anything between “0? and “255?. The value sets the number of Hops or links the packet traverses before being discarded. You want 65 here

Last edited:

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Its the other way around, actually. Since there is no 4.3 JB yet, there is no way to unofficially tether on 4.3.

And what if they aren't using a web browser?

There has been a jailbreak for 4.3 since just about day one. It's a tethered JB but it's definitely a JB.

boostmiser

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2010
What is the TTL of iPhone? 64
The default IP TTLs of popular MHDs differ from those of the most commonly used home OSs. The default TTL of iPhones/iPods and Macs is 64, Symbian uses 69, while Windows uses 128. This enables us to separate MHD usage from regular PC.
So are you saying, if you only tether with MAC products (iPad, Macbook etc), they couldn't tell?

Terrified

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
Company In "Enforcing Rules You Agreed To" Shocker

I'm as much against data price double dipping as anyone, but no-one who has an ATT contract here has any right to complain whatsoever. People have such ridiculous expectations of self-entitlement.

You were offered a contract that explicitly stated you couldn't tether unless you had a tethering plan. If tethering was such a huge issue to you, then you had the option to ask about it at point of sale, and then turn down the contract if you didn't like the terms offered to you.

Also, complaining the TOS are archaic and that you never really agreed with them is nonsense. It's basically the equivalent of being a guy who takes a girl out on a date and agrees to pay. He sits and eats dinner, but then when the time comes to stump up, he just decides that, actually, the world's moved on since the days when a guy would pay for dinner. So, he eats his meal, and tells her he's not paying, because he never really agreed with that part anyway.

If you don't like the terms, you have every right to not accept the contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.