Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My understanding of the issue at hand is that iTunes 12 crashed at a critical stage of the update process. That doesn't sound like a problem with the GM build of iOS. Thus, iTunes 12 is the problem, leading to my comments here.
Right, you essentially referenced installing a beta on the phone using a beta on the computer, where it seems like the "installing a beta" was a reference to installing the iOS GM which isn't a beta (while, yes, the "using a beta" being a reference to iTunes 12 would certainly apply as it is not a final version of it yet). Thus no real "betaception", which is what I was basically saying.

Last edited:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
It installs fine with Windows and iTunes 11.4 if anyone is still left behind. :)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I went through the same problems. I finally got it working after a few hours and just my luck, the ipsw files I downloaded was 7.1.2.

Obviously, I'm not a developer. I searched on Google on that was the best I could find. Sorry, I think it's ridiculous that I can have PB2, but not iOs8?

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
uninstalled itunes 12.0 and then reinstalled itunes 11.xxx. Update went smoothly to 8.0. Also preserved all my playlists.

I am using PB2 for yosemite.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Same issue here, iTunes 12, Yosemite Latest. iTunes just keeps crashing. Had to download xcode, copy it to applications then open it to perform the actual install. Until I did that iTunes just kept crashing. All good now thanks! I know this is all beta stuff but Apple is getting sloppy with betas lately. I hope they are not starting to outsource things overseas because that is when things fall off the pipes.

-Mike

----------

Right, you essentially referenced installing a beta on the phone using a beta on the computer, where it seems like the "installing a beta" was a reference to installing the iOS GM which isn't a beta (while, yes, the "using a beta" being a reference to iTunes 12 would certainly apply as it is not a final version of it yet). Thus no real "betaception", which is what I was basically saying.
That is some serious beta talk right there lol!

-Mike

IriGOY3n93

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
uninstalled itunes 12.0 and then reinstalled itunes 11.xxx. Update went smoothly to 8.0. Also preserved all my playlists.

I am using PB2 for yosemite.

Hey, could you tell me how did you did that?? Because I uninstalled iTunes 12 and installed 11, when i started 11 it said it was built in a newer version and needed to update.

----------

My phone is also crashing and stuck in dfu mode.
Yosemite Public preview 2.

Have you figured it out how to solve the issue? I have the same problem -.-

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Hey, could you tell me how did you did that?? Because I uninstalled iTunes 12 and installed 11, when i started 11 it said it was built in a newer version and needed to update.

----------

Have you figured it out how to solve the issue? I have the same problem -.-

Just download Xcode. That method works.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Same issue here, iTunes 12, Yosemite Latest. iTunes just keeps crashing. Had to download xcode, copy it to applications then open it to perform the actual install. Until I did that iTunes just kept crashing. All good now thanks! I know this is all beta stuff but Apple is getting sloppy with betas lately. I hope they are not starting to outsource things overseas because that is when things fall off the pipes.

-Mike

----------

That is some serious beta talk right there lol!

-Mike

Outsource what? and sloppy with betas - in what way?

twitboydk

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I am not able to run iTunes 11 my yosemity mac says that some new lists prevent this. however i then redownloaded the iTunes 12 at it now lets me reboot my device. i assume i will then get iOS 7 on it...but still better than not having a phone at all

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
Just wanted to add my experience: updated to GM with Yosemite and Itunes 12 AND Xcode and all went as smooth as velvet.
I did not restore I SHIFT+CHECK for UPDATE and pointed to the IOS 8 ipsw.

Hope this helps.

twitboydk

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Just wanted to add my experience: updated to GM with Yosemite and Itunes 12 AND Xcode and all went as smooth as velvet.
I did not restore I SHIFT+CHECK for UPDATE and pointed to the IOS 8 ipsw.

Hope this helps.

guess the x code makes the difference. i don't know if that works. I'm on the yosemity public beta. and think maybe I'm just gonna wait. apple has to come out with some update for this

Lukeit

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Shanghai, China
guess the x code makes the difference. i don't know if that works. I'm on the yosemity public beta. and think maybe I'm just gonna wait. apple has to come out with some update for this

I am on Yosemite DP7 but I guess it should work also on PB provided (I suppose) you are subscribed to IOS developer and have registered your UDID with Apple: I don't think the GM seed at this time can be installed by everybody but think it still is linked to the developer subscription.... maybe others more informed than me can provide more details on this.

twitboydk

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
looks like i was able to install iOS 8 GM on an iTunes 11 download.
now my question is...how the hell to i get iTunes 12 back on there hahaha

humar

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Italy
On Yosemite 14A343f (latest beta) with the last itunes 12 upgrade all went fine with just Xcode opened in the background.

smokesletsgo

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2013
Thanks for the heads up, would've messed up my iPhone. Installed Xcode and all went well on yosemite PB2, iTunes 12 beta.

Taucher669

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
I had the same problem with crashing iTunes 12.
Yosemite DP7
Installed Xcode DP7
iTunes does not crash anymore after xcode installation - but now I get error 17 in iTunes 12. Tried with
option+click+check for updates
option+click+Restore
shift+click+check for updates
shift+click+Restore

Tried with iPhone 5S on iOS8 B5 and iPadAir with iOS7

Any Idea?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I had the same problem with crashing iTunes 12.
Yosemite DP7
Installed Xcode DP7
iTunes does not crash anymore after xcode installation - but now I get error 17 in iTunes 12. Tried with
option+click+check for updates
option+click+Restore
shift+click+check for updates
shift+click+Restore

Tried with iPhone 5S on iOS8 B5 and iPadAir with iOS7

Any Idea?
Are you sure you downloaded the correct Xcode? There is no Xcode 7. Make sure you downloaded Xcode 6GM from the developers portal.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
I am stuck in DFU.... my work computer has Yosemite, and my mavericks computer is with my wife.

How do I fix it in XCode?:confused:
Solution: Find your wife. Or has she taken up with another man under an assumed name?

Haha, kidding. Go to the dev center, that's where you can download the Xcode 6.1 beta.

Taucher669

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
Xcode 6 DP7 = Xcode 6 Beta7.
It has been said that from Beta6 onwards it should work.
Error 17 seems to be linked with a wrong entry in hosts - now checking ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.