Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If there is no iMac refresh by the end of July, what will you do?

• Keep waiting, I gotta have it no matter how long it takes.

Votes: 133 65.5%
  • Bail, if Apple can't get me the hardware I want I'll find it somewhere else.

Votes: 70 34.5%

• Total voters

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, building a Hack is pointless (it almost ends up more expensive). I'll probably just get a retina MBP...

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
My Hack cost $1155. How is that more expensive? Unless you don't have a monitor.

I have an ATI Radeon 6870 2GB. It has a minidp port and I can use our old 2009 27" iMac as a monitor.

Edit so people stop complaining I didn't include monitor costs:
The iMac with the 3.4 i7 and 2GB 6970M is $2299. That's the 1TB HDD 4GB RAM version. Even if I bought the Apple Cinema Display for $949 off Amazon I'd still come in at around $2100. I have an i7 2700K 3.5, 16GB RAM, the 6870 2GB, 4TB HDD, a 120GB mSATA SSD for OSX and a 128 SSD for Windows. Now compare.

Last edited:

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Well, I don't want a laptop, don't want to build my own and definitely don't want to go back to Windows (have enough of that at work). So, I'm going to hold on to my current machine for as long as it remains practical and then think about getting a new one regardless of spec upgrade. But, I'm thinking the thing will last longer than the wait.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Im gonna wait a bit longer....eventually I'll probably buy a windows machine if nothing happens. If a new mac has not surfaced by august-september, I'm gonna take that as a sign that Apple decided to neglect their desktops to a extent which I cannot rely on...and then its no point in having a mac anymore.

I cannot only work with laptops.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
My Hack cost $1155. How is that more expensive? Unless you don't have a monitor.

I have an ATI Radeon 6870 2GB. It has a minidp port and I can use our old 2009 27" iMac as a monitor.

I don't have a monitor and if I get a hack I'd want a 1440p monitor and a quality LianLi/Silverstone case. Also, Ivy Bridge and Kepler GPU (anything less than iMac's 2011 specs would be pointless)...

Grantmb77

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Thuderbolt Display

Buy a Thunderbolt display for my mac mini. Then consider an iMac purchase when it becomes available.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Let's face it, when dealing with Apple they do whatever they want, whenever they want. Its all about them.

Once it's released they'll say the words the fanboys love to hear & the Apple apologists will chime in. Sales will soar & Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

It's been that way, and it's not going to change. Apples riding high on all the cash they've sucked out of our wallets. They've got this down cold :eek:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Let's face it, when dealing with Apple they do whatever they want, whenever they want. Its all about them.

Once it's released they'll say the words the fanboys love to hear & the Apple apologists will chime in. Sales will soar & Apple laughs all the way to the bank.

It's been that way, and it's not going to change. Apples riding high on all the cash they've sucked out of our wallets. They've got this down cold :eek:

We will see, I work just as well on a PC, I just prefer mac. But if I cannot have a decent desktop rig, I will eventually buy a PC. And I think I'm not alone on this.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
I don't have a monitor and if I get a hack I'd want a 1440p monitor and a quality LianLi/Silverstone case. Also, Ivy Bridge and Kepler GPU (anything less than iMac's 2011 specs would be pointless)...

2011 iMacs don't have Ivy Bridge nor Kepler GPU.

I have an i7 2700K 3.5, 16GB RAM, the 6870 2GB, 4TB HDD, a 120GB mSATA SSD for OSX and a 128 SSD for Windows. My case is from Corsair and has USB3. It's the best case I've ever built into. I built my own Airport card for $15.

You lose the monitor but gain upgradability. The iMac gets Kepler GPU, I install a Kepler GPU. Big deal. You want Ivy Bridge? It's only $10 more than the CPU I bought.

The iMac with the 3.4 i7 and 2GB 6970M is $2299. That's the 1TB HDD 4GB RAM version.

Even if I bought the Apple Cinema Display for $949 off Amazon I'd still come in at around $2100.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
We will see, I work just as well on a PC, I just prefer mac. But if I cannot have a decent desktop rig, I will eventually buy a PC. And I think I'm not alone on this.

Ok heck yeah, I do too, and have done so year after year.

While I'll be the first to admit I used to prefer OS X by quite a bit, I'm still having mixed feelings about the integration of iOS "features".

Where once I looked forward to each & every OS X upgrade with great delight, even though there's always some bugs (with any OS) now I dread each announcement because I know it will be diluted & cluttered with iOS elements.

As much as I try to get into acceptance it still bothers the heck out of me. I've been a hard core Mac enthusiast for too long to walk away at this point, it's just sad they've stripped all the fun out so as to Wow, the newbies.

I totally understand they're hooked on the power, control & money, yet for those like myself that stood by them during Apples darkest hours, the iToyz crap is no reward.

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Same. I have no qualms about getting a PC, though I prefer OS X. I'd be running linux as the primary OS on a PC anyway. Windows (IMHO) is a gaming platform. There are much better OS's out there than Windows.

