Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Ipad mini's screen is still very small and it would still be annoying to use for reading pdfs, even with retina.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Ipad mini's screen is still very small and it would still be annoying to use for reading pdfs, even with retina.

Grant it in some cases size would matter but the market spoke LOUD when the mini was released. I do not know how many gave up certain things the larger size would be more preferable for but if the mini 2 gets retina and they did it without it first go round, ...

I appreciate the replies. And I do not know who owns a larger ipad as well so the decision for the mini for a portability option to have juiced up their sales as well.

I see almost no way the 5 would be more preferable to me than a mini 2 with retina.

LS1

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
Grant it in some cases size would matter but the market spoke LOUD when the mini was released. I do not know how many gave up certain things the larger size would be more preferable for but if the mini 2 gets retina and they did it without it first go round, ...

I appreciate the replies. And I do not know who owns a larger ipad as well so the decision for the mini for a portability option to have juiced up their sales as well.

I see almost no way the 5 would be more preferable to me than a mini 2 with retina.

Ipad mini is a new product. Of course it is going to sell like crazy when it first comes out. Everyone has to have the newest apple product.

Ipad 4 has about 50% more screen real estate than the mini. I know quite a few grad students who bought minis and ended up selling them for larger ipads. Ipad mini is not practical for textbooks, scientific journals, etc. Students are and will continue to be a large part of the market.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I have an iPad 4 and don't know if I'd upgrade to the 5, but I would definitely go for the 5 over the mini, even with retina, as I prefer the larger screen. I love my iPad 4, but rarely take it out of the house. I keep my Kindle with me for reading if I need to kill time.

But that's the beauty of the mini. I never took my iPad out of the house either, but when I got the mini I did start using it outside of the house because it isn't as bulky as the fullsized iPad. Then you have the best of both worlds because you have a portable timekiller that can still do everything your fullsized iPad can when it comes time for work.

I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone, but you would be surprised if you had one for day-to-day use. I can't think of a single thing that I did on my iPad 3 that can't be handled with ease by the Mini. Personally I can't see the point in having both a 9.7 iPad AND a Kindle reader when you could just use the Mini to accomplish everything that either of those devices do.

gekkota

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
As an iPad 1 owner I can't WAIT for the iPad 5! Every time a new iPad comes out I debate whether to upgrade, but this time I have decided that I actually will. My iPad 1 has served me well, but I'm finding more and more apps that I can't update due to being stuck in the old OS. Hope the wait isn't too long...

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I will. I like the larger form factor and have an ipad 2 at moment so it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Ill most likely get the iPad 5 to replace my 4. The mini's screen is too small while the unit is not really more portable than the full sized one.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2011
First off, I have an ipad 4 so how did I decide cheaper is better when I returned the Mini? Same for anyone else doing that BUT retina drove the decision more so for most than the larger size. That never crossed your mind? Checkmate 1.

So ask yourself this? Soon the ipad mini 2 will come out more than likely with retina and cheaper than larger iPads as usual. The initial Mini outsold them regardless. Guess what will happen even more? Checkmate 2.

Glad you are not my opponent playing that game. Would be very boring for me, lol.

Show me some statistics backing up that claim or I'll gladly dismiss it as filibustering.

Due to the cheaper price point. That's true for any product. As I said in my first post, though, the market for the full sized iPad will continue for those that want a bigger screen. Come back anytime.

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong
You shall ask "if iPad Mini is out, who will buy any 9.7" or 10.1" tablets again?"

Some consumers loves to have choice between them and may well buy a 9.7" over a 7.9" tablet.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm eager to get my hands on both an iPad Mini w/retina as well as an iPad 5.

After all why not? There's just enough size difference between them that I can easily justify one of each.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Show me some statistics backing up that claim or I'll gladly dismiss it as filibustering.

Due to the cheaper price point. That's true for any product. As I said in my first post, though, the market for the full sized iPad will continue for those that want a bigger screen. Come back anytime.

I need to show statistics that folks got a larger ipad because it had Retina? Come now. Post statistics showing that wasn't the case.

And yet the mini still trounced the larger ipads in sales. That stat has been posted many times, it is FACT.

And the beat down of larger ipads will just continue to happen. Let's see the percentage of how many will want a bigger screen ipad when the mini 2 with Retina is available. Everyone knows that answer already.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Me. Someone who doesn't need the extra portability of the Mini because we use our iPads 95% of the time at home, on the couch or in bed. Like someone else mentioned, it's not like the Mini fits in your pocket like the Nexus 7 does so it's not THAT much more portable than the full size iPad.

I personally read graphic novels/comics and a lot of websites on my iPad so the extra screen size is a huge help especially since it displays most graphic novels at 1:1 unlike the Mini that shrinks them down and you have to pinch and zoom a lot.

