Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
so if I understand this straight this is 9to5 acting like classical Apple fanboy crybabies who do not understand even the basic part of how android works? They want to act like Apple is all great. It is among the 100's of icon choices out there.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Or, you could reverse that argument and it highlights the strengths of Apple.

Parallax may have been available on Android in the Play Store before, but it was something that many people hadn't used or even heard of. Now Apple have implemented it, it's popularity has suddenly taken off.

You could also say that the icons Apple have designed are so nice, Android users want them on their phones.

So all this does is show how much more polished and well designed iOS is.

I'm not disputing your point, just highlighting that it can be argued in the opposite direction. One thing I will argue against though is you said Android is faster?

I assume you meant in being able to make custom themes etc? Well that's not true because that's not part of iOS so Android isn't any faster.

And if you do literally mean by speed, then well...... I'm not even going to go there.

Boy, you talk about a fanboy/fangirl. Ladies and gentlemen, this is your poster child. :rolleyes:

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Boy, you talk about a fanboy/fangirl. Ladies and gentlemen, this is your poster child. :rolleyes:

And you're one of those people who accuse everyone of being a fan boy/girl if they dispute someone else's opinion.

I even said, I'm not disputing his argument at all and I'm not saying my argument is correct either. I was simply stating that if he/she can make such a silly post about, it can also be turned the opposite way.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011

Nice catch although I am sure some people will still give apple credit for this innovation

Edit: oh wait, someone did

Parallax may have been available on Android in the Play Store before, but it was something that many people hadn't used or even heard of. Now Apple have implemented it, it's popularity has suddenly taken off

Suddenly? Just because a site looked through the play store after the keynote and published an article doesn't make it suddenly popular because of Apple. There are a few apps on android available for years. In fact my wife is using a 3D wallpaper with our pet chicken on her HTC desire !!! And THAT is old.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
And you're one of those people who accuse everyone of being a fan boy/girl if they dispute someone else's opinion.

I even said, I'm not disputing his argument at all and I'm not saying my argument is correct either. I was simply stating that if he/she can make such a silly post about, it can also be turned the opposite way.

Really? Look at my signature. I currently own 4 phones...3 Androids and the iPhone 5. Calling me a fanboy is about the dumbest thing you could've said.

And no, it can't be turned the opposite way. You're just turning it that way to fit your opinion/argument. In reality, what you said is just plain silly. "People didn't care about parallax until Apple did it". Right. Because something ONLY becomes popular when Apple does it. When you say things like that, it makes you the very definition of a fanboy/fangirl.

You know WHY it seems like that? Because Android users have seen it, used it, and moved on. It's only exciting for Apple-only users, because they've never seen it and now think it's some sort of groundbreaking thing. It's not. And that's not my opinion...that's a fact.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Parallax may have been available on Android in the Play Store before, but it was something that many people hadn't used or even heard of. Now Apple have implemented it, it's popularity has suddenly taken off.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...S54bGx1c2lvbi5saXZld2FsbHBhcGVyLnN1bnJpc2UiXQ..

I'm sure all 1-5 million installs of just this single Parallax style wallpaper were all downloaded just minutes after the iOS 7 reveal. Oh wait... looking at the last 30 day chart they weren't. Imagine that.

----------

via 9to5mac.com:

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/13/just-...s-already-mimicking-ios-7-icons-and-parallax/

So much for the "Apple is mimicking Android" hate ahahah

I don't even...

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Really? Look at my signature. I currently own 4 phones...3 Androids and the iPhone 5. Calling me a fanboy is about the dumbest thing you could've said.

And no, it can't be turned the opposite way. You're just turning it that way to fit your opinion/argument. In reality, what you said is just plain silly. "People didn't care about parallax until Apple did it". Right. Because something ONLY becomes popular when Apple does it. When you say things like that, it makes you the very definition of a fanboy/fangirl.

You know WHY it seems like that? Because Android users have seen it, used it, and moved on. It's only exciting for Apple-only users, because they've never seen it and now think it's some sort of groundbreaking thing. It's not. And that's not my opinion...that's a fact.

Where did I call you a fanboy? Please re-read what I wrote.

And this is where I can act grown up. Looking back on what I wrote, I realise the way I wrote what I said about parallax comes across as me being a fanboy. I just felt the argument was stupid and in hindsight, that part of mine is not much better.

I can however argue, that while it may not be a groundbreaking feature, it is one that the majority of people will have never used or even heard of and now that it will be a standard feature of iOS 7 (unless you turn it off of course) it will be exposed to millions more people who will find it quite amazing. You say it's only going to be exciting for Apple-only users. These are in the hundreds of millions. So, for LOTS of people it is going to be groundbreaking whether or not it has been implemented elsewhere first.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

I can however argue, that while it may not be a groundbreaking feature, it is one that the majority of people will have never used or even heard of and now that it will be a standard feature of iOS 7 (unless you turn it off of course) it will be exposed to millions more people who will find it quite amazing. You say it's only going to be exciting for Apple-only users. These are in the hundreds of millions. So, for LOTS of people it is going to be groundbreaking whether or not it has been implemented elsewhere first.

Yep, it will be a groundbreaking feature for many iDevice owners. Just like lock screen icons were, and a Notification Center, and iMessage aka BBM, and a virtual split keyboard, and photo editing software built into the gallery, and Priority aka VIP Inbox, and so on.

The next amazing technology to hit iDevices will be NFC and the abilities it has. Of course, most Apple users will think Apple invented it and be amazed by what the iPhone will be able to do. Android users will find this amusing, just like we are finding it amusing that Apple users are amazed by a semi-live wallpaper. Goes to show how out of touch Apple really is with consumers.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Yep, it will be a groundbreaking feature for many iDevice owners. Just like lock screen icons were, and a Notification Center, and iMessage aka BBM, and a virtual split keyboard, and photo editing software built into the gallery, and Priority aka VIP Inbox, and so on.

