Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_6_6_plus_comp-250x376.jpg
A number of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners have been reporting an issue with the device that causes it to crash and remain stuck in a boot loop following a restart. The issue appears to primarily affect 128 GB models, particularly those with larger app libraries, and some suggest it may be a hardware problem associated with the increased storage available on that device.

While the exact cause of the issues has not been determined, speculation by industry contacts speaking to BusinessKorea (via G for Games) suggests the problem may lie in the controller for the TLC (triple-level cell) NAND flash included in the device. This issue reportedly is new to the iPhone as Apple previously has typically used MLC (multi-level cell) NAND flash in its iPhone units. The only recourse for owners experiencing this boot loop is to bring their phone back to Apple and request a replacement.
Some in the industry point out that considering that technical defects mainly occur in the 128GB version of the iPhone 6 Plus, there might be a problem in the controller IC of triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash. [...]

As numerous reports of low read performance of the Samsung SSD 840 and 840 EVO using TLC NAND flash have surfaced on the Internet, a problem in the controller IC is considered to be the more likely cause of the defects.
The report says Apple could be facing a "huge potential recall" to address the issue, but the claim is purely speculative given that the prevalence of the problem has not been established and an exact cause remains undetermined.

While Apple's iPhone 6 and 6 Plus have generally been praised since their release in September, the devices have experienced a few issues related primarily to software. In a problematic release, Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update disabled cellular service and Touch ID on the new iPhone models. Other reports pointed to a Bluetooth problem with owners claiming to have difficulty connecting to Bluetooth-enabled car stereo systems after purchasing a new iPhone model or updating their existing phone to iOS 8, an issue that appears to have been largely addressed with iOS 8.1.

Article Link: Owners of 128 GB iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Reporting Crashing and Boot Loop Issues

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've noticed people complaining about that, I'm extremely happy to get a 64B model. Mostly for the cost, but now for this possible issue. :cool:

danthe93

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2014
This is quite bad. Apart from being destructive to Apple, I think this shows that Apple is not so serious about its iOS when compared to when Steve Jobs was at the helm of the company.

Technodynamic

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
rumor indeed. I have a 6 128 GB along with a couple friends, never heard of this issue until this article.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
No issue like that with mine at this point.

It's MacRumors. This forum always make issues appear MUCH larger than they actually are. Most likely it's about 20 people complaining of the issue and they'll make it out to be "a large percentage" of users.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
So much for the BEST lineup ever in Apple's history -___- same RAM and same base GB storage and the WORST Mac mini update ever.
Apple is behind in innovation and the quality has gone down ever since the iphone 5 came out.

SDavidson

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2014
Yeah, I've been having similar problems on my 6 Plus.

e.g. Control Centre not working in lock mode after X minutes of sleep; Battery only lasting around 8 hours max; Touch ID is more sensitive and not working as well as my 5S;

smxcan

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
Glad I didn't get one yet. I'm waiting for the 6S Plus or 6+S. Rumor has it it will have 2GB of RAM.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is quite bad. Apart from being destructive to Apple, I think this shows that Apple is not so serious about its iOS when compared to when Steve Jobs was at the helm of the company.

Article says it's likely to be hardware. iOS is software.

arftech

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
The only problem I'm having is when my 6 Plus 128 GB phone is rotated to Landscape mode while using Safari it crashes and reverts back to the home screen. Very frustrating to say the least!

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
No problems here. I have about only 1.5GB of free space on my 128GB

That is going to affect the performance on your device. In order to not affect read and write speed, you're always supposed to keep 10% free space of the capacity on your device (according to Anandtech).

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So far I'm unaffected as well - 128GB 6+ with roughly 35 GB free.

So far I've had the car bluetooth and iOS 8.0.1 problems. Both have since been fixed. Aside from the occasional app crash, my 6+ (and my 6) runs like a dream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.