Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you plan on buying iPhone 5 even though specs aren't yet known?

• Total voters

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I'm curious what percentage of iPhone users (any model) are planning on buying the next product (be it iPhone 5, iPhone HD, etc, whatever they call it). I'm interested to see what the percentage of loyal customers seems to be who are interested in buying it before they even release photos or specs of it. :)

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
I want to upgrade and there is obviously a redesign on the way. This would only mean Apple will take more of my money. :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have had every iPhone thus far. This is the first year that I am seriously taking the "wait and see" approach. By that I mean that I was pretty much decided about "the next iPhone" before it was even officially announced. This year I am going to wait to hear what Apple officially unveils before I make my decision. I think those other OS's, namely Android, have caught up in fluidity and user experience having used those devices (some pretty extensively at this point). WP7 is a decent little OS too, and should be getting a huge boost in features, resolution, etc. with WP8 here this summer.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
The 4S, is the first iPhone I could see myself keeping for the contract duration.

With that said, it depends on how good the newness looks that'll make me want it.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
This poll isn't well constructed.

"Yes! I'm excited and will be ordering it online\in store right away at release." or "No!" don't cover every person's choice. Some people might want to wait to see if the iPhone 5 is worth upgrading to, or some people may plan on upgrading to it but can't when it first comes out. I would re-word your poll and add 2 more options.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Probably if the features and design are there. I buy outright anyway so no contract to worry about. I'll buy if it has more memory and features that my current phone doesn't. But if I don't buy I won't jump ship to Android or windows. I'll just wait for the next generation.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm saying no as I'm more than happy with my 4S and trying to get off the "must upgrade every year" mentality that has seen me have every iPhone since the original.
Don't know if I'll be able to resist, though :)

HimOffTheTelly

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
I love my iPhone 4 but I really need much more capacity so I'm waiting on the launch of the sixth gen iPhone to step up to the top line 64gb option (unless by then the storage options are bumped up to 32gb, 64gb and 128gb - one can always dream).

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I am waiting, my iPhone 4 has been great and I am hoping the 5 is a larger screen. That is my only qualm with it at this point. I use it for email, surfing and music, but it hurts in the email department when im on the go.

The Note has me interested but the few times i messed with a demo unit didnt sell me on it (jerky and kind of slow when doing certain things.) that and if its not out in June I might switch, might.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
This poll isn't well constructed.

"Yes! I'm excited and will be ordering it online\in store right away at release." or "No!" don't cover every person's choice. Some people might want to wait to see if the iPhone 5 is worth upgrading to, or some people may plan on upgrading to it but can't when it first comes out. I would re-word your poll and add 2 more options.

I think I was more wanting to see how excited people are for the iPhone 5 (or whatever the next would be). I'm the type of person who plans on ordering it. The funny part is I'm so bad that if the iPhone 5 were up for presale today, without any feature list or specs, I'd be first to line up to preorder. It's a great fanbase that Apple has built up, and I think there are a majority of iPhone users who would be right there in line with me.

It's rare to hear from an iPhone fan who says "naw, I don't want the next model" ... good for Apple. Can you imagine if Ford or Toyota had a customer base that lined up for the next model, regardless of it's features? LOL

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Please for the love of god let it be released on T-Mobile as well..

That'd be fantastic for consumers if it happens. I'd imagine it would, I bet the only reason the 4S wasn't was because at that time they were deep in merger, so it was somewhat irrelevant to put the extra effort into it.

trina27

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I'm not saying yes and I'm not saying no.

Depending on the features I'll consider it. Especially considering I'm ready to upgrade from my 3GS.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I have an iPhone 4 that's doing just fine. If the next iPhone isn't 4+", I'm done with iPhones. I doubt I even wait that long with the great HTC Ones coming out. Those are starting to make the iPhone look very dated indeed. I hope Apple's designers are paying attention this time.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For me, it depends on what the upgrade is like. I didn't get the 4S because I didn't feel it was a significant enough change from my 4.

BBQ BOY

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
I voted yes, but, like a few people here I will wait to see what the new features are. If the phone does not have a larger screen, then more that likely, I will not get the 5. I may for the first time since the 3G go with another company. I'm an Apple fan boy, but, the iPhone is now boring to me and not as functional for emails and text messages like other phones I have played with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.