Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
So I just downloaded the IPSW from the dev portal. Synced and backed up my iPhone 5S on the most recent beta build of IOS 8. Then the magic moment to manually upgrade caused iTunes 12 (latest on Yosemite) to crash. Now my phone is stuck in DFU mode, and iTunes will crash immediately if my phone is plugged in at all. So be warned. I'm switching to my mavericks partition to try to install off the latest iTunes there. Update to follow.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL
So I just downloaded the IPSW from the dev portal. Synced and backed up my iPhone 5S on the most recent beta build of IOS 8. Then the magic moment to manually upgrade caused iTunes 12 (latest on Yosemite) to crash. Now my phone is stuck in DFU mode, and iTunes will crash immediately if my phone is plugged in at all. So be warned. I'm switching to my mavericks partition to try to install off the latest iTunes there. Update to follow.

Yeah it is pretty common around here that iTunes 12 crashes when in recovery mode :) I read if you use Xcode 6 with iTunes 12 it will work fine.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008

This happened to me as well. Installing the latest version of Xcode fixes it. I reported a bug and Apple is aware of the problem. Hopefully fixed soon.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
This happened to me as well. Installing the latest version of Xcode fixes it. I reported a bug and Apple is aware of the problem. Hopefully fixed soon.

Thanks for the solution! I'm going to upgrade Xcode now. I should have upgraded my iPad Air before my iPhone. Lesson learned...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Just download recboot to get the phone out of DFU. I had the same problem.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

How does Xcode fix it, iTunes will open normally after installing Xcode?

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Thanks for the solution! I'm going to upgrade Xcode now. I should have upgraded my iPad Air before my iPhone. Lesson learned...

It happens to us all. I can't take credit for the solution though! I found the answer here. There are actually 2 solutions in there but the Xcode route is probably the better solution. Perhaps the mods could merge the threads?

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
Is the DFU problem related to trying to restore a backup or if you do a clean install are you okay?

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
I updated without DFU on beta 5 and my 4S was stuck in recovery mode... I don't know if this could happen with the GM.

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
I am stuck in DFU.... my work computer has Yosemite, and my mavericks computer is with my wife.

How do I fix it in XCode?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.