Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If there is no iMac refresh by the end of July, what will you do?

• Keep waiting, I gotta have it no matter how long it takes.

Votes: 133 65.5%
  • Bail, if Apple can't get me the hardware I want I'll find it somewhere else.

Votes: 70 34.5%

• Total voters

jlmcclellan

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
I'll more than likely buy a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro if we get no iMac relief this month. I won't be happy about it though :(

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I will go with the current model unless there are official information for a release early next month or something.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
I've been slowly replacing my aging Mac Minis with iMacs, and I'm at the point where I'm ready to buy. Although the current iMac does everything I really need to do, a spec bumped iMac might work better. Since I do a little work with Adobe Premiere, I'm curious what the new video cards will be and if they will be Cuda enabled. Plus, USB 3 would be nice.

PantherCreek

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Where is the "Buy an iMac" option? I just bought mine 5 months ago now... and it's the best computer I've ever owned, don't think I'll be disappointed in it anytime soon.

Mark D

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
The same thing I would do if there is a new iMac...buy an iMac on July 25 and not think anything more about it :cool:

Either one will be worlds better than my Blowshiba laptop. I've never had a powerful desktop computer, buyers remorse does not exist for me in the current Apple lineup. Just figured since it's a week away it wouldn't hurt to see if I could get faster USB.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I've decided on trying a hackintosh. Ivy Bridge i7, Gigabyte Z77 mobo, 16GB RAM, and a GTX670. I was able to get all four for under $800, and the rest I already own (including Dell's 27" S-IPS monitor).

Last edited:

jmhart

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I've decided on trying a hackintosh. Ivy Bridge i7, Gigabyte Z77 mobo, 16GB RAM, and a GTX580. I was able to get all four for under $800, and the rest I already own (including Dell's 27" S-IPS monitor).

As long as you buy from a given hack bundler's compatability list it's extremely easy initially. You still have to watch out for updates breaking stuff occasionally however.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
As long as you buy from a given hack bundler's compatability list it's extremely easy initially. You still have to watch out for updates breaking stuff occasionally however.

Yeah that's the sense I'm getting. I'm pretty savvy with a computer overall, so I think I'm up to the task. I've been reading a lot on tonymacx86 and watching youtube vids, and I've bought verified, compatible hardware. Worst case scenario - I'll part it out and sell it, then buy a 27" iMac which will have been updated by then :D

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
I'm pretty savvy with a computer overall, so I think I'm up to the task. I've been reading a lot on tonymacx86 and watching youtube vids, and I've bought verified, compatible hardware. Worst case scenario - I'll part it out and sell it, then buy a 27" iMac which will have been updated by then :D

Time better spent than waiting here. :)

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I've changed my mind on the matter.

My usage is video and photo editing, video encoding, and personal documents and web use. The video work is what requires most of the performance muscle. But my computer gets most of its workout from being a media server for several AppleTV3 devices throughout the house and being a content source for my wife and three kids.

I have decided that all this frustration isn't worth it just so I can have a marginal performance gain in an activity that isn't even the majority of what the computer is used for. At the same time, I absolutely refuse on principle to pay 2012 RightNowBucks for 2011 LastYear'sTech at full ticket. It will not happen.

My business required a media server with similar functionality and I found that a Mac Mini with a thunderbolt RAID is serving as well as I needed, or near enough. It sucks that I should have to compromise in ANY WAY to stay with the Apple experience, but damn it I don't control Apple's cryptic and arbitrary release schedule, and yet I don't care to go back to Windows. (Linux is out of the question because I like to use my tech, not work on it.)

