Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If there is no iMac refresh by the end of July, what will you do?

• Keep waiting, I gotta have it no matter how long it takes.

Votes: 133 65.5%
  • Bail, if Apple can't get me the hardware I want I'll find it somewhere else.

Votes: 70 34.5%

• Total voters

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
It will be worth more than an iMac to me if I just have to upgrade the GPU and CPU. You can't do that on an iMac. You can't even upgrade the RAM on the new MBP. There's a chance this will also happen to the iMac. I can add 32GB RAM to my Hackintosh.

Ivy Bridge: I can just swap the CPU.
New Kepler GPU: I can slap on a new one.
Beats buying another $2299 iMac.

Oh, I've thought the same. But, your premise here may well be false.

Because the upgrade you are counting on, may not work.

And if you have data and programs and pictures on the mac side, you'll have to port everything across to windows, if the things don't work.

And yes, I know about motherboards and CPUs. So next year, buy something like an upgraded ASUS Sabertooth X79 Motherboard, far from high end, and it will cost $350. Then add the CPU, probably $250 to $300. That's $650.

And - will it run OS-X.

And - it won't run games properly.

What's the point of Windows? For OS X users, its benefit is mostly for GAMES. And for those, you need a PC. We have at home twin GTX overclocked Asus 570 cards. That is a typical game setup. What is the point of having Windows - if you use Mac OS - and not being able to play a game properly?

So, if you can tell me a motherboard and CPU combination, that will run those two GTX 570s and run OSX, please tell me.

And eventually, a windows machine may not work the latest OS X. Right now, there are serious issues with security and Thunderbolt And following Ivy Bridge, comes Haswell, and Haswell will support natively Thunderbolt. What issues will their be with Thunderbolt and Ivy Bridge??? Let alone security if you have Thunderbolt (which directly accesses the CPU) running on a Windows platform.

Sorry, I am not so sure. For games, it may be simpler and cheaper, just to go AMD and get a couple of good screen cards, and buy a mac. And keep the mac for 5 years - they last that long, no worries. One cannot say that about Windows, which one seems to need to update every couple of years. For my place, I can grab another motherboard with 4 SLI slots, and buy a couple more 570s, to have Quad SLI. That'll handle tomorrow's games I reckon. When we have to, we can. But trying to do both ends up with huge compromises, from monitors, updates for the OSX side, and lack of potential fulfilled on the Win Games side.

and its not as if computers cost much these days. Even macs seem damn cheap these days. Just a shame they are not upgrading them as regularly as people whose old Macs are past it, who really want today's archecture today, because they've got old macs which need to be replaced. And they intend keeping their new iMac computer for 5 years with lots of use. Cannot say that about a clone running Windows ... And if one wants to do that ... surely Linux is the solution!

Last edited:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
What I do with my iMac, I don't really need to upgrade so I can wait.

It's just been over 4 years and I'm bored. LOL

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
Same. I have no qualms about getting a PC, though I prefer OS X. I'd be running linux as the primary OS on a PC anyway. Windows (IMHO) is a gaming platform. There are much better OS's out there than Windows.
Funny, Windows does better in the enterprise than Xbox OR Playstation.
Seriously though. I talk with tehhead of our grpahics dept all the time about Apple stuff. We both wish there was a third option between Windoze 8 which looks like a kids book, and OS X Mountain Lion, which looks like an iPad.
We just want a reasonable GUI, with a robust OS that has pro level network and security features, and here is the killer part, it has to hve the apps. This is the reason Windows has done so well. Microsoft Office and Adobe CS cover 90% of all the work anyone needs to get done on a computer.
Linux (UBUNTU) would be great, except the apps really arent there. I'm sure some will say they are doing pro work using gimp and Open Office. But I simply cant see any of our guys being able to sustain their workload with those apps.
Apple needs to stop dumbing down it's OS. What is the deal with hiding the Library and turning off a lot of CLI hacks that fixed things in SL?

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I take it you replied before reading the rest of the thread. I should edit that first post so people stop doing that. Like I said twice already, the iMac with the 3.4 i7 and 2GB 6970M is $2299. That's the 1TB HDD 4GB RAM version. Even if I bought the Apple Cinema Display for $949 off Amazon I'd still come in at around $2100. I have an i7 2700K 3.5, 16GB RAM, the 6870 2GB, 4TB HDD, a 120GB mSATA SSD for OSX and a 128 SSD for Windows. Now compare.

It will be worth more than an iMac to me if I just have to upgrade the GPU and CPU. You can't do that on an iMac. You can't even upgrade the RAM on the new MBP. There's a chance this will also happen to the iMac. I can add 32GB RAM to my Hackintosh.

