Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Especially if the Mini2 is $329, I would not. I assume it would include an upgrade to the processor as well.

What would be the market for an Ipad5 as you see it?

Prawnstar69

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2012
Im gonna be buying the ipad 5 128gb, i want a bigger screen since i got an iPhone and imac 24".. the 10inch ipad would be perfect and it is also faster than the mini

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I doubt that a retina based mini will be the same price as the non-retina model. For the sake of discussion lets say that is the case. The major difference between the two models then will be size.

Another question is battery life, chipset and thinkness. Will a retina based mini be as thin as it is now, have similar battery life and how will the performance be pushing all those pixels.

Many people prefer the larger form factor as its easier on the eyes. I personally prefer the small tablet but I can see others liking the larger model.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I just prefer the larger screen model, easy to read, etc.

The mini is still too big to be put in my pockets ,
so no big advantage in carrying it vs a full size one.

I've had them all up to this one, but now the 4 does all I need,
Will not upgrade it this time.

Think Apple has an issue going forward as more and more will feel that way.
Same with my current Android phone, its a keeper now too.

The tech craze is fading here... was fun while it lasted.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
Think Apple has an issue going forward as more and more will feel that way.
Same with my current Android phone, its a keeper now too.

The tech craze is fading here... was fun while it lasted.

I disagree. I think the iPad 5 will be a gigantic upgrade for anyone with an iPad 1 or 2. A lot of people don't upgrade to every new iteration like you do. A lot of people keep their devices for 2+ years before even considering upgrading. Now if you have a 3 or 4 it probably won't be worth it. I have an iPad 2 and I can't wait for a retina screen and better front and rear cameras. I also look forward to the bezels being reduced making the device just a bit smaller.

The iPad 3 and 4 could definitely lose some weight, would think by now they'd have the technology to shrink down a lot of the components making the device lighter. Would love the feeling I had when I picked up my girlfriends iPhone 5 compared to my 4S. I considered it a huge reduction in weight. If the iPad 5 could do that I would be really happy.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010

Me. Someone who doesn't need the extra portability of the Mini because we use our iPads 95% of the time at home, on the couch or in bed. Like someone else mentioned, it's not like the Mini fits in your pocket like the Nexus 7 does so it's not THAT much more portable than the full size iPad.

I personally read graphic novels/comics and a lot of websites on my iPad so the extra screen size is a huge help especially since it displays most graphic novels at 1:1 unlike the Mini that shrinks them down and you have to pinch and zoom a lot.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
I disagree. I think the iPad 5 will be a gigantic upgrade for anyone with an iPad 1 or 2. ....

Was just speaking for myself.
I agree anyone with a 1 or 2 would find a discounted 4 or 5 a nice upgrade indeed.

I'm joining those who sit out the yearly upgrades,
my iPad and phone are like my TV or computer now,
work's great and no reason to run out and get the next one.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
I'm joining those who sit out the yearly upgrades,
my iPad and phone are like my TV or computer now,
work's great and no reason to run out and get the next one.

Yea I know what you mean, tough to resist but just makes sense to skip a few iterations. I'm just desperate to get rid of my 2 as the screen is ghosting pretty bad, figure it's definitely time to dump it.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I think there would be a lot of people who would want the larger real estate of the 5; I don't think the mini form factor is the be all end all for everyone, though it certainly was for me. For me, the larger iPad was a non-starter, but I bought the mini the day it came out.

It's hard to imagine how a retina mini can come in at $329, but it's almost equally hard to imagine Apple moving away from that price point.

Regarding thickness, you know how there's that seemingly unnecessary gap between display and touch sensor? I wonder if that could help ease the difference in thickness required for the larger battery.

Regards,
Tom

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
My wife uses the mini mostly for reading and playing some games, and we both use the iPad 3 for surfing and games.

They each have their own place in our household, and I imagine many many more households.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I will be getting one. While the portability of the mini is nice, I mostly prefer a larger screen and am already used to the current size. I currently have a 3 and will likely go the 5 - it will be nice to not need 2 different connectors for my iPhone and iPad.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
There's a market for the bigger iPad for sure, particularly in sales and other contexts where a nice big screen is a prerequisite. But let's be honest - the mini will always outsell its big brother. Partly because of portability and partly because of price.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Just out of interest, surely with the Surface Pro readily available at the iPad 5 launch, there is no reason to buy the iPad?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Just out of interest, surely with the Surface Pro readily available at the iPad 5 launch, there is no reason to buy the iPad?
Umm..weight, battery life, design, OS, a cooler ARM processor (or something like that), price.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
Me. Someone who doesn't need the extra portability of the Mini because we use our iPads 95% of the time at home, on the couch or in bed. Like someone else mentioned, it's not like the Mini fits in your pocket like the Nexus 7 does so it's not THAT much more portable than the full size iPad.