If the 2012 iMac doesn't land by month's end, I will either buy a 2012 Mac Mini if they release THAT -- heck, we don't even know about that one yet either! -- or I will buy a USED/REFURB or other means so that Apple collects zero dollars, 2011 iMac or more likely 2011 Mac Mini, keeping costs down and buying a bullcrap monitor at Costco that's "good enough" because it will cost me $150 and not $1000 like Apple's absurd TB display. I will finish things out with a TB RAID of my own for the media. And then DONE. I won't buy a new Apple computer for at least 5 years so I won't be chasing this refresh crap ever again. At the 3.5-year mark I will consider whether I even need to continue with Mac at that point, depending whether we are all on iOS Toys at that point and have no real tools to get work done. I'm sure they will refresh sometime between 3.5 years and 5 years out, and if they care to provide a product worth having and not just stupid mobility crap, I won't wait; I'll pull the trigger early. But if it's all portables by then, forget it. A refurb iPad 2 is good enough for that usage, honestly, and should be for the foreseeable.

Screw you, Apple. We needed the new iMac three months ago. At this point you have exactly one chance to make good and that's a new iMac on July 25th. No ifs, ands, or buts. It's late but it will be here and we'll find a way to be happy about it again. You miss this one, no money for you.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
I'll wait until Aug 31st - if no new intel surfaces between now and then I'll probably just get an Air.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I'll keep waiting until I want a new computer.

My current 2011 has just received a RAID0 SSD upgrade so that aspect is plenty quick enough.

I do not max out the current quad core chip during any of the work I do.

The graphics chip still plays any games I occasionally play.

I have my Firewire and Thunderbolt externals.

At least in my case, there's no particular reason why I need to upgrade, I'm actually quite happy with my setup.
Heck, my iPad or MacBook Air get used more than half of my time.

Maybe a 2013 model when they come around if they change it visually...

Atisha

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
After tracking these forums and waiting since Nov. 2011 (saving for comp), waiting for April for new iMacs (already the longest refresh), waiting until May, then WWDC in June, and now it's one week from July 24... I don't even know what to say. It's an abusive relationship where you think your partner will change, and they don't. Even if it is released next week I hear the word "PC, PC" in my mind more and more.

If they don't want to make desktop hardware then let someone else do it, and just update your OS like Microsoft. When you have exclusive control over all desktops for your OS, don't tell me you're spending all your money on a "f-cking telephone. Get real." - David Lynch

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
I'll wait until Aug 31st - if no new intel surfaces between now and then I'll probably just get an Air.

What are you going to do on Aug. 31, when "reliable information" surfaces citing a Sept. 20 release of a new iMac ;)

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I'm considering getting a top spec non-retina MacBook Pro if there's no update. What's better, the 6970M in the current iMac or the 650M in the MacBook Pro?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'll keep waiting. My 2008 iMac still works great and meets my needs. Eventually I'll upgrade and I have no doubt that when that time comes the iMac line will still be going strong.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
UK
As I do not have a Mac of any sort I have no option but to wait.

Considering I only want an iMac to run Logic,if there is no upgrade this year, I will probably go for a base iMac.

Alan

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Put me down for Option 3: Buy the current model.

The current model has a Geekbench score over 3 times that of my 2006 iMac, which still handles Creative Suite, Logic, Finale and all the other apps I run.
If I go for the SSD, it'll be stupid-fast and keep up with everything I throw at it for several years.

I'll probably be annoyed if the rumours of an October refresh are true -- but I've been waiting for an update since February.

For over six months, I've denied myself a much better machine than I have now, on the promise of a slightly better version than the one I haven't bought yet!

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Put me down for Option 3: Buy the current model. The current model has a Geekbench score over 3 times that of my 2006 iMac, which still handles Creative Suite, Logic, Finale and all the other apps I run.
If I go for the SSD, it'll be stupid-fast and keep up with everything I throw at it for several years.

You're going to pay Apple's 2011 price for the SSD option?! :eek:

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
For over six months, I've denied myself a much better machine than I have now, on the promise of a slightly better version than the one I haven't bought yet!

I hear what you are saying and would ordinarily agree, but I think the upgrade to USB 3 is worth waiting for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.