Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I've literally never seen so many people put words in someone else's mouth which they clearly never said.

did you just implied apple invented voice recognition? :p

I don't think apple is waiting. it is more likely that they don't have the know how to implement the tech. history has shown that Apple need to steal tech to make something. and to steal and reverse engineer complex tech takes time.

Show me where I said that Apple invented voice recognition. Oh wait.

You really think that one of the worlds largest technology companies doesn't know how to implement NFC? Really? They already have extensive amount of patents on it.

You keep going on about Apple needing to steal tech. Show me touchscreen screen phones with app stores that sold in the hundreds of millions before the iPhone. Tell me that the iPod didn't revolutionise the way people store and listen to their music. Show me all those millions of tablets that were sold before the iPad came along.

Apple were the ones who made these devices take off, whether or not they were first to the market, and you cannot argue against that.

So you believe pulling Google apps from iOS was the best thing for users when a apple did it? How about being forced to use Microsoft's Bing search engine with Siri in iOS7? Or how about being forced to use Safari as the default web browser? Or the fact that Apple won't let you access your your own files and folders on iOS?

By the way, NFC is used by hundreds of millions of people every day. If you ever happen to get out of small town USA and visit a large US city like L.A./New York, or Europe, or Asia/Japan, you'll see how extensively NFC is used. Hell, I use NFC and Pay pass all the time to not only pay for goods at places like CVS, McDonalds, and Best Buy, but to pay for both gas and Level 2 electric chargers for my electric car.

Did they pull them though? Their contract ran out and they chose not to renew it. Last time I checked you can install YouTube and Google Maps from the App Store so what's the problem?

I've just asked Siri to search google in iOS 7, and you'll never guess what? It searched Google! :eek:

The argument about using Safari as a default browser is one that comes up on forums many times. These forums are for people who have an interest in technology. How often do you hear everyday people complaining that Safari is the default browser and they can't change it? Clearly, this is not deterring many people from buying iPhones/iPads, is it? :rolleyes:

I'd also like to point out, I don't live in 'small town USA', I live in Europe funnily enough. NFC (I'm talking about on phones and tablets) really isn't as big as you think. I can honestly say, I literally don't think I've seen any more than 2-3 examples of it actually used on a daily basis and that actually makes the process easier for consumers.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wasn't there a jailbreak app on Cydia called Parallax that's been there for a few years?

Looke Like Parallax was an Android style parallax scrolling wallpaper (not using the accelerometer, instead scrolling in a parallax style between screens)

As for theming? Why not? It's one of the benefits of the platform. :D

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
Maybe, just maybe Android develops (innovate if you prefer) small things and release it as fast as they could, may it be fully functional or not. So when Apple makes its entry on that area of development (innovation if you prefer), Android gets the credit.

I couldn't wait when Apple integrates NFC. It should be fun.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
On of the advantage of Android, you have the choice even in customizing.
Look at the signal bars and battery.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1371321559384.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1371321559384.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 133

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
And I'm the fanboy in this thread? Wow.

are you saying there isn't any semblance of truth to that statement? do you need to be reminded?
neonode mobile implemented the slider unlock first. apple stole that then put a border around the slider icon and patented that. then apple sued the world using that.

I can give you a few more examples with search, rectangular designs etc. How some apple fanboys can ignore such shameful acts from Apple is beyond me.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
are you saying there isn't any semblance of truth to that statement? do you need to be reminded?
neonode mobile implemented the slider unlock first. apple stole that then put a border around the slider icon and patented that. then apple sued the world using that.

I can give you a few more examples with search, rectangular designs etc. How some apple fanboys can ignore such shameful acts from Apple is beyond me.

So what is Android (owned by google)? They wouldn't be where they are today without Blackberry, Apple etc.

Without Apple, you wouldn't have the smartphone as you know it today, you wouldn't have the tablet as you know it today. I'd call a company that can make products that successful a technology company.

Betwixt your avatar and signature, I would say that is an accurate statement.

So I enjoy using products that fit my needs and that are integrated through iCloud which makes my life 100x easier, that makes me a fanboy?

Last edited:

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
So what is Android (owned by google)? They wouldn't be where they are today without Blackberry, Apple etc.