The next amazing technology to hit iDevices will be NFC and the abilities it has. Of course, most Apple users will think Apple invented it and be amazed by what the iPhone will be able to do. Android users will find this amusing, just like we are finding it amusing that Apple users are amazed by a semi-live wallpaper. Goes to show how out of touch Apple really is with consumers.

What about Google Now? Siri was introduced before. What about the supposed messaging service between Android devices, iMessage existed first and as you noted, BBM before that.

I wouldn't really say that Apple are out of touch with consumers. With the highest (yes, the highest) customer satisfaction rates, high sales numbers and very good retention rates, Apple clearly are in touch with consumers.

Apple make mistakes, all companies do. Apple also often wait until technology is ready in their eyes before they implement it into their devices. Just because other companies introduce features first doesn't mean that they are the best. Tell me how popular NFC is at the moment?

If Apple were to introduce NFC at a later stage, it's not because they are out of touch with consumers, it's because they don't feel it's ready for prime time yet. And the way it's been implemented by other manufactures, I think you'll find it hard to disagree.

A quote from Steve Jobs "We're not going to be the first to this party, but we're going to be the best."

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
What ? You compare Google Now with Siri ? Clearly you never used Android ..

----------

Just like Maps I presume ..

I'm not talking about which is better, but the concept of voice recognition is the same. I'm not talking about additional features.

Clearly you didn't read what I wrote and chose to pick out parts that best suit your argument. In the paragraph that I wrote, I said 'Apple make mistakes, all companies do'.

I'm not saying Apple are always the best, however, they do try to do what they think is best for iOS users, which often means waiting until they believe the technology is ready.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided
Android users create themes and icon packs 'mimicking' other operating systems all the time. They either do it for fun or just because they can.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
Or, you could reverse that argument and it highlights the strengths of Apple.

You could also say that the icons Apple have designed are so nice, Android users want them on their phones.

So all this does is show how much more polished and well designed iOS is.

That's some pretty impressive assuming right there.

I don't care for parallax. It's pointless, and I'd have thought somewhat nauseating, but I have no desire for it whatsoever. Not all Android users want it, but it's an option that was available to Android users, and taken up by some of those way before Apple thought of it.

To assume that Apple have now made this ready for mass adoption due to 'polish', whatever that means is a horrible statement. Weren't we here for the same BS with Siri, which no-one uses anyway, or passbook, or news-stand. Or we can just make the assumption that because Apple makes something and includes it by default into an OS, it's suddenly ready, and that everyone that got there beforehand did it shoddily.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
That's some pretty impressive assuming right there.

I don't care for parallax. It's pointless, and I'd have thought somewhat nauseating, but I have no desire for it whatsoever. Not all Android users want it, but it's an option that was available to Android users, and taken up by some of those way before Apple thought of it.

To assume that Apple have now made this ready for mass adoption due to 'polish', whatever that means is a horrible statement. Weren't we here for the same BS with Siri, which no-one uses anyway, or passbook, or news-stand. Or we can just make the assumption that because Apple makes something and includes it by default into an OS, it's suddenly ready, and that everyone that got there beforehand did it shoddily.

Please, read the above comments. It's really not difficult.

And I'm sorry, but to think no-one uses Siri, that's quite naive. People also use passbook and newsstand.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm not talking about which is better, but the concept of voice recognition is the same. I'm not talking about additional features.

did you just implied apple invented voice recognition? :p

I'm not saying Apple are always the best, however, they do try to do what they think is best for iOS users, which often means waiting until they believe the technology is ready

I don't think apple is waiting. it is more likely that they don't have the know how to implement the tech. history has shown that Apple need to steal tech to make something. and to steal and reverse engineer complex tech takes time.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Clearly you didn't read what I wrote and chose to pick out parts that best suit your argument. In the paragraph that I wrote, I said 'Apple make mistakes, all companies do'.

I'm not saying Apple are always the best, however, they do try to do what they think is best for iOS users, which often means waiting until they believe the technology is ready.

So you believe pulling Google apps from iOS was the best thing for users when a apple did it? How about being forced to use Microsoft's Bing search engine with Siri in iOS7? Or how about being forced to use Safari as the default web browser? Or the fact that Apple won't let you access your your own files and folders on iOS?

By the way, NFC is used by hundreds of millions of people every day. If you ever happen to get out of small town USA and visit a large US city like L.A./New York, or Europe, or Asia/Japan, you'll see how extensively NFC is used. Hell, I use NFC and Pay pass all the time to not only pay for goods at places like CVS, McDonalds, and Best Buy, but to pay for both gas and Level 2 electric chargers for my electric car.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Looks like he wants to see how much code Apple actually stole. He was laughing at Tim Cook's keynote in this rare camera footage.

gsmarena_001.jpg

Photo caption, "And these fools have the gall to sue others over 'look at feel' patents?"

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
Fine. By definition you are correct, but whats the word for the unnecessary use of motion on a virtual object that isn't real. The parallax effect is bad, but the "hanging" Safari tabs are the worst!

yeah, what you're describing, i'd kinda call "unnecessary eye-candy", really. Which is entirely a matter of taste.

Not sure how i feel about the parallax on the home screen yet, but i do really like the "dynamic wallpaper" on the lockscreen. the safari tabs is a big improvement over the previous implementation imho since it offers a better glance at your open tabs as well as iCloud tabs from other devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.