Ivy Bridge: I can just swap the CPU.
New Kepler GPU: I can slap on a new one.
Beats buying another $2299 iMac.

^ Hey Buffsteria! Not to sound too ignorant but isn't the main complaint with Hackintoshs that they are a pain in the ass to update the OS in? As in... if Apple releases an update for OSX you have to either jump through loops to make it work or simply not update your system at all?

I've heard lots of people who have done the Hackintosh route complain about that being the #1 reason why they won't do it again.

What's your take on it?
Thx dude!

jmhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
^ Hey Buffsteria! Not to sound too ignorant but isn't the main complaint with Hackintoshs that they are a pain in the ass to update the OS in? As in... if Apple releases an update for OSX you have to either jump through loops to make it work or simply not update your system at all?

I've heard lots of people who have done the Hackintosh route complain about that being the #1 reason why they won't do it again.

What's your take on it?
Thx dude!

Hackintoshes can be high maintenance. Once you get the PC hardware working with it, you run the risk of breaking that delicate balance with OS X updates. It's a lot less hassle than it used to be, but it's still far from perfect.

I recommend if you are seriously considering a Hackintosh, find a pre-made set of hacks with an easy installer--then buy the hardware recommended for that particular pre-made. Most of these pre-made hack bundlers have a small following and community so you'll have help if an update breaks a hack, or better yet let the folks who LIKE to fight with things like that try it first and then put together instructions for everyone else. ;)

I personally don't think it's worth the hassle, so I choose to keep at least 1 Mac around for non-gaming use.

Buffsteria

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012

What's your take on it?
Thx dude!

I'm typing this from my Hackintosh. I think it's worth it...it was bumpy in the beginning but now I've even convinced my husband that a Hackintosh is a good thing. The ideal would be a 12 core Mac Pro and we're saving for one but if that doesn't work out we might be getting him a Hackintosh. The deciding factor will be finances a month or so from now.

More on topic, I haven't experienced anything breaking since the last time we updated Lion but then again there hasn't been a huge update from 10.7.4. Mountain Lion will probably break something but there's this utility we use called Multibeast that fixes everything. Sound works, our home-assembled AirPort card works flawlessly, we control our Apple Cinema Display through System Preferences...all peachy.

Follow the recommended builds and there shouldn't be any headaches. The new Ivy Bridge CustoMac builds are coming soon, too.

Scythe5

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
That poll ran already some time back, but didn't include an option for folks like me who will build a PC instead if it comes to it...hence this somewhat redundant poll. ;)

It's official - my waiting is over. I'll be building a PC and have started ordering parts. Hopefully, I'll be putting it together this weekend. Good luck to everyone that has been waiting - I hope Apple delivers something great later this month.:)

For those of you going my route....newegg has the ASUS GTX680-DCT2 back in stock. :D

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
I'm typing this from my Hackintosh. I think it's worth it...it was bumpy in the beginning but now I've even convinced my husband that a Hackintosh is a good thing. The ideal would be a 12 core Mac Pro and we're saving for one but if that doesn't work out we might be getting him a Hackintosh. The deciding factor will be finances a month or so from now.

More on topic, I haven't experienced anything breaking since the last time we updated Lion but then again there hasn't been a huge update from 10.7.4. Mountain Lion will probably break something but there's this utility we use called Multibeast that fixes everything. Sound works, our home-assembled AirPort card works flawlessly, we control our Apple Cinema Display through System Preferences...all peachy.

Follow the recommended builds and there shouldn't be any headaches. The new Ivy Bridge CustoMac builds are coming soon, too.

^ Hey thanx for the info! I've definitely been weighing my options lately. I think I'm going to hold out til' October. If nothing comes by then... I'm going the Hackintosh route.

I really, really appreciate your input! Thx again!

Jay Jay

jmhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
It's official - my waiting is over. I'll be building a PC and have started ordering parts. Hopefully, I'll be putting it together this weekend. Good luck to everyone that has been waiting - I hope Apple delivers something great later this month.:)

For those of you going my route....newegg has the ASUS GTX680-DCT2 back in stock. :D

Good for you! I'm close to doing the same, but have a few more weeks patience left in me...plus the GTX 660 isn't out yet, and that's going to be my sweet spot since I'm not all that hardcore a gamer anymore.