I personally read graphic novels/comics and a lot of websites on my iPad so the extra screen size is a huge help especially since it displays most graphic novels at 1:1 unlike the Mini that shrinks them down and you have to pinch and zoom a lot.

This!
When reading digital comics and magazines- size matters.
The full size ipad is still smaller than the average newstand magazine.
Lighter and thinner will be perfect.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I might. But it depends on the actual size and weight of either one. The iPad 5 is rumored to be lighter and thinner than the 4, while the iPad mini 2 may get a tad thicker and heavier than its predecessor if it comes with retina display.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Why no one thought that Ipad 5 will have a bigger screen?

It might come at a 11" or 12" screen size but thinner and use glass front/back like Iphone 4. Same screen ratio so retina would still be pleased to see and use the same apps as previous Ipad.

As for mini, i dont believe all those news saying how well it sell over the fullsized. There is still market for those who prefer 9.7 or even bigger.

For me, if u are already having smartphone with screen sizes these day 4" and above. There is no point carrying around a tablet with 7 or 8 inch screen. Its just too annoying.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
My iPad Classic stills work perfectly and has great battery life, but I'll definitely look forward upgrading to retina display + cameras.

The iPad screen is convenient for me to read, and the cameras will be great to "scan" documents or book pages at the library for highlighting.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
I have an iPad 2 and I love the screen size, yet I love the form and weight of the mini so it would be truly awesome for Apple to make the iPad 5 look and feel like a mini, but with the retina display. Probably a no brainer at this point.

I might stick with my iPad 2 for another year or two actually, it still does everything I need it to do perfectly.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I have an iPad 4 and don't know if I'd upgrade to the 5, but I would definitely go for the 5 over the mini, even with retina, as I prefer the larger screen. I love my iPad 4, but rarely take it out of the house. I keep my Kindle with me for reading if I need to kill time.

Sophia.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade to a iPad five I don't really want a mini but would consider the mini two/three was not impressed with the first one.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Why no one thought that Ipad 5 will have a bigger screen?

It might come at a 11" or 12" screen size but thinner and use glass front/back like Iphone 4. Same screen ratio so retina would still be pleased to see and use the same apps as previous Ipad.

As for mini, i dont believe all those news saying how well it sell over the fullsized. There is still market for those who prefer 9.7 or even bigger.

For me, if u are already having smartphone with screen sizes these day 4" and above. There is no point carrying around a tablet with 7 or 8 inch screen. Its just too annoying.

The smartphone gets light duty only for what I would use my 7" tablets for. The smartphone is what is too annoying. My Nexus 7 is even more portable than the Mini.

There is a market for full sized iPads yes, but the Mini killed em EVEN WITHOUT RETINA. So guess what is going to happen when it does get it, especially if it is $329 I do not really care then about any extra weight and size. No brainer for me.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
Especially if the Mini2 is $329, I would not. I assume it would include an upgrade to the processor as well.

The consumer who wants a bigger tablet? Did that ever cross your thought? Or did you assume that because you looked at the price of the iPad Mini and decided that cheaper is better everyone else would, too? I'd love to debate more with you because so far I have found it too easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
The consumer who wants a bigger tablet? Did that ever cross your thought? Or did you assume that because you looked at the price of the iPad Mini and decided that cheaper is better everyone else would, too? I'd love to debate more with you because so far you've made it extremely easy for me to stomp on you.

First off, I have an ipad 4 so how did I decide cheaper is better when I returned the Mini? Same for anyone else doing that BUT retina drove the decision more so for most than the larger size. That never crossed your mind? Checkmate 1.

So ask yourself this? Soon the ipad mini 2 will come out more than likely with retina and cheaper than larger iPads as usual. The initial Mini outsold them regardless. Guess what will happen even more? Checkmate 2.

Glad you are not my opponent playing that game. Would be very boring for me, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.