Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaayb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Virginia
Ok, i've decided to buy a refurbished 2010 MBP for college. it does everything I need it to, and wont cost me 2500$. But i'm wondering if i should spend the extra 200 bucks for applecare, i've bought it with almost every ipod i've ever had and it's done nothing to help me or save me any money. So i'm wondering should I just buy the laptop without warranty? or should I shell out the extra cash because the apple care is somehow better for the laptops.

jroller

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Charleston, SC
Every penny...especially for a laptop.

I never buy a laptop without coverage. They don't just sit on the desk, but are subject to a wide range of forces a desktop never encounters. Just makes sense and I have never regretted the purchase.

ansinkhh

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Applecare is definitely worth it!

I bought the early 2008 MBP and you'll be shocked at what was replaced in three years. Replaced two batteries. Logic board replaced twice. Charger. The whole top lid including the screen. Optical drive. Misc wiring (because of an unknown battery drain).

Whew! That would have cost me a pretty penny if I didn't have applecare.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I have SIX Macs, 2 Minis, 1 iBook, 2 13" MBPs, and a 24" iMac. None of them has ever had a hardware problem. I bought AppleCare on the first Mini and first iBook, but skipped it after that. I saved quite a bit by not buying applecare on the MBPs and iMacs.

It's all a gamble one way or another.

austin571

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2009
Knoxville
Totally worth it.
Got it on my desktop - within a year had to replace the logic board - free! - would have been 900.00
Got it on my iphone - Simm card reader broke - "new' one in 3 days!

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
In my experience, yes, it's worth it-- at least for notebooks (which is as far as my experience goes). For iPhones and iPads, it's less compelling. For desktops, I'd defer to those with experience.

Generally I'm against extended warranties, as they tend to be of little utility to the consumer yet highly profitable for the retailer. AppleCare is different-- it's well-priced, and the chances are good that you will encounter a covered issue by the third year, whether it's a failed hard disk or a keyboard gone mushy with long use.

Keep in mind that you don't have to buy it until just before the first anniversary of the machine's original purchase date-- that probably goes for refurbs as well, but check that. (Just don't miss that date!) So, if your wallet is empty after buying your machine, you have some time before having to cough up the AppleCare fee.

Also, note that AppleCare doesn't cover abuse or accidental damage. That's why it's less compelling for iPhones and iPads-- those devices are more likely to fail from being dropped or something.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I think it's worth it.

My son's MBP: Logic board, keyboard, display. Well worth it!
My iPad: no repairs and not even a call to AppleCare. Probably could have skipped AppleCare but don't mind.
My iPhone: no repairs and not even a call to AppleCare. Probably couold have skipped AppleCare but don't mind.
My Macbook: No repairs but numerous software issues over the first 2 years of ownership that led to 20+ calls to AppleCare. Well worth it!
My 1st gen Time Capsule: Replaced under the AppleCare for my Macbook. Well worth it!
My Mac Mini: No repairs but some software issues. Probably could have skipped AppleCare.

If you look back over all the money I've spent on AppleCare versus repair costs, I came out slightly ahead. To me it's worth it. I may not get AppleCare on future iPads, iPhones and Macs but I will continue to get it on any Macbooks, Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs. Definitely worth it.

Shawny D

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
Hell yeah it's worth it!

I bought a CPO iMac back in December '09, then put AppleCare on it just before the one-year warranty expired last year, hoping I'd never have to use it.

THEN, back in March, the monitor started giving off this distinct reddish-purple hue, with lines around the text. I brought it to my local Apple Store, who initially deemed the problem to be a faulty video-cable. However, the problem kept coming back and Apple attempted several times to fix the problem, even ultimately replacing the monitor itself(!), but to no avail.

They finally decided that it was cheaper to just replace the iMac entirely with a BRAND NEW 2010 mid-level model with better graphics (ATI 5670 with 512 MB memory vs. ATI 4670 with 256 MB memory) and a slightly better processor (Core i3 vs. Code 2 Duo). :D

Kinda wishing that the monitor didn't crap out until AFTER this past May's refresh, lol, but oh well. I figure if I didn't have AppleCare, the repair bill would've certainly been more than the cost I paid for the iMac!

On top of that, Apple paid me back the balance remaining on my AppleCare, which still had a little more than a year-and-a-half left of its 3-year coverage. So now I can apply that money towards covering the new iMac, because you better believe that I'm getting AppleCare for that one, too! ;)

fungus

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
@unclefungus
Even if you never have to use it, the piece of mind it buys is worth it I think. Also, don't buy it from eBay or from Apple. Try Amazon or one of the other authorized resellers on the web for the best price.

UpQuark

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
Zushi, Japan
I agree.. worth the money

I had a 2006 iMac and purchased AppleCare just about 1 week before the 1 year warranty passed. I called Applecare that week with a firewire issue I had been having on and off.... I had the daughter board replaced for FW support. New vid card as well. Def. worth the cost.

Goohfy

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
If you're going to be spending a lot anyways, definitely throw in a lil extra for the protection.

dataParser

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
Keep in mind that you don't have to buy it until just before the first anniversary of the machine's original purchase date-- that probably goes for refurbs as well, but check that. (Just don't miss that date!) So, if your wallet is empty after buying your machine, you have some time before having to cough up the AppleCare fee.

Also, note that AppleCare doesn't cover abuse or accidental damage. That's why it's less compelling for iPhones and iPads-- those devices are more likely to fail from being dropped or something.

So, you could wait until you get near the end of the first year to purchase applecare. That way if your mac is accidentally damaged during the first year, you won't have lost the money on applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.