Without Apple, you wouldn't have the smartphone as you know it today, you wouldn't have the tablet as you know it today. I'd call a company that can make products that successful a technology company.

So I enjoy using products that fit my needs and that are integrated through iCloud which makes my life 100x easier, that makes me a fanboy?

I would say that the way you responded, pretty much answers your own question..

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I would say that the way you responded, pretty much answers your own question..

Is it not true then? You seem to be dismissing facts.

Did Apple not introduce the smartphone as we know it today?
Did Apple not introduce the tablet as we know it today?

Answer them two questions.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
did you just implied apple invented voice recognition? :p

I don't think apple is waiting. it is more likely that they don't have the know how to implement the tech. history has shown that Apple need to steal tech to make something. and to steal and reverse engineer complex tech takes time.

I think he meant the implementation of a high level voice assistant in a phone.

They don't have the know-how to implement the tech... Wow... of course... that's probably why their products weren't selling for the past ten years. Thats probably why they failed at implementing touch technology to phones. Oh wait...

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Those are both tough questions and subjective to usage.

For example I use a tablet docked to an HDTV and control via a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. So they didn't introduce it as I know it today.

And while I agree similar results can be had with obtained with ATV you need to be in physical contact with the tablet. Which is useless for my needs (might as well look at the tablet if I have to hold it).

That may sound specific and I agree but if we get vague with both questions then it becomes "did apple invent the smartphone/tablet?" And to that the answer is obviously no.

As cool as I admit the first iPhone was at the time it was rather basic and iOS wasn't evolved enough for me needs and I stuck with the competition for necessity. Even now although I love my idevices it still can lack in certain places to be used in certain professional settings. Using my own needs for an example again, I need a email app that can send multiple PDF files and other assorted files. So against my will I'm still using competitive products at work and home.

All these devices are nice, however none are perfect. While I prefer iOS overall I need more at times and have learn to appreciate what any mobile operating system as to offer.

That's just my opinion on the subject and questions, mileage will vary.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Apple introduced a layer to existing phones of the time, but several companies already had candy bar black phones with touch screens on the market or ready for market when the I phone was announced. I def think they played a significant role in the industry, but they weren't alone.

Tablets is subjective. The iPad was not a unique design, nor was it a new concept. The 1994 Knight-Ridder concept tablet looked very much like an iPad, and that was out almost 2 decades prior. Microsoft tried and tried to make a good tablet a decade prior to Apple. What Apple did do is energize an untapped market and used its simplistic OS to allow any and everyone to use their device.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Apple introduced a layer to existing phones of the time, but several companies already had candy bar black phones with touch screens on the market or ready for market when the I phone was announced. I def think they played a significant role in the industry, but they weren't alone.

Tablets is subjective. The iPad was not a unique design, nor was it a new concept. The 1994 Knight-Ridder concept tablet looked very much like an iPad, and that was out almost 2 decades prior. Microsoft tried and tried to make a good tablet a decade prior to Apple. What Apple did do is energize an untapped market and used its simplistic OS to allow any and everyone to use their device.

I agree, it was not a unique concept. I'm not saying Apple created the tablet, but the rapid success of the tablet is down to Apple and the iPad.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I agree, it was not a unique concept. I'm not saying Apple created the tablet, but the rapid success of the tablet is down to Apple and the iPad.

No argument here. I agree 100%. Since 2001-2002, Apple has been in the unique position of being able to dictate the course of mobile tech.

lokey

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2003
safari tabs is a big improvement over the previous implementation imho since it offers a better glance at your open tabs as well as iCloud tabs from other devices.

Agreed on the tabs. They are a huge improvement. It's the motion effect used to show them hanging freely so you can see more of the page that is unnecessary.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
It's funny how people try to slam Apple by saying they didnt invent anything.

No they didnt invent the personal computer, the gui, the cell phone, voice recognition, or the tablet. Neither did Microsoft, Samsung, HTC, Google, or IBM. That credit goes to an engineer, consultant, or firm.

Apple was just the first to do a product right that blew away everything that came before it. It was their designs and execution that was influential and game changing.

There's no denying the influence and impact the Apple II, iPad, iMac, iPhone, iPod, and OSX had on the industry, and how many products competitors subsequently released that mimmicked them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.