A few more weeks and either the iMac will be out or the GTX 660, we'll see which wins me over. ;)

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
I'm also typing this from my hackintosh (2008 quad core build) that I created last July. It runs 10.7.4 as fast and smooth as my MBP. Same smooth experience, no problems. I use myHack.
This was the first time that I'd ever used Mac OSX and I liked it so much that I bought a MBP in November.
I convinced my parents to buy an iMac and have had them waiting and waiting for this update for the past few months! I hope Apple hurry up.

shatteringlass

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
I am a student and I've bene waiting for one month now. Sold my iMac7,1 for 480€ (600$) after about 5 years of usage. I thought I was waiting but definitely I cannot wait til october when my lessons will begin. I could use a little spec bump for I am quite a gamer, but I have the opportunity of getting a 8-month-old 21.5" entry level 2011 iMac for 700€ (875$). What is your advice?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

I tried upgrading a PC after a couple of years but the hardware was out-of-date could not get a new CPU which should mean a new main board, RAM and GPU, cheaper to just get a new PC.

It's unlikely the iMac will ever have non upgradeable RAM like the MBPr and MBA. There is no need for a desktop to be that think or light. If they can manage to find room in a Mac Mini to allow users to change the RAM then why would they remove that feature in the iMac?

topocalypse

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2011
Get Dell U2711 (2560*1440 27" monitor) and hook my 15" mbp to it.
(And also hook my gaming pc i built on it)

mojothemonkey

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2005
Fair enough. In 12 to 18 months I can (and have many times) sell an iMac for 75% to 80% of it's new/retail cost. No "PC" buyer will buy old tech anywhere near those figures. Cost is not always just what you pay up front for hardware. IMO Apple has marketed their product and it holds it's value much better and longer than any hack will. The market for a hack is someone fairly tech savy to deal with updates and upgrades. The market for PC parts is usually gamers that want the latest and greatest leaving 12 to 18 month old parts worth very little.

This of course is just my experience having built my own and many "gaming rigs" for people over the past 20+ years. I've only dealt with Apple computers and iMacs for about 6 or 7. I don't disagree you can initially get more bang for your buck in a hack setup, but my own experience I can spend less over 5 years to stay current buying Apple gear vs PC parts.

Despite your claims to be an avid PC builder (which I call into question), I'm glad you're not touching my machine. "current"?? Maybe if you use "current" in its broadest sense. I suppose an Intel Atom processor is "current" too, right?

If you're talking gaming, the mobile GPU's that they throw in the iMacs cannot compete with similarly priced desktop cards. A top GPU from years ago can still crush the current 6970M offering in the iMac. ... so you also need to upgrade less in relation to performance.

By your calculations, even assuming your best figure of 80% retail for a gaming-capable imac (in this case, the $2000 model with the 6970M), you're looking at losing $400 every year.

With a proper windows gaming rig, you only need to replace the GPU (not CPU) for most cycles, as a decedent CPU will outpace your video cards for several years to come with no real reflection in graming framerates for upgrading. I would dare say that you could get by with 1 core system for 4-5 years, with 2-3 GPU updates, and each of them in the mid-high range, with all of your numbers beating the iMac offerings.... all for less $ at the end of the 5 year period.

So lets keep it relative, Mr. Smarty Pants. Or go back and check your numbers.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Wirelessly posted

I'll be bailing as well. Been waiting since January and fell into this rumours site when every week it was speculated a new iMac was right around the corner.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Get Dell U2711 (2560*1440 27" monitor) and hook my 15" mbp to it.
(And also hook my gaming pc i built on it)

Exactly my plan for my next upgrade. But I'm planning to use Thunderbolt Display instead. Curious though, can we use Thunderbolt Display to 2 computers with TB port?

I have 2011 iMac and it's been problematic for me, especially with the display (smudged and dirty every 4 - 5 months, effin painful to look at). But I'm holding on since I have AppleCare so I am enjoying it while it lasts and going to sell it just before AppleCare about to be expired. Stupid purchase, I admit .. oh well

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
Insane that this rumor mill is going like this every day since January!!!
I guess that after July I will stop reading this site and simply wait for apple to release whatever...

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Will you keep waiting, or jump ship?

To windows 8? I don't think so.

I switched from a i7 2.6ghz Quad core, with Geforce GTX 260 and 6GB of ram to a Mac Mini with i5 dual core 2.3gHz, Intel HD 3000, and 8GB of Ram.

Why? Because PC gameing has been on a decline for a while. Mac App store has brought about a rennasance to MAC as a game plat form. The current iMac is well capable of playing games. But Mac OS X has more to offer than just games. Most Mac professionals are Developers or Content creators, somthing that Macs were superior to PC for like ever. For PC just create another boring FPS or RTS sequel.

It seems the only purpose for a PC gaming rig now days is to run benchmarks so the uber geek can post his results on line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.