I'm waiting until ML, then I'll be upgrading my machine. I'm not waiting on Apple after that.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

How is it people building Hack's disregard the cost of the monitor... as if your 27" 2009 iMac was free? The iMac still has value, probably in the $1000 range. So now you have over $2,000+ in a machine running as a hack or a grand in an older gen iMac. Either way your not running a complete machine for $1,155.

I don't disagree you can build a hack with higher end GPU's for sure, but in the long run for me I can't go back to cheap TN panels after using a 27" IPS iMac.

Last edited:

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
How is it people building Hack's disregard the cost of the monitor... as if your 27" 2009 iMac was free? The iMac still has value, probably in the $1000 range. So now you have over $2,000+ in a machine running as a hack or a grand in an older gen iMac. Either way your not running a complete machine for $1,155.

I don't disagree you can build a hack with higher end GPU's for sure, but in the long run for me I can't go back to cheap TN panels after using a 27" IPS iMac.

That's a choice, but like I said, the iMac with the 3.4 i7 and 2GB 6970M is $2299. That's the 1TB HDD 4GB RAM version. Even if I bought the Apple Cinema Display for $949 off Amazon I'd still come in at around $2100. I have an i7 2700K 3.5, 16GB RAM, the 6870 2GB, 4TB HDD, a 120GB mSATA SSD for OSX and a 128 SSD for Windows. Now compare.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a

You using a good iMac, as a monitor?

Better to sell the iMac, and buy a monitor. Then you'll know the real cost. You have not included the "opportunity cost" of not selling the iMac.

To get equivalent prices, add the cost of a 27" IPC monitor. Dell and Samsung sell them, they cost ... well, a Samsung 27" with an equivalent to IPS technology should cost around $800 ... perhaps a lot more ... the DELL is comparable: Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen Monitor with PremierColor costs:
Starting Price $999.00. So your system cost $2,254. No wonder you have not bought a monitor. And, include in the cost, the depreciation. Your 2009 iMac 27", is still worth quite a few dollars. How much will you PC be worth when its 3 years old?

And that's the problem ... Hackintosh's just are not cheap, most especially, if one includes a decent monitor.

I wonder how nice it would be, if Dell came to Apple, and said would you mind, if a couple of our desktops could also run OS X? Apple might be better off.

I doubt Apple make much money at all from selling the big iMac ... perhaps that is why they upgrade it so rarely ...

Rayxxy

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2012
Ill just wait a bit longer, and if it doesn't go, i think ill buy the old one or something. But im sure ill be waiting until, its out. And if it got realeased like.... Close to where the time i bought it.... Oh, you know how i feel.

----------

Ill wait and wait and wait, but if its too long, i will find some thing.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
You using a good iMac, as a monitor?

I take it you replied before reading the rest of the thread. I should edit that first post so people stop doing that. Like I said twice already, the iMac with the 3.4 i7 and 2GB 6970M is $2299. That's the 1TB HDD 4GB RAM version. Even if I bought the Apple Cinema Display for $949 off Amazon I'd still come in at around $2100. I have an i7 2700K 3.5, 16GB RAM, the 6870 2GB, 4TB HDD, a 120GB mSATA SSD for OSX and a 128 SSD for Windows. Now compare.

How much will you PC be worth when its 3 years old?

It will be worth more than an iMac to me if I just have to upgrade the GPU and CPU. You can't do that on an iMac. You can't even upgrade the RAM on the new MBP. There's a chance this will also happen to the iMac. I can add 32GB RAM to my Hackintosh.

Ivy Bridge: I can just swap the CPU.
New Kepler GPU: I can slap on a new one.
Beats buying another $2299 iMac.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
That's a choice, but like I said, the iMac with the 3.4 i7 and 2GB 6970M is $2299. That's the 1TB HDD 4GB RAM version. Even if I bought the Apple Cinema Display for $949 off Amazon I'd still come in at around $2100. I have an i7 2700K 3.5, 16GB RAM, the 6870 2GB, 4TB HDD, a 120GB mSATA SSD for OSX and a 128 SSD for Windows. Now compare.

Fair enough. In 12 to 18 months I can (and have many times) sell an iMac for 75% to 80% of it's new/retail cost. No "PC" buyer will buy old tech anywhere near those figures. Cost is not always just what you pay up front for hardware. IMO Apple has marketed their product and it holds it's value much better and longer than any hack will. The market for a hack is someone fairly tech savy to deal with updates and upgrades. The market for PC parts is usually gamers that want the latest and greatest leaving 12 to 18 month old parts worth very little.

This of course is just my experience having built my own and many "gaming rigs" for people over the past 20+ years. I've only dealt with Apple computers and iMacs for about 6 or 7. I don't disagree you can initially get more bang for your buck in a hack setup, but my own experience I can spend less over 5 years to stay current buying Apple gear vs PC parts.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

A decent desktop rig for what? Gaming? Wouldn't you be better off with a windows machine for that anyway?

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
but my own experience I can spend less over 5 years to stay current buying Apple gear vs PC parts.

At this rate I doubt it. Maybe if Apple stopped selling old technology for more than current technology prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.