I thought exactly the same (currently own an iPad 3) until I had the chance to try a Mini for 3 days. Now my iPad feels like a washing machine. HUUUGE. I was so sad when they took the Mini away, lol

Yes, it's easier to read certain things, but its weight and size compromises a lot of places or positions you can use it.

In bed? I need to be almost sit (like in a chair) in order to not get tired after 10 mintues holding it. You can hold the Mini with one hand while completely lying for 1h and not even notice.

Same thing when laying in the couch. With my iPad 3 I need to reposition myself in order to use it. With the Mini though, I just grab it and use it. No matter if I'm upside down.

I don't know. Might be stupid reasons for some, but now my iPad 3 seems like this vs this in my mind. lol

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
I will buy it.

The mini is too small for a tablet and the regular ipad is just right

Actually it is bigger than 7" android tablets which might be the majority of sales versus larger ones. And it is what lots of people bought when the Mini was released. Portability and lighter weight, retina being the tradeoff.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I doubt that a retina based mini will be the same price as the non-retina model. For the sake of discussion lets say that is the case. The major difference between the two models then will be size.

Another question is battery life, chipset and thinkness. Will a retina based mini be as thin as it is now, have similar battery life and how will the performance be pushing all those pixels.

Many people prefer the larger form factor as its easier on the eyes. I personally prefer the small tablet but I can see others liking the larger model.

I don't follow your logic. When the Retina iPad came out, it carried the same sticker price as the previous year's non-retina model. Apple didn't increase the price just to get retina and a processor bump.

It will likely be $329 starting, just like the current model, even once it's upgraded to retina.

And, just in the interests of full disclosure, I'm looking to pick up a retina Mini for use primarily as a gaming device.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
Dear OP, I just ask you this question:

when there's a 13" MacBook Pro Retina, why would anyone go for the 15" MacBook Pro Retina?

Answer this and you'll be answering your own question.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Dear OP, I just ask you this question:

when there's a 13" MacBook Pro Retina, why would anyone go for the 15" MacBook Pro Retina?

Answer this and you'll be answering your own question.

FYI, there already is a 13" MBP Retina. And the 15" model is still being bought by a lot of people. Just go to the MBP subforum and see.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I'm not saying it's perfect for everyone, but you would be surprised if you had one for day-to-day use. I can't think of a single thing that I did on my iPad 3 that can't be handled with ease by the Mini. Personally I can't see the point in having both a 9.7 iPad AND a Kindle reader when you could just use the Mini to accomplish everything that either of those devices do.[/QUOTE]

The Kindle is much easier on the eyes. At my age I appreciate the larger retina screen for surfing and the Kindle for reading.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I need to show statistics that folks got a larger ipad because it had Retina? Come now. Post statistics showing that wasn't the case.

And yet the mini still trounced the larger ipads in sales. That stat has been posted many times, it is FACT.

And the beat down of larger ipads will just continue to happen. Let's see the percentage of how many will want a bigger screen ipad when the mini 2 with Retina is available. Everyone knows that answer already.

You're the one trying to attribute sales of larger iPads to one single thing, you thus have the burden of proof.

Also there are many reasons for the mini to outsell the iPad right now, two of which are it being all new and that it is cheaper.

If the mini gets retina they will most likely raise the price. Apple already cut its margins by a lot on the mini, adding retina to it at the same price point will cut the margin even more while drawing sales from the larger iPads. They might do the same thing as they have done to the larger iPads. One cheaper on retina model and a more expensive retina model.

Added to that is we have no idea how an iPad for will look like, could it be smaller with the same size screen? And maybe lighter?

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I doubt that a retina based mini will be the same price as the non-retina model. For the sake of discussion lets say that is the case. The major difference between the two models then will be size.

Another question is battery life, chipset and thinkness. Will a retina based mini be as thin as it is now, have similar battery life and how will the performance be pushing all those pixels.

Many people prefer the larger form factor as its easier on the eyes. I personally prefer the small tablet but I can see others liking the larger model.

Personally, I think the ipad mini was initially priced at $329 exactly so they could add a retina display later on and not have to raise the price. I am assuming the added price of materials will be offset by Apple being able to reuse existing machinery and manufacturing processes.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
a retina Mini with 128GB I could not resist to get. I would keep my iPad3 for bed/sofa surfing and use the Mini while on the road and commuting.

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2009
Santiago, Chile
FYI, there already is a 13" MBP Retina. And the 15" model is still being bought by a lot of people. Just go to the MBP subforum and see.

I know that. I just asked that question to point out to the OP that there are two size options for the MBP Retina. just like there's going to be two size options for iPads with Retina display. and it all depends on each person's preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.