Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Are you conveniently forgetting that a lot of these things have been available on Android - e.g parallax.

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
The real question, how do I disable the parallax 'feature'? It's actually kind of annoying and useless. Talk about skeuomorphism. Sheesh.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
How are Android mimicking it when it was released before iOS7?

Aug 26, 2008
Oddly, and I know you didn't mean it this way but, this just highlights the strength of Android.

The parallax has been around since last year.

Apple made it look like they had a significant new invention on their hands with the way they presented it.

Someone released an icon pack to look like iOS 7 style icons.

Which shows just how easy it is to use whatever icons you want for anything.

All this does is show how much faster, and freer, Android is.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
1st: I don't remember seeing these icons on Android.

2nd: If anyone could provide me with a link to an article stating Parallax on Android, please do so.

IMO Apple made the IOS presentation to make it look they reinvented IOS all over again. They didn't say they reinvented every single thing regarding OSes in general.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Oddly, and I know you didn't mean it this way but, this just highlights the strength of Android.

Apple made it look like they had a significant new invention on their hands with the way they presented it.

Agreed. Although I don't know why would anyone want IOS icons on Android and vice versa. It's just...ridiculous. Just my 2 cents

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Or, you could reverse that argument and it highlights the strengths of Apple.

Parallax may have been available on Android in the Play Store before, but it was something that many people hadn't used or even heard of. Now Apple have implemented it, it's popularity has suddenly taken off.

You could also say that the icons Apple have designed are so nice, Android users want them on their phones.

So all this does is show how much more polished and well designed iOS is.

I'm not disputing your point, just highlighting that it can be argued in the opposite direction. One thing I will argue against though is you said Android is faster?

I assume you meant in being able to make custom themes etc? Well that's not true because that's not part of iOS so Android isn't any faster.

And if you do literally mean by speed, then well...... I'm not even going to go there.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Android != Android users, in addition to all the other things that makes your statement silly.

Exactly. A random person making some icons doesn't represent Android.

----------

Agreed. Although I don't know why would anyone want IOS icons on Android and vice versa. It's just...ridiculous. Just my 2 cents

There are plenty of girls who would want this icon set.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I never knew Parallax existed until iOS7 was announced. It's hard to keep track of the endless things you can do on Android. :p

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I believe there is an iOS tweak called "deep end" that will give a parallax effect.

Personally I want an ultra high res space wallpaper which would provide a near spherical 360 degree experience.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
1st: I don't remember seeing these icons on Android.

2nd: If anyone could provide me with a link to an article stating Parallax on Android, please do so.

IMO Apple made the IOS presentation to make it look they reinvented IOS all over again. They didn't say they reinvented every single thing regarding OSes in general.

This is nothing more than a Photosphere and Google Maps "street view" implementation. I had predicted Apple would steal Photosphere for iOS7, but I guess that was too difficult, so they just stole part of photosphere.

But for code using parallax, it has been in Android for at least 2 years. This is how easy it was to code parallax using Cocos2d for an image. 'Not exactly groundbreaking stuff:

CGSize winSize = CCDirector.sharedDirector().displaySize();
_bg = CCSprite.sprite("yourbg.png"); // needs to be square, i.e. 800x800
_bg.setTextureRect(0, 0, winSize.width, winSize.height, false);
_bg.getTexture().setTexParameters(GL10.GL_LINEAR, GL10.GL_LINEAR, GL10.GL_REPEAT,
GL10.GL_REPEAT);
_bg.setAnchorPoint(CGPoint.zero());
this.addChild(_bg);

and then you update the image for movement or float dt,
if (_bgOffset > 2000000000)
_bgOffset = 0; //
_bgOffset += dt * PIXELS_PER_SECOND; //
_bg.setTextureRect(0, _bgOffset, _bg.getTextureRect().size.width,
_bg.getTextureRect().size.height, false);

----------

I believe there is an iOS tweak called "deep end" that will give a parallax effect.

Personally I want an ultra high res space wallpaper which would provide a near spherical 360 degree experience.

Yeah that already exists. It is called Google's Photosphere

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
That's not skeumorphism

Fine. By definition you are correct, but whats the word for the unnecessary use of motion on a virtual object that isn't real. The parallax effect is bad, but the "hanging" Safari tabs are the worst!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.