Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget has a hands on with Firemint's Real Racing 2 HD with support for Apple's AirPlay mirroring feature coming in iOS 5. While you can mirror anything on the iPad's screen to your Apple TV, some game developers have been building in support to provide a different interface on the device itself vs. the screen. This is similar feature to what Nintendo's new Wii U console offers.
For this game (and we imagine many more to come), you use the iPad as the controller -- both while navigating through menus and in race mode -- while the game appears only on your TV (though the tablet does display some vitals, and a map of the track). There's noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay, which may be an issue for games where timing is important, such as Rock Band, but didn't seem to set us back while playing Firemint's racing game.
This ability to display different images on the device and the video out isn't actually new with iOS 5. Several iOS games such as Max Adventure and Chopper 2 offer a similar experience under iOS 4. But without AirPlay mirroring feature, users have needed a $29 VGA adapter to take advantage of this feature. In iOS 5, AirPlay mirror also offers this ability to those with Apple TVs.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/2890/

iOS 5 is in developer beta at the moment, and will be released to the public this fall.

Article Link: Dual Screen AirPlay Gaming Demo with Real Racing 2 HD

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very clever use of the whole platform.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Let me know how that works out for with ZERO tactile feedback. You cannot use an iPad or an Iphone as a controller without directly looking at it.*

Except where the iPad/iPhone is only used for accellerometer and gyroscopes.

Newfiebill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Stoked!

I think I just peed myself. Freaking AWSOME!
It might just be worth paying the $100.00 :apple: developer fee.:rolleyes:

IbisDoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm thinking a "noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay" is exactly what I want in a high speed racing game as I'm approaching turn 4.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm thinking a "noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay" is exactly what I want in a high speed racing game as I'm approaching turn 4.

Got to think that will be tightened up.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
While this will never be the primary way to play games on an iPad, it is very cool!

Kind of like the AppleTV is a console... only with all the brains and storage being in the wireless controller. Neat!

I’d certainly be tempted to spend the extra $70 on an AppleTV instead of a video adapter, if/when I want that ability for my iPad.

schenz

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Incident has two different images on the wirelessly controlling iPhone and on the controlled iPad, in perfect sync, although via Bluetooth. So only the AirPlay part is new, and neat at that.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
In case you guys are wondering these features are already built into Real Racing HD. We got iOS 5 installed on my friends iPad and AppleTV and fired up Real Racing and it worked perfectly.

Lag was minimal to non existent on a 802.11n network. Very impressed.

xwk88

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.
maybe that's the reason why...... I'd buy an apple tv for that maybe not for the gaming..... but movies would rock as long as I could mirror not only my ipad but my iphone and my mac to the tv(use cables now) or the ps3 for movies with a half a** setup of a server that crashes more often the not...... so yea this would be cool.... y would I wanna display something from my ipad on my computer if the content(minus the games and apps) prob came from that pc in the first place ???

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    955 KB · Views: 227

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Hmm, with the Apple TV being ARM based I do wonder if they couldn't offer the ability to offload some or all of the rendering onto the Apple TV itself, depending on its capabilities of course, in order to reduce lag by only sending the data needed to perform an update. Or, at a pinch, provide your own partial rendering mechanism so you'd still be streaming the video but only updating the pieces you need to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.