Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeatRocket

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
In the Sandbox
Did Apple not introduce the smartphone as we know it today?

Boy, that could be a long argument! There were plenty of smartphones out before the iPhone. I was using a WinMo 5 smartphone that had a touch display and an app store (not Microsoft's) long before Apple got into the game.
If it's one thing I'll say iPhone brought new to the scene was capacitive multi-touch and a somewhat desktop integrated entertainment system (iTunes). Apple "borrowed" plenty of other features that were already in existence prior. They certainly turned the marketing world on it's ear!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Apple's 2009 patent that covers parallax in an OS (OSX but we all know ideas are pooled at apple): http://www.patentlyapple.com/patent...aring-os-x-for-new-high-end-3d-interface.html

A lot of developers got inspired by Johnny Lee's explanation and code for how to use a Wii remote to control head tracking displays back in 2007:

Of course, the general idea of being able to see virtual objects in "3D" goes back decades to the earliest days of virtual reality, and head mounted displays.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Who really cares either way...?

People get way too worked up about this stuff.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Who really cares either way...?

People get way too worked up about this stuff.

Yep, it's just pieces of plastic, metal and glass. It makes little sense to have allegiances to such material things.

The main reason some of us old guys hang around and comment, is because we don't want computing history and its pioneers to get forgotten.

These days everything is about quick and entertaining media bites. Thus we end up with movies like the abysmal "Pearl Harbor" where history is rewritten to fit today's expectations. (For example, they showed FDR listening in on the Doolittle attack, which could not happen.)

Looks like the upcoming Jobs movie with Ashton Kutcher will be pretty bad, history wise, as well. The writer even said that he wasn't going for accuracy at all, but for entertainment.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
More proof that Apple leads and Android follows.

Not that we didn't already know this, though.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
More proof that Apple leads and Android follows.

Not that we didn't already know this, though.

Is this sarcasm?

There are threads on this forum of people saying iOS 7 is confusing. I found the beta intuitive because its similar to Android that I have experience with.

Swipe to get to control panel. In app screen shots for multitasking. Animation to background (regardless of patents I've been used live wallpapers on Android that use the gyroscopes years ago). More powerful notification system. Etc.

I don't know for certain who was first to use that stuff but it certainly wasn't Apple.

Saying Apple "leads" at anything is hilarious. The argument can be made maybe they do it better but that's still debatable.

Btw beta 1 needs A LOT of work. Apple is introducing features I've had on a Xoom in early 2011 today. It lags a late 2011 iPhone 4S very very badly. I'll withhold my judgement on that until the final release. But as of this point the programming is lacking in optimization considering a 4S should be a little more powerful albeit it has less ram then a Xoom.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Is this sarcasm?

There are threads on this forum of people saying iOS 7 is confusing. I found the beta intuitive because its similar to Android that I have experience with.

I'm pretty certain that Apple knows more about designing an app then random people on a forum, most of whom are just Android trolls any way.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm pretty certain that Apple knows more about designing an app then random people on a forum, most of whom are just Android trolls any way.

Well its in the iOS section and most have screen shots. So its people that paid for or are iOS developers. iOS 7 isn't an "app" it's an OS.

But if name calling and sticking your head in the sand (by that I mean cropping facts out of my post) helps you feel better then by all means have at it. I'm still gonna stick with the facts though sorry.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
owned. lol

----------

If Apple knows so much about design, why did they throw all the skeuomorphism in iOS 5 & 6 in iOS 7?

How dare you ask that. Apple can do no wrong, even when it's something they determined was wrong of others of doing when others did it!

Just like 3.5" screen size is perfect (<- do people know what this word means?) until the 4" phone came out. Then it became perfecter!

Just like their design philosophy. Sophisticated, clean, simple, perfect. Until they decided to fire one of their top executives and instate a whole new look that is perfecter!

Don't you understand how it works? Apple can do wrong. Apple!

:apple:

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

You're in the Alternatives forum so don't expect us to worship Apple in every conceivable way.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Is it wrong to like watching fan boys who do not understand the platform they are criticizing get owned?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.