Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
does shift click update crash itunes? does it put your iPhone in DFU mode?

I was upgrading via Option Click when it decompressed the GM IPSW. Then iTunes 12 crashed and would crash again upon restart, and my phone was stuck in stuck in DFU. I even rebooted. But iTunes would only crash if my phone was plugged in.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
Yeah apparently opening Xcode and restoring using iTunes 12 will work however I think you need the Xcode 6 GM for it to work.

Although some have said that the update worked and they didn't encounter the bug but not sure really.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Going to boot into windows with vmware and post later my results.

GoldenChild

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2014
Yeah apparently opening Xcode and restoring using iTunes 12 will work however I think you need the Xcode 6 GM for it to work.

Although some have said that the update worked and they didn't encounter the bug but not sure really.
Thanks, I'll try it.

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
I'm getting a not found message when trying to do the update.

Anyone else get this message too and any fix for it?

Attachments

• ios8404.jpg
    ios8404.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 129

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
If you're familiar with the terminal,
go "sudo" and rename "iTunes.app" to "iTunesOLD.app"
as well as rename the iTunes Folder in ~/Music/ to something temporary.
Then download iTunes 11, Install, do nothing but update the device(s)
and reverse these steps.
Thats how I did it.

(Update: Forgot, you need to get TinyUmbrella to get out of Recovery Mode)

Dan70

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2014
England
Yeah I'm clicking "Restore iPhone..." with it plugged it and I click restore, and I've tried back up and don't back up and each time it's coming up with the error message I posted above. No idea what is going on.

Think I might need Xcode with is a right pain as it's 2.4GB so no chance I'll have that downloaded tonight. I need sleep.

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Anyone seeing any ******* behavior after installing GM? e.g. heating, rapid battery drain etc

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'd like to know this as well. I am using the Yosemite DP 7, downloading Xcode 6 GM from Apple.

I have an iPhone 5S A1533

I downloaded beta 7 (updated from beta 3) but from the threads it seems that beta 6 and later should be fine. Once Xcode is installed & launched for the first time, you don't need it open every time you use iTunes.

nomugs

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
Hey everyone, I also had a similar problem. I have now installed Xcode, but overtime I restore I get an error 3014. I have tried DFU and restoring and I can't get past it. Running Yosemite all up to date. Any help?

Foss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
Yeap, any version will work. Tried Xcode 6 beta 7 and after installing it the iOS 8 GM install went fine!

I can confirm that installing and running Xcode 6 GM (after it installed and accepted licenses, etc.) caused iTunes 12 on Yosemite to allow me to recover from DFU mode to upgrade my iPad Air.

Overall the safest bet is to backup to your Mavericks iTunes software and upgrade from there if possible. I didn't try from Windows so can't